Chewing gum like crazy tonite!

Options
mytime6630
mytime6630 Posts: 4,221 Member
I am such an emotional eater, and have been struggling so much. I tend to get so hungry in the evenings. I eat plenty during the day (around 1400 cal), so I KNOW I am not hungry. Its just from stress, working too much, tired, etc etc etc.

So I am still working tonite, and want so badly to go and grab something to eat - something to munch on. But I know I have to stop this.

So -- chewing gum tonite, and drinking water.

How do you guys stop this cycle of eating at nite, when you know that you are eating for other reasons?

Replies

• SquashedChocolateFrog
    Options
    Tea - fruit tea, herbal tea whatever - I'm at work until midnight most nights and tea really helps to quell any hunger pangs. I also make sure I have tons of small portioned snacks that I can eat throughout the evening, usually something like baby carrots, red peppers, or sugar snap peas - something healthy and light, but very filling- you could even try a light miso or low-sodium cup of soup.
  • SquashedChocolateFrog
    Options
    I think it's also important to make sure that if the evening is when you're the most hungry, to make sure you're having a fairly sizeable evening meal, preferably with plenty of protein to keep you full for longer :)
  • BusyBirdMommy
    Options
    Gum is a really great idea!

It's terrible for my teeth, but sometimes I will suck on a sucker. It's not perfect, but it helps.
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello!! That's so funny!! I'm sitting here and logged on because I'm having a difficult day, well, actually, I had a difficult morning and I'm trying to stay on target for the rest of day. I'm sitting here chomping on a pack of gum and I have my gallon of water out. I'm going to make baked chicken and cauliflower for dinner, but the chicken is taking a very long time to defrost.I also decided that the other thing I'm going to do to try to help myself avoid overeating is to log on here and post/vent. Don't know whether anyone is listening or not, but I hope in time to feel a part of some sort of small group!
  • sharonavis14
    sharonavis14 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When you find a tried and true way to stop eating at night, let me know. If I plan to do something either in the house or out, sometimes that helps. But it's not fool-proof. I understand where you're coming from and I'd really like to be able to know how to quit, too. Wish I could offer something more... I understand.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Tea - fruit tea, herbal tea whatever - I'm at work until midnight most nights and tea really helps to quell any hunger pangs. I also make sure I have tons of small portioned snacks that I can eat throughout the evening, usually something like baby carrots, red peppers, or sugar snap peas - something healthy and light, but very filling- you could even try a light miso or low-sodium cup of soup.

I agree with this. I have made it a rule that I do not eat after I have my tea. It's made it a habit so that it feels odd if I eat after having my cup of tea.

As an aside, I would be careful about the gum. I love gum, but I find sometimes if I chew sweet gum for a few days straight I start craving more sweet things. It might just be me, but thought I'd mention it.
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with nighttime eating as well. I try to keep some sugarfree jello in the frig for when I want to eat something sweet and more than one portion! I also like to buy the small bags of pistachios( some have 80 calories, some have 120, some have 139)that I have to peel myself to eat. Whenever the rest of the family is snacking in front of the TV ( bad habit, I know) and I want to join in, it takes a while to eat a small pack! When I'm thinking about it, and I don't want to eat any more that night, I brush my teeth. If it's a tough night, I will use mouthwash as well. Who warns to eat after using mouthwash!?! The best thing I can do, is log the snacks/ treats before I actually eat them, the earlier in the day, the better. Then I have something I've budgeted in my calories and I can look forward to it. I still have days when I struggle, but it's a process. Good luck. One day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time!
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Having an emotional day and evening myself today. I am currently home recovering from surgery and my boss called and stressed me out today. I can not be there until cleared by my doctor which will not be for at least another week and 1/2. I am trying not to get to blue because I know that will set me off on poor food choices.

I have been doing so well on my weight loss I do not want anything to derail it.

I sometimes do the sugar free gum thing and sometimes the sugar free jello.

Since I am not able to exercise right now I am worried I will start putting back on weight again.