How the LC/LS paleo diet ruined our health/sanity

Options
smallpalehuman
smallpalehuman Posts: 38 Member
I stumbled across this blog post earlier today and thought I'd share it with the group. I have come across a few blog posts similar to this so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

http://thehealthyjessie.com/2014/01/17/how-the-super-healthy-low-carbsugar-paleo-diet-ruined-our-health-and-sanity/

(I must admit, I don't care much for the blogger's writing. She goes on a foul-mouthed rant and basically tells anyone who doesn't agree with her to F-OFF/shove judgement up their @ss:noway: )

Replies

• maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across this blog post earlier today and thought I'd share it with the group. I have come across a few blog posts similar to this so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

http://thehealthyjessie.com/2014/01/17/how-the-super-healthy-low-carbsugar-paleo-diet-ruined-our-health-and-sanity/

(I must admit, I don't care much for the blogger's writing. She goes on a foul-mouthed rant and basically tells anyone who doesn't agree with her to F-OFF/shove judgement up their @ss:noway: )

I feel like she went through something, took it to an extreme and then went back the other way.. The important thing is that she hopefully is on the right path... personally, its obvious to me that you have to take a little bit of everything you read and apply it to yourself and SEE how you feel.. we are all different.. i feel bad that she suffered.. i also beleive that thats HER experience only... not by far mine or yours or whoevers... bottom line, poor girl.. i hope she finds a way to be balanced and happy.
  • drmartz55
    drmartz55 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I found this to be quite interesting and also the links she has posted- basically points out the same stuff she's experienced, unfortunately .I think she has some good information and bottom line is that everyone is different and you should listen to your body, do what works for you, not necessarily follow every diet whether it's Paleo or Atkins or whatever. I can definitely see that in the long run, unless you have an auto-immune issue and have to be restrictive on the foods you eat, I think I would not stick to Paleo 100% always, and once I've reached my goal weight, I would probably eat some of the foods I eliminated while going Paleo back into my diet but in moderation/occasionally. I'd still eat mostly organic vegies/meats but wouldn't stress out if I had an occasional cup of white rice, some legumes or a couple of potato chips,etc.
  • carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This article to me emphasizes why 80/20 is so important. I bought a awesome looking butternut squash sauce a few days ago. It was all organic, had only 5 ingredients with the first being organic butternut squash, but the last ingredient was organic sugar. I'm glad to say that because of the 80/20 principle, I happily bought it. I don't fear sugar. I plan to have this over zoodles next week. :)
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I would have to imagine that the author's tone can be attributed to the small minority of people in the paleo community (even here) that come off high and mighty and/or arrogant about how they eat. I see it in the CrossFit community as well and it is always gross to come off smug/superior. That being said, responding to snark with more snark only makes for super obnoxious conversations.

Personally, if anyone asks what I do I tell them what works for ME and that they might benefit from what I do but then again they might not. I don't have all the answers nor do I pretend to (except when it comes to being charming and handsome because I've obviously got that on lock! :smooched: )
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would have to imagine that the author's tone can be attributed to the small minority of people in the paleo community (even here) that come off high and mighty and/or arrogant about how they eat. I see it in the CrossFit community as well and it is always gross to come off smug/superior. That being said, responding to snark with more snark only makes for super obnoxious conversations.

Personally, if anyone asks what I do I tell them what works for ME and that they might benefit from what I do but then again they might not. I don't have all the answers nor do I pretend to (except when it comes to being charming and handsome because I've obviously got that on lock! :smooched: )

and Charming COUNTS. :) !! ha ha ha... and being nice.. my cousins are crossfit and they are the ones who in a very NICE way told me about paleo and how my low fat is not ever going work out... since i have been doing it and its has not. but they were nice and charming like you.. which is WHY i started it in the first place...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone in our Paleo group who acts "high and mighty" or "arrogant". However, I can say about myself that my bluntness, no excuses attitude and my differing opinions apparently come across that way to some people. For that, I apologize. I also have a tendency to point out info that I don't agree with, but it's NEVER personal. Discussion is healthy.

