losing weight after prednisone

Options
I had my first UC flare in the fall of 2012, which we finally controlled with a 6 week run of prednisone (started 40 and tapered to 0 over 6 weeks). I'm in "remission" right now, but my weight is just not budging. I gained 10 pounds during those 6 weeks, and then a little more (3-4) after I stopped the pred.

I've working really hard for the last 2 weeks training for a long bike ride (66 miles), and my weight is just not budging. My target is 1200 cal. net, and my report shows I'm always below that.

I know I just need to keep doing what I'm doing, eating healthy, hitting my calorie and exercise targets, but I'm really frustrated! Has anyone else gone through this? My GI says to relax, and that it takes about 6 months for your body to get back to normal.

Replies

• texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I hope I never take Prednisone again. I haven't taken it for UC but for a totally different condition about 15 years ago. Long term use it is not. As for the weight loss; did your doctor check your Vit D level? Mine was very low and my doc said it has an impact on weight loss...just sayin'.
  • RoeMo326
    RoeMo326 Posts: 17
    Options
    I am we'll aware of the frustration that goes along with prednisone. I have been on and off courses of prednisone since 2006. In the beginning I was on the drug every 4-5 months. I would not lose the weight each time, sticking to my comfort foods after months of flaring.

To be honest, it takes a long time. Your doctor is right. My best advice to you is to live an active life. Exercise and get yourself back in shape. There's always a "lag" after prednisone. By getting yourself active again you will set yourself up to lose when your body starts responding.

Good luck and try not to get too frustrated. We all understand here.
    I had my first UC flare in the fall of 2012, which we finally controlled with a 6 week run of prednisone (started 40 and tapered to 0 over 6 weeks). I'm in "remission" right now, but my weight is just not budging. I gained 10 pounds during those 6 weeks, and then a little more (3-4) after I stopped the pred.

I've working really hard for the last 2 weeks training for a long bike ride (66 miles), and my weight is just not budging. My target is 1200 cal. net, and my report shows I'm always below that.

I know I just need to keep doing what I'm doing, eating healthy, hitting my calorie and exercise targets, but I'm really frustrated! Has anyone else gone through this? My GI says to relax, and that it takes about 6 months for your body to get back to normal.
  • thenextstep
    thenextstep Posts: 54
    Options
    Hello, I have crohns and have been on and off prednisone for six years. I gained forty pounds since I started taking the lovely drug. I couldn't budge my weight either. I talked to my regular doctor about it, instead of my GI doc. She tested a bunch of stuff in my bloods to make sure it hasn't played up my hormone balance and thyroid. Also has put me on metiformin to help with my weight loss. I'm down a few pounds now but it feels like it takes forever
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's tough. I had been off prednisone a while before I could lose weight (of course, I had a total colectomy too!). It took two years to get healthy enough again to work out regularly and eat a reasonable diet.

Then, I felt like I had suffered so much that eff it, I was just going to enjoy my life for a while. And, finally, things fell into place and I realized that had a chance to feel ok again.

When I don't feel like working out, I think back to the days when all I wanted was to have the strength and energy to exercise.

*I do remember that I got the impression that when people found out I had a digestive disease, they expected me to be a sickly little waif. When I explained that I was on steroids that make me gain weight, they thought of anabolic steroids and figured I must be lazy if I wasn't Ah-nold muscle-y. SMH.

or, people would share their experience of taking prednisone at lower doses for like a week and explain (with an air of superiority) that THEY didn't gain any weight or lost it right away when they went off.

I hated that medicine, but it saved my life more than once, I think.

It's a tough road. Prednisone is hard to overcome, but it can be done but it DOES take longer and it is HARDER. No one can tell us any different and those of us who have been on steroids understand this.

