Meditation/Relaxation exercises for childbirth?

Options
jr235
jr235 Posts: 201 Member
Has anyone tried these? I was a mess during the early part of my labor with my daughter. I was just so freaked out, and then crying, and then humiliated by the crying. Later in the labor I was ok because I was focused on pushing, but I stopped progressing at 4/5 cm for about 8 hours (after over a day of labor) and just had to hang out while I was waiting for the pitocin to kick in.

A big part of it was that I didn't have anyone with me, and wasn't allowed to use my ereader or listen to music because they are electronics and could supposedly interfere with equipment. So I essentially had nothing to do but psych myself out during my extremely looooooong labor. This time I will come prepared with at least a book. I'm with a different doctor and delivering at a different hospital, and my doctor says I will be allowed these things. I will also have my husband with me this time, so that will make a huge difference.

Sooo anywho has anyone tried any? Were they helpful or not?

Replies

• katey_my_lady
    katey_my_lady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm a FTM due in October. I'm doing the Hypnobabies class which has lots of tracks for self-hypnosis/deep relaxation. You might try it! Best of luck to you.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I had an epidural with my 1st 2 babies at around 5cm. Prior to that lots of breathing. With the 1st I thought I just had to tough it out so I sat there gripping the bed tears running down my checks but was rewarded for my effort by having my epidural completely numb me for the pushing so I didn't even feel that part. For the 2nd I felt less silly about trying different things to lessen the pain like walking, sitting on a ball, & changing positions. I found myself more comfortable on my knees hugging the back of the bed. I am pregnant with
    #3 and have decided to go with a midwife this time. We've already talked about how she will help labor go more smoothly so I am looking forward to that support. My husband is great but with the first 2 he looked scared to touch me :>

Here's some tips I found.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2057451_relieve-labor-pains-naturally.html

http://www.laboraide.com/article/1628-how-to-relieve-labor-pain-naturally
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 babies and kind of used hypnobirthing techniques I guess - just focusing on other things, and breathing! I also had a TENS machine (it sort of electric shocks you lol) and used gas and air.

With my first, I arrived at hospital, was left for a bit, then when checked I was 10cm. I was induced with my 2nd, and it was pretty quick, just over 4 hours. My third was back to back and I used the birthing pool.

I found it helpful to just focus on nice things to get me through contractions, and think that every contraction is one closer to meeting my baby. I used just gas and air for all three. I'm in England by the way.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I took a Lamaze class...kinda was useless for me. Its all about breathing techniques and massage techniques. Too bad I didn't want to be touched, nor did I want to be "hee hee"-ing and "hoo-hoo"-ing because it felt...dopey. But the deep breathing was very helpful...pretty much something you can practice on your own beforehand. I also read a book about the Bradley Method, and did my best to use visualization techniques (basically visualize your body working as a separate natural force, and accepting it instead of physically fighting it by getting worked up). I practiced meditation throughout my pregnancy on a daily basis near the end. The best time was during my nightly bath to relax me. On top of all that, I was given an Ambien which helped me relax...although it kinda cracked me out a bit at the same time. They thought I wasn't in labor, and assumed it would help me sleep, but I went from 2cm to my daughter being delivered in about 6 hours. But lemme tell you, those first two cm took FOREVER.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

Colecake, I didn't even think to ask for anxiety meds! I used to have panic attacks, but haven't since my life has become, well, less panic inducing. I've never taken a lamaze class, and ya that style of breathing seems goofy to me.

I've been listening to relaxation guided meditations and just practicing deep breathing exercises. I guess it will help or it won't, but I don't really see it hurting and at least its helping with my sleep! I wasn't thinking of this as a replacement for an epidural, which I still completely and 100% want. Thankfully my doctor this time around is much more epidural friendly. ;)
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Take a hypnobirthing class or look up at-home programs. I read a book by Ina May (Guide to Childbirth) and it is AMAZING! I also took a labor and delivery class that was very helpful.