Same meal, two different PP glucose readings?

LoupGarouTFTs
LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
Yesterday, before going to work milking goats, I had the following breakfast:

Coffee with 2 hazelnut creamers and a packet of Sweet n Low
Yoplait light yogurt with 2 tbsp finely diced walnuts
Lender's onion bagel with a slice of American cheese and an over-easy egg cooked with butter-flavored cooking spray.

My 2-hour bgl was 143, having worked with the goats for about 1.5 hours. The reading surprised me, so I had the same breakfast this morning and, after just relaxing at home, the same meal gave me a 2-hour bgl of 114. I thought exercise was supposed to lower blood glucose? I admit there were a few cranky goats yesterday, but none that would raise my stress levels quite that much.

Replies

• It's great that you're testing your blood sugar and using the information to learn more about how various foods and activity affect you. Was your fasting blood sugar reading different the past two days as well? ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    My fasting bgl was 99 today and was 102 yesterday. I'm trying to look for trends, since I've noticed that soy does bad things to me. LOL Better to figure out what I can eat now, while I'm trying to get off the metformin, rather than wait and have all kinds of ups and downs when I'm trying to control my diabetes with my diet, in my opinion.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    In my experience exercise raises the blood sugar immediately after and then lowers it later. My morning routine is get up and take a fasting reading, exercise for 45 minutes on my stationary bike, and then eat breakfast about 45 minutes after I exercise. When I do a fasting and then before breakfast reading it is very common for my before breakfast reading to be higher than my fasting. My after breakfast reading usually has a lower response than if I hadn't exercised.

Also remember your body is not a perfect machine. You can eat the same meal and get a different glucose response. I have the same breakfast pretty much every morning, but I don't have the exact same response. Some days it is larger than others. However I am still in the normal range, so I don't worry.

At this point the only time I do post exercise readings is if I am feeling hypoglycemic after exercise. I know that if I'm low then, there is a crash coming, and I need to take action.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    We think of stress, from all the media hype, as an emotional/physical response that happens to us in tense situations. But there are other forms.

Did you sleep okay both nights? Were you equally hydrated at both readings? Do you have allergies? Etc., and so on.

When my nurse educator mentioned some things that cause elevated BG, they seemed to me at first counter-intuitive. But you could link many of them back to stress.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Great responses, folks, thanks! I'm relatively new to this diabetes thing, so I'm still trying to make sense of things. I have chronic insomnia, since before I can remember to be honest, and I've recently been having interrupted sleeping patterns. Although I did wake up in the middle of the night again last night and once again had trouble falling back to sleep, I had the luxury of sleeping in this morning. That could possibly have something to do with it, then? If I'm eating this breakfast and getting normal readings (or close to normal readings) having eaten it, am I safe in assuming that it's not the food but the other factors that are causing the fluctuations?

ETA: Whenever I work with the herd or do any exercise I am careful to stay hydrated. I typically drink a 20-ounce bottle of water/hour when I'm with the goats just because it gets hot here in Mississippi and I will sweat a lot some days.
  • ecclesse
    ecclesse Posts: 42 Member
    I have also checked my glucose levels within minutes and got different results. The monitors only give you ball park numbers. Keep doing the right things and eventually you will be playing in another ball park than you are today.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    I have also found my bg numbers are higher when I exercise - moderate intensity. But the trend I see is in my fasting bg numbers. I have read that muscles release glucose-like stuff when they are used. Maybe that is what's going on.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,302 Member
    Get a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution; it is what started me on my journey to eliminate meds after 12 years on them. I did and my numbers are great. I list all of the books I have read to date on my profile, too.