Safe running; what do you take with you for protection?

Options
2»

Replies

• RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm not worry about my safety while I run here in runners paradise (Boston). First of all I run with a partner, my 4 y.o. in the jogging stroller. We would not make the best target for human predators. It would be way too much hassle to take down the lady with the baby carriage. Also there are about 8,000 other runners on my path every day. For animals, sometimes I'm slowed down by families of ducks, geese or even wild turkeys, but they usually let me by. The dogs here are well behaved snobby city dogs that generally don't notice others.

I am pretty sure though, that with the amount of time i spend on the river (twice a day 3 days a week once a day 2 more times) that eventually I'm going to be the person that finds the dead body floating in the water. :-(
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I don't bring anything with me, I live in a very safe area with strict dog laws.

We have pretty strict dog laws and that didn't stop me from getting attack. The lady who owned the dog wasn't following the laws.

That doesn't stop me from running with nothing though. If I know I will run through the dog's neighborhood, I have a large stick with a knot on the end of it to carry with me. Last time, I defended myself with my fists and my legs, kicking. And of course screaming at it like the scared girl I was!!! LOL

out on the road itself, I feel pretty safe, I most worry about cars.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I had a pepper spray but it sprayed a stream at the dog who had no idea what it was and couldn't care less. My running partner kicked it while i called the police and the stupid owner looked passively on. Then the spray decided to freeze up when I tested it and it doesn't work. I tried an air horn and blasted it at a truck that was too close as a warning and it leaked on my hands. So I read on here about a whistle and I'm going to try it . I'm not going far from home anymore anyway. Not since the dog issue down the road.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Glad I live in the UK, we don't have any big predators to think about (well there are wild boar in the south of England, but I'm in Scotland), I always let someone know where I'm going, have my phone with me (use it to track my runs more than anything) and take the dogs with me (over 100kg between them and their big dogs that are a bit snotty with strangers), never had an issue out on a run, but did have a guy get a bit arsey when out on a walk with the dogs (one of the dogs didn't get off the track when he approached on the mountain bike), minute he started getting a bit aggresive the dogs all moved in front of me and stared him down, he quieted down quickly and went on his way, nothing like 100kg of ridgeback that aren't afraid to take on lions putting someone in their place!!!
  • GillianMcK
    Options
    I am pretty sure though, that with the amount of time i spend on the river (twice a day 3 days a week once a day 2 more times) that eventually I'm going to be the person that finds the dead body floating in the water. :-(

My friend says this is why he does't trust runners, they're always the one's finding bodies, it can't be a coincidence!!!
  • roxanethree
    roxanethree Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to run in the country but I'm too scared of dogs running out at me and you don't know what they'll do when they reach you. I have my phone with me and stick to town or the conservation area behind my house. I'd really love to run without being scared.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I don't take much with me, really (though I probably should). I take an ID with me on long runs, and my phone if I feel like I might not make it through my 2-3 hour slog... but I mostly stick to trails and familiar streets, so I don't worry about any trouble. I've had some friendly dogs trail me in the past, but they weren't aggressive in any way, just playful and a bit under-foot. I had someone follow me through some trees on a trail-next-to-the-trail once (many years ago), but I just went a different direction the way back and it was fine. I mostly worry about cars, because drivers tend not to look out for pedestrians at ALL in my city :/
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What do you carry for safety?

Situational awareness, wit and charm :)
    Have you ever had to use your "protection"?

Situational awareness, yes. Wit and charm, not really; probably just as well...
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I run with my roadID (a bracelet with my name, health card number and two phone numbers on it). Apart from that, I just run in areas that I feel are safe - residential areas or along cycle paths or sidewalks where there are other people out and about being active.
  • Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    I don't bring anything with me, I live in a very safe area with strict dog laws.

We have pretty strict dog laws and that didn't stop me from getting attack. The lady who owned the dog wasn't following the laws.

