Night weaning

Options
mommyrunning
mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
Hello ladies. Looking for some tips/advice on night weaning. Here's some background.

She was born full term but spend her first 2 weeks in the NICU due to meconium aspiration and pulmonary hypertension. We weren't allowed to hold or feed her until she was 5 days old. Since she left the hospital she's had no serious health issues. For her first 6 months or so I used both nursing and bottles of breast milk and sometimes formula. Then I became a stay at home mom for the next 9 months and started exclusively nursing her because that was easier than pumping. A few months ago when she was 14 months I went back to work and she had to give up the day time nursing which went pretty well. So then we only did night time nursing. I'd never planned to nurse this long but it worked out so I did. Now that I am pregnant again and she is getting bigger I am ready to stop. She is now 17 months old. Over the last month we have gone from nursing on demand at night to only nursing once before going to bed by gently telling her no milk and offering her a pacifier. At first she would get really upset and have a meltdown. Initially I tried offering a bottle or cup but she'd just get madder and throw it. Now she fuses for a minute or two then accepts the pacifier and goes back to sleep. We do this twice a night on average.

So now we are left with the one last nursing before bed. It's a comfort for her more than nutrition.She eats the same food we eat through out the day so it's not hunger. I've been trying to avoid just stopping the last one cold turkey but I am not sure how to ease her off of it. As soon as she starts to doze off I stop nursing and give her the pacifier. She usually protests for a minute then accepts the pacifier. Anyone have experience or tips for how to stop this last nursing?

Replies

• tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Probably have no ideas you haven't had or haven't tried yet.
    I got lucky with my daughter. She slept through the night at 6 weeks old, only nursing once before bed, until 14 months.
    At 14 months, she completely weaned herself.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't have personal experience with this but two of my girl friends who have had this problem just stopped cold turkey. A rough couple nights and then it was over.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Have you tried shaking up your night routine? If you do a new routine and stop offering maybe she'll go along with it. My son refused to nurse anymore at 13 months. My daughter was doing one last before bed nurse at 14 months. 15 months i stopped offering, and she didn't ask, so i got lucky. Middle of the night when we decided to cut her off then my husband would go in and settle her. If i went in they thought they should nurse. Dada walks in they know he means business and didn't put up much of a fight. Good luck!
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. My husband is great but if he tries to fill in for me she gets more mad. It's like she's saying I can't nurse or have mommy?! I think that I will try changing up the routine & not offering her nursing.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Maybe offer a sippy cup of water instead?
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    Maybe offer a sippy cup of water instead?

I tried that and she gets more upset and throws it :blushing:
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    So last night I waited until she was tired and we went for a short drive and she was out in 5 min. Today when she climbed in my lap tired wanting to nurse I calmly said no milk and told her she was a big girl that didn't need to nurse anymore. She got upset for a minute or two but accepted a pacifier and fell asleep a few minutes later.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are making progress
  • mommyrunning
    Options
    So I am happy to report that we did it. 3 nights of no nursing and little fussing. I guess she was more ready than I thought. She only woke up once last night to find her pacifier and went right back to sleep. Thanks for the support. Now I have 6 months to get ready to start all over again :blushing:
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Now I have 6 months to get ready to start all over again :blushing:

Glad it's going well! With my son -> daughter I had 5 months to start over all again and my daughter -> daughter I only had a six week break! Hope it continues to go well from here on out and stays good after the new one is here!