Coping With Ulcerative Colitis

Options
JPLYLER09
JPLYLER09 Posts: 78 Member
I have been off my meds for 3+ months now & then today, when I had a bowel movement, I noticed there was a pool of blood, in the toilet. :sad: The crazy thing is I had no signs of a flare up coming on. No abdominal pain, no urgent bathroom runs, nor did I have a decrease in appetite or I'd have more weight loss :tongue:
Maybe it's time to change my diet, and get back on the wagon and start working out daily :smile: Maybe it's stress :explode:

Besides going back on my meds, along with diet & exercise does anyone have any other suggestions to help stay in remission???

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Remission to me doesn't seem to be related to anything else. I've been in full flare while on medications and doing my very best to take care of myself in every way possible. For the past 6 months or so, I've been in full remission without meds, under high levels of stress, and eating the no-nos my doctor warned me about (nuts, seeds, berries). Giant shoulder shrug. I'm happy but I can't figure it out.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I don't know why mine started or stopped, but I have noticed that refined sugar (and maybe now dairy) seems to be a trigger. Has anything else (e.g. allergies) kicked in?
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've had colitis since 1997 and every flare was caused by anxiety/stress. Diet had little if anything to do with it.

Regarding your sudden blood. Play it by ear. It could be something else like a hemmorhoid.

My flares don't start with a pool of blood but rather; gurgling feelings for a month, followed by white mucous in the stool, followed by blood.
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have had UC for 30 years and my diet has never been a cause of flare ups for me. And my flares come up as quickly as yours does. During my flares, I lose a ton of blood. The only thing that works somewhat for me to get back into remission, is upping my Asacol. My flares are due to the change of seasons--especially when winter starts-- I will flare 2 weeks later. If we have a sudden heat wave in spring- I will flare. You get the picture.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Probiotics? I had my colon removed and am waaaaay better off. But, I still get the occasional flare of pouchitis or just increased 'activity' from stress/anxiety/blueberries or whatever.

I do seem to do better with probioitcs, but they didn't do much during bad flares... I took VSL#3 for a while, but now use Culturelle.

Hope this is nothing and goes away quickly...
  • Jerrielynn
    Options
    I am having a terrible time with my colitis. I was on Uceris and Lialda and the Dr just changed me to Prednisone, Imuran and Lialda. I feel my flare ups are caused by stress also. My DR also told me that I could eat anything I want and not worry about it but I am wondering if I should stay away from dairy. I am not a good eater to start with. I read on one forum that you should eat a lot of fiber then on the next one it says you shouldn't so who knows. I have had this since 2008 was in remission until I had my gall bladder out in 2010 and it's been up and down every since.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am having a terrible time with my colitis. I was on Uceris and Lialda and the Dr just changed me to Prednisone, Imuran and Lialda. I feel my flare ups are caused by stress also. My DR also told me that I could eat anything I want and not worry about it but I am wondering if I should stay away from dairy. I am not a good eater to start with. I read on one forum that you should eat a lot of fiber then on the next one it says you shouldn't so who knows. I have had this since 2008 was in remission until I had my gall bladder out in 2010 and it's been up and down every since.

I asked my GI about dairy. He said it's not a factor as it's processed in the small intestine, not the colon.
  • Shaynelle
    Shaynelle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't dismiss dairy, you may have developed an intolerance not related to UC. I know if I drink a glass of milk I'm running to the bathroom a short while later. But I was fine with milk growing up, and I can have milk in moderation.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I had the MRT test for food sensitivities done and was shocked all all my food triggers. Have been on a Non-Dairy, Gluten Free diet since Feburary and was doing well until I got a flu and took some antibiotics....been in the hospital four days now with another Severe UC Flare:(

Would highly recommend the MRT..i seriously dont understand why docs didnt along time ago!
    Trying to eliminate foods without abase to work from is a long frustrating experience for someone with UC.

Wish you Luck!
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had the MRT test for food sensitivities done and was shocked all all my food triggers. Have been on a Non-Dairy, Gluten Free diet since Feburary and was doing well until I got a flu and took some antibiotics....been in the hospital four days now with another Severe UC Flare:(

Would highly recommend the MRT..i seriously dont understand why docs didnt along time ago!
    Trying to eliminate foods without abase to work from is a long frustrating experience for someone with UC.

Wish you Luck!

Thanks so much for that info. I am going to my GI doc soon and am going to bring it up to him about an MRT test. ❤️❤️
  • Flynnskie
    Flynnskie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2001 while I was in high school. It took a very long time for me to realize that I had to start keeping a food log to see what foods triggered my flares. This was hard bc it seemed like everything, even water, would make me have to go. The only thing that helped at the time was prednisone. As I got older, I came to realize that chronic stress was my biggest problem. Colitis definitely causes anxiety and depression too.

After really keeping up with my food log, I realized that dairy, citrus, carbonation, greasy/oily foods and gluten were definitely making my flares worse. I do not think foods cause the flares but I believe certain foods, stress, lack of exercise and/sleep can keep you from getting better.

Hope you are feeling better by now
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    sugar, carbonated drinks and sugar/dairly combo (ice cream or iced capps) are the worse for me so now i avoid them. pair those with stress and bam. owwie! but over all sugar i am learning is where it's worst for me
  • diamondrose26
    diamondrose26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow UCers! I am having a really difficult time with mine lately just frustrated I have not figured out something in this flare of over a year. I suppose I was lucky for nearly 9 years to have minimal, short-term flares well-controlled by meds. Two biologics did not help, currently naturopathic for 6 months but not quite getting anywhere yet. Giving hormone treatment a shot and I may be ready to go back to conventional meds at my gastro appt next month - just recently heard of Entyvio so I'm interested in trying that out.

And as far as the food goes back to an attempted SCD, seeing how well I can stick with it. I got food sensitivity testing and nothing to avoid there, but mainly trying to avoid inflammatory foods like grains and dairy.

Any support appreciated!
  • Jerrielynn
    Options
    I have been feeling great for the past 4 months. I am taking Humira 2 times a month. My problem is I can't lose any weight. I've had my thyroid checked and nothing there. I am walking about 12 miles a week and for the most part keeping my calories at 1200. Any suggestions, help would be appreciated. I am at a loss.