Where do you put your rest day?

Options
RenewedRunner
RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
If you have one (some of yall maniacs are right now googling what exactly "rest day" means. I don't mean you :laugh: )

Before your long run, after the long run, some random place in the middle of the week?

Right now I have mine before my long run and with a long yoga class the day after the run.

Replies

• electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I like to swim too so I only run every second day (3-4 days a week) and I swim 2 times, my rest day usually is either Monday (it was today) or Wednesday. I do my long runs on Saturday or Sunday
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I only on four runs per week at the moment, so have rest day on Wednesday or Thursday, largely driven by my work commitments. days I travel for work I have four to five hours of commuting so that pretty much stifles any opportunity to train on top of a ten hour working day. I'm generally doing a tempo session on a Tuesday, so whichever of Wednesday or Thursday that I do train it's rowing or cycling.

Saturdays are my long ride day, somewhere in the order of 40-50km at the moment, building towards LSD run on a Sunday.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My schedule is right now:

Monday: hills and strength or plyo
    tuesday: 2 runs- morning/ evening
    wed- active rest
    thurs- speed/fartlek plus strength
    fri- easy run plus yoga
    sat- long run
    sunday- full rest (though I admit sometimes I lift a little here if I didn't fit it in during the week)
  • Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    Weekly schedule right now is

Monday: weight lifting for about an hour, then a half hour with a personal trainer
    Tuesday: mid distance run, climbing at a rock gym for about 2 hours
    Wednesday: off
    Thursday: speed work or hills, climbing at the rock gym for about 2 hours
    Friday: short easy run
    Saturday: weight lifting, long run
    Sunday: weight lift, short run

If I go hiking or climbing on the weekend, things get bumped or I take an extra day off when needed.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My rest days rotate depending on weather and schedule. Right now i have 2. My weekly schedule:

Mon-fri - 3 days of doubles, am/pm split
    1 day of either hills, 800s or tempo
    1 rest day
    Sat - swimming with 4 y.o.s and possibly my long run
    Sun - Long run if i didn't do it Saturday

i fit yoga and body weight strength where ever I can.
  • Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    I am pretty sure doubles of running would kill me.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much stopped taking rest days and just cross train instead but when I did take one it was the day after my long run.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Active recovery is a beautiful thing!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I haven't really needed one lately, but I don't run hard day-to-day and use races as my speedwork. So far, so good.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I usually bike on my rest day.

But my running rest day is Tuesday; my long run is Saturday... So It's kind of in the middle of everything.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'm following Hal Higdons Half Marathon Intermediate.
    Mine are on Fridays.
    I plan to do yoga and other stretching. Plus foam rolling. And potentially my physical therapy exercises
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Recovery runs on Wednesday and Fridays and complete rest on Sundays.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Day after long runs are usually rest days for me
  • SecretAgent27
    SecretAgent27 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I run 5 days a week. My rest days are on Thursday and Sunday. Long Runs on Saturday.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I follow Hanson's and run 6 days a week, so my rest day from running is Wednesday (long runs are on Sunday), so right in the middle. It's actually between speed work Tuesdays and tempo run Thursdays.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Mondays only because that is my most busy day of the week. If I am free I might still do yoga or something on rest days.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't have a certain day that is my rest day, though it is usually mid-to-late week that I take it. It just depends on what day I feel the most tired. I try to follow my body's queues on that. If I still feel energetic and awesome on Wednesday, I'm not going to take a rest day just because it says so on my calendar, but if I do speedwork on Thursday and am feeling sore the next day, I'll make Friday my rest day that week.

I run 6 days a week, and I have the same types of running work outs every week, but I don't always do them on the same day each week. I know some people have, for example, every Tuesday being Hill Day or whatever, but for me, as long as I get my Hill Day in at some point in the week, I don't care what day it happens on. It keeps my weeks from becoming the exact same thing, and helps me stay less "bored", especially when I start increasing my mileage. When my running routine is always the same especially when I'm logging a lot of miles, I get mentally burned out, so I am the type that needs to constantly change up my routes, my terrain, the time of day I'm running, or even just do things like buy new shirts to "break in"... something. Sometimes a new pair of socks is all it takes to motivate me through a sluggish week! ^_^

When I take a rest day, I make it a true rest day (as in no strength training, no cross-training... I walk places because I live downtown, but that's it. No other exercise allowed LOL! Honor thy Rest Day and keep it holy!)
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Currently my long run is Sunday, rest days are typically Friday and Monday (thought I will be running today). And by rest I mean I don't workout except for some stretching and rolling. But I will rest whenever I feel necessary.
  • brentb71
    brentb71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mine is also the day after my long run.
    Typical schedule is:

M - Rest
    T - Run/Strength
    W - Run
    Th - Cross/Strength
    F - Run
    Sa- Run
    Su - Run
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My rest day is either the day before a long run (if I work the day before) or the day after; however, I did the runner's world run streak this year and had easier recovery never taking a rest day than I have taking a day off. Even if it was just a mile the day after a long run, I think it helped shake things out better, so full-on rest days may be out the window soon...