Good luck!
  • CamillaHerold
    CamillaHerold Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Prednisone is the proverbial double-edged sword. It definitely saved my life quite a few times. Especially when I was in a bad flare and ended up hospitalized. That first bag of steroids would make me feel like I might survive. Over 10 years I gained about 45 lbs. If I didn't flare for a while, I'd lose a portion of the weight, but then I would always flare again and gain the weight back. Between UC and bronchitis/pneumonia, I've been on 40 mg for a month and stair-stepped down for 3 months, about 10 times in the last 6 years.
    I have had UC since 1987, and back then my doctors tried lots of other drugs, asacol, imuran, etc , none of which worked for long. Gradually I ran out of options, and in recent years prednisone was the only thing that worked. Actually Remicade worked well but my insurance would not allow more than 3 treatments. I have been on Humira now for almost a year and have had only one minor flare, and this time I refused to even discuss prednisone. I have lost 32 of those 45 lbs and have absolutely no intention of ever taking prednisone again for any condition. There are always other options. I feel that I have a strong argument for refusing it: over time it wastes your bones and weakens your adrenal system among other things. The weight gain it causes is also bad, but nothing compared to ruining your bones.
    To lose the prednisone weight, you will have to fight hard, especially in the exercise area. I think its more about exercise than dieting, because with UC you have so many dietary issues. Focus on fitness. You will have to be as strong as it is powerful. It is a mountain you will have to climb over the hard way, and I wish you great stamina and determination on the journey!
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with UC in July 2013. 8 weeks on Prednisone. I've been flaring for the last 3 weeks...but I don't want to go see my doctor...because I know he'll put me back on it. I'm so freaking depressed about it. Last time, I gained 15 pounds...which I still haven't lost...but I could deal with that...I can deal with the sleeplessness...but I can't deal with how it made me feel. I wasn't myself. I was so incredibly lonely. I felt like I was the only person in the entire world. I didn't feel like I was in my body...but that I was floating outside of it watching myself. I'm dreading this...but I have to call my doctor today and get in to see him...I hope there's another option....I can't go through that again :(
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Tell your doctor no more steroids! I am on Asacol pills and they work for me. My niece takes Remicade which works for her-- it is taken interveniously, though Both my niece and I have gone the steroid route and it does NOT work! How bad are your flare ups? Are you losing a lot of blood?
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I wrote those down and I'll take them in when I see him. I didn't know I could just refuse it....I told him I didn't want to take them again and he told me I better hope not to flare again...I'm not bad yet for blood...my flare up has been getting progressively worse and I'm probably only at a 5 right now.

Getting this...has made me feel so small. People don't get it. They trivialize it. In a way I'm thankful that I now know how to react to people when they say they have a chronic disease...because before I trivialized it too...not to be mean...but just because I didn't know. And I know that's where other people are coming from...but when friends get mad because I just can't do the same things I did before....it...makes me feel guilty. Like I should just suck it up. But climbing a 15 km summit with no bathrooms...just isn't possible on a flare. I did it once and it was horrible. Sorry, I don't think I've come to terms with this yet :(
  • Flynnskie
    Flynnskie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try a low sodium diet and drink only water while on steroids. Fluid retention is the main cause for the round face and weight gain with steroids. Also when you're hungry, eat smaller meals every 2 to 3 hours.

Everyone has their different opinions on steroids but if your condition is bad enough, in my opinion, you should take them to get out of the flare and try your best to avoid the things that make it worse. I hate steroids but in some cases it's the only thing that can help me at the time.

Best of luck. Hope you feel better:)
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i am currently on prednisone for 6 weeks on my way stepping down from it... first time on it ever, had the worst flare up i've ever had 15-20 times a day, blood all day every day, going on asacol didn't help as it's preventative and i was already too far gone.... (i controlled with diet before). prednisone has kept me out of the hospital where is where i was likely headed. i have been eating very cleanly and cal counting as i am already overweight and don't want to gain on the pred. so far so good. i am also on the asacol and will stay on it so hopefully that and a good diet will keep me healthy and in remission and not ending up back here again. ouch :/ I am being very diligent with my intake and limiting refined carbs/sugars and eating lots of protein, good fats veg and fruit.... am hoping to continue to lose (even slowly) which i have been or at least maintain til I am off... so long as I can avoid gaining would be nice.... now i have had a lovely head cold for a week, that does't seem to be going away... ugh yay prednisone lol