ABSOLUTELY, different things work for different people. I also talk about my own personal experience however I never ASSume everyone is the same. All the time I get new information that changes what I believed yesterday. No one knows it all and we should all be open to change and consider the opinions of others. That said, there is nothing wrong with differing opinions and experiences or challenging something that seems wrong (ideally without becoming personally attacking).

All of my friends are aware of my failings and weaknesses; I share openly on my wall. However, here I am usually providing information or my opinions on a subject and my softer side probably doesn't come through (it's my writing style too).

I definitely appreciate the contrasting information that challenges my preconceived ideas, and occasional kick in the *kitten*, that I get from other members and friends or I wouldn't be here. I guess I operate from a "tough love" mentality and walking softly isn't my forte. :flowerforyou:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Two things stick out at me:

1. She sounds like the obsessive type, and her partner seems go-with-the-flow enough to go along for the ride without much resistance. She's basically "blaming" Paleo for something that started before she found Paleo. Hell, she was on a diet that restricted her down to 10 food items at one point (and, I think, enjoying it). I think Paleo is getting blamed, because it happens to be the diet she picked. Veg*n or any other even half-restrictive diet (even calorie-counting, for that matter) would probably have been under fire had she chose it, instead. The only difference is the target of the obsession.

2. It seems that she twisted Paleo into something it really isn't, and I think illustrates the flaw in Cordain's version of Paleo (with its still-inherent kind of fear of fat). She mentions about further and further restricting carbs and sugar. Paleo doesn't require that (in fact, I know of a sweet potato recipe that begs to differ). Some people need that to deal with certain things would do better/best on a heavily carb-restricted diet, but not everyone needs to reduce their carbs to next to nothing. Even Sisson's Primal Blueprint is aimed at those who are overweight and have metabolic syndrome, primarily, and even reiterates time and again that highly active people may be able to consume more carbs. She mentions that she was "bored" of the diet (suggests limited variety), and several of the things she talks about in the last few paragraphs suggests that her fat intake was rather limited (nearly all her carbs in the "I ATE ALL THE FOOD" list were paired with a fat that had a significant amount of saturated fats). I also think she simply wasn't eating enough in general (she even states that she wasn't hungry and barely ate in some instances). Get rid of most of the fats (particularly saturated fats) and all of the carbs, and what are you left with? A ton of boneless, skinless, chicken breast. Of course she was having issues.

Here's the quote:
    Clearly we were ****ed and our bodies were literally starving, particularly funnily enough for CARBOHYDRATES (that devil **** that is making us all fat and sick) and SUGAR. As well as salt, saturated fat, sleep and starch. The s’s for dealing with stress.

I think she puts more emphasis on the carbs, because that's what she obsessed over, but if you look at the things she was eating to feel better, in addition to the carbs -- cheeseburgers, ice cream, butter, raw milk, pie with sauce (? given she's in Australia, I assume "pie" refers to a meat pie, I could be wrong, though) -- what do they all have in common? They don't skimp on the saturated fats. I suspect the scarfing down 2/3 of a cake was more due to her being overzealous with stripping out carbs and her body overcompensating as a result, especially since that was a binge.

Ironically, if you look at her "Nutritional Guidelines" page, it's pulled nearly verbatim off the WAPF website (with credit), and excludes the one about grains. Her guidelines are, for all intents and purposes, the Primal Blueprint.
  • alyssasphone
    Options
    I read this blog post and I wasn't impressed. I can't take blog posts like hers seriously. All that cursing and she reminds her readers constantly that if you disagree with her or think differently to go stick it up your ***. It's abrasive and arrogant. If you really want to get a message out to people that is not the way to do it. Her dramatic way of explaining things makes me doubt the validity of the things she was claiming, it seemed way over exaggerated in my humble opinion.

The point of Paleo is to get people off their dependance of gluten and dairy and meats that are not natural, teach them to make better choices and be aware how their food is processed. Eating grass fed meats is crucial to your health. What the animal eats, you in turn eat and most cows are fed Chicken Litter (Poop, feathers, broken eggs etc. scraped out of the bottom of chicken cages), growth hormones, antibiotics etc. This is just one example.

Paleo diets always have a guideline, a basic plan for what you should eat and not eat but in the end, you have to tailor it to yourself and what works for you.