That doesn't stop me from running with nothing though. If I know I will run through the dog's neighborhood, I have a large stick with a knot on the end of it to carry with me. Last time, I defended myself with my fists and my legs, kicking. And of course screaming at it like the scared girl I was!!! LOL

out on the road itself, I feel pretty safe, I most worry about cars.

so sorry that happened to you. Now I am going to be really paranoid on my run today.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I always carry my cell phone and pepper spray clutched in my right hand. People and wild animals are around but what scares me are the loose aggressive dogs. Nothing scares them off and I have sprayed several. It gives me enough time to find a stick and head for the edge of the dog's territory. I have also kicked a dog in the face that was going for my foot while biking. I hit one dog three times with the spray before he got the point; the last time the owner saw it and the dog hasn't been loose since. If I'm on the road instead of trails I am hyper aware of my surroundings and try to be prepared- cars, dogs, cows, coyotes, whatever is around.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I have on a couple of occasions carried a knife, but I don't normally carry anything. I run either in my safe neighborhood (Chihuahuas and cars are the biggest nuisance), or at a major park here in Houston with dedicated jogging and nature trails (and a lot of people). The worst thing on the trails is the occasional snake. Otherwise, rabbits, butterflies, and mountain bikers are all I deal with.

I wear a Road ID because I don't usually have my wallet. I do listen to music, but I only ever wear one headphone and keep the volume down so that I'm aware of my surroundings. Awareness is key.

I've seen someone die while I was out running, but it was a bike/car accident I witnessed. Was a sad reminder that anything can happen at any time. Be as safe and smart as you can out there, but nothing's guaranteed.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I don't carry anything though I did see another runner with an umbrella to protect her against the buzzard that's been swooping around people's heads in the Scottish countryside where I live. My only safety precautions are not to use the same route at the same time every day (or week), and to wear hi-viz gear in low light so car drivers can see me. How many people with weapons etc. on here have ever actually used them? I can't help thinking it's more about reassurance (and FEELING vulnerable) than actually being at serious risk.

ETA: the dogs I see in the countryside tend to be properly trained. It's the little yappy ones in parks that run at me.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I just run with my Road ID... At 4:30 in the morning, traffic is minimal on my road runs...but I hate loose dogs.... when I'm on the trails, I just keep my eyes open for bears and hope they think I'm not appetizing
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i too live in a safe area with strict dog laws, but that doesn't mean the occasional dog doesn't get loose. there are a lot of wild life here like deer, foxes and wolves. i've taken a small pocket knife with me once or twice, in case a dog charged at me, but that's about it.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    What do you carry for safety?

Situational awareness, wit and charm :)
    Have you ever had to use your "protection"?

Situational awareness, yes. Wit and charm, not really; probably just as well...

sums it up for me. I have carried a rape whistle but nobody has given me a reason to blow it.
  • GillianMcK
    Options
    I did see another runner with an umbrella to protect her against the buzzard that's been swooping around people's heads in the Scottish countryside where I live.
    ETA: the dogs I see in the countryside tend to be properly trained. It's the little yappy ones in parks that run at me.

Don't have any aggresive buzzards in my part of Scotland, and reading the other posts about people worrying about bears, coyotes, snakes etc was thinking how good we have it, living in a country where you don't really have to worry about large predators, although the midgies can be down right vicious!!!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Haha, we don't have (as many) midges on the east coast! Just massive great birds swooping at our heads. You win some, you lose some.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I've never carried anything, but I will probably start doing so. I just moved to a rough area (it's supposed to be "up and coming") and although I'm only a few blocks from nice parts of town... in those "few blocks" it takes to get there I'm such a target. This neighborhood has clearly never seen a neon-wearing blonde bouncing around in spandex and I feel so uncomfortable the way everyone glares. Men shout at me from houses & cars and slow down to try & talk to me... I really shouldn't run around here but sometimes it's just too convenient to jump out the front door for a run.

SO I just signed up to be part of a trial for these new phone cases which have an emergency alert button. I guess if you press the button it immediately calls the police, texts 5 people of your choice that you are in trouble with your GPS coords, omits a loud noise and turns on your phone light, etc. I can't wait for it to come in the mail!

Yikes, now that I've really thought about how unsafe my area is, I might start carrying my small camping knife.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    All these dog stories freak me out immensely. That is my number one fear. I've run lots of trails with coyotes, but I'm still more fearful of early morning runs in my neighborhood with all the damn dogs not secured in yards... The coyotes could care less about me :)