I felt sick on a cheat day!

Options
I ate an avocado burrito in a flour tortilla with some chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant. My stomach started cramping and I felt sick. It made me not want to cheat again! What Dr. Cordain says in his paleo diet book is that there are so many paleo foods to choose from and eat that many times you won't feel like cheating because there are so many good paleo foods to eat! I can believe this!

Replies

• carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Going out to eat is terrible for me. If I feel like something, my first though is trying to find something comparable I can make at home. Search for Paleo tortillas on Pinterest and you will find tons. Yah, I'm with you. I had a wonderful Whole 30. I felt awesome. Then I went out to dinner and tried to eat mostly Paleo. I even avoided the bread plate. I felt miserable.
  • drmartz55
    drmartz55 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yeah exactly, that's the reason I don't have cheat days, after all why risk everything I've worked hard to achieve just to get sick & start over again. I guess I'm lucky that my hubby dislikes eating out so we don't - I cook everything from Paleo recipes, even though my mom & him eat other stuff once in awhile. My only cheats would be diet Coke really. :happy:
  • claychick2
    claychick2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think that I need to stop splurging sometimes when I go out. I usually end up feeling awful afterward or the next day. My stomach gets so messed up, and this is with only minor splurges like sauces.

I hope you're feeling better!

Any suggestions for what to do when you do feel awful after a cheat day/meal? It's not like I can eat Saltines or things like I used to.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The 80/20 rule should more look like "if you are stuck and there is nothing else good you can eat and if fasting is not an option" then you take the fail or cheat but it should never be a planned part of the week or it will get us every time. I always opt for a salad if there is nothing I can justify, we went to lunch today and I took the bunless burger and a small side salad, I was stuffed and my wife and son snarked down on items with wheat in them and some deep fried stuff which doesn't tempt me at all anymore.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand a "cheat" day. Also, I think 80/20 is for people who are healthy and at a good weight and firmly entrenched in a healthy lifestyle, not for people starting out or who still have health issues that they want to resolve. Aiming purposely to only be 80% will lead to one struggling constantly, likely falling short of 80%, and barely experiencing the wonderful benefits that Paleo lifestyle has to offer.

Dr. Cordain is NOT the best Paleo resource imo. His was the first book on the subject that I found and his anti-fat stance drove me away. It then took another 3 years for me to find the Primal Blueprint, another 2 years to get sick of being sick and dying, and here I am 2 more years after that. :)

Best advice I could ever give anyone: "never cheat with wheat".