Names and Places

Options
DarrylsGinger
DarrylsGinger Posts: 63 Member
I know we can check each others' profiles but how about a quick place to see where we're all from and what we'd prefer to be called in group? Add any other tidbit you'd like as well!

I'm Sandy and I live in a tiny (500 people) town in north Louisiana.

High School teacher. Grad student. 18 year old son (love of my life) Hubby (married Feb 14, 2014) 51 years old until Sept 26 (life rolls on) Relocated from central Florida (land of Mickey Mouse). Goal is to get back to my weight from when I met my husband 5 years ago.

Replies

• djcangel
    djcangel Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    DJC Angel...you can call me Dorothy...
    ...you can call me Jean...
    ...you can call me DJ...
    ...you can call me Jeannie...
    &...you can call me Angel...
    Just Don't Call Me Late for Supper!!!

Disabled, Retired, 60yrs. 01/30
    Married to My Soul Mate 28 yrs.
    Was a Cook/Home Health worker for 20 yrs.
    Have lived in: California, Colorado, Nebraska and Texas
    Live currently in S. Texas
    1 daughter, 2 stepdaughters, 2 stepsons, 1 son
  • janet41283
    janet41283 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm Janet, or Jan!
    Married 31 years to my love and best friend. (met on a blind date)!
    2 kids (men) 29, 27 29 year old lives in Brooklyn and is a film editor/producer
    27 year old lives a few miles from us and is an eye doctor for the VA health services.
    Lived in the same town my entire life!
    College professor, career counselor and resume writer, tutor, substitute teacher. Former HR manager.
  • thin4me59
    thin4me59 Posts: 73
    Options
    I am Darlene or DJ.
    Live in upstate, NY (Fingerlakes Wine Country):drinker:
    Married to my best friend for 28 years. We have together 5 children - all grown, 7 grandchildren!
    Still working and hope to for quite a while, as I work for a non profit and look forward to going to work everyday!:bigsmile:
  • LydiaZembower
    LydiaZembower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lydia, 52, and I live in Germany close to the Netherland border. I love reading and watching TV. I am also a pretty good cook.
    Married 28 yrs to Ken who works for NATO. He loves to play tennis. We have 3 wonderful sons together and one dog.
    Zachary is attending Colorado School of Mines, has a BS in Physics Engineering, and is working on his Masters in Computer Science. He loves skiing and motorcycling.
    Cory, getting his BS in Film from Full Sail University in Florida, is a body builder and loves canoeing and other outdoor stuff.
    My youngest at 12 yrs, Max, is homeschooling with me starting 7th grade academics and 8th grade Math. He loves playing
    XBOX 360 games.
    Norwegian Buhund, Zoey, is 3 yrs and loves hiking, biking, tennis, soccer, and almost any sports a dog can play. She also loves hitting a balloon into the air.
    I used to be an RN but stopped after my children came along. I have spent most of my life homeschooling them. I have lived in Iceland, Alaska, Oklahoma, Chicago, England, and now Germany.
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hello Sandy, Dorothy, Jan Darlene and Lydia! I am Toni and live in a Bham, AL suburb, but I prefer to spend my time in the woods in the lake cabin. I have lived in Alabama all my life, except for 2 years when I lived in KY. I am a retired insurance executive, married for 33 years. We lost our oldest daughter to melanoma 3 years ago this week, so this is a difficult time of year. Our youngest daughter is in nursing school and lived down the street from us. I am lucky to still have my parents and have moved them down the hill from me. We kind of have a family compound. I am addicted to travel. Will hit 60 in November. I LOVE University of Alabama football!
    Lydia, you have an exciting life with all the places you have lived. I have never been to Iceland, although it is on my list.
    Darlene, I miss working, especially the people. I do seem to keep myself busy and wonder how I did it all. Visiting upstate NY several years ago...beautiful!
    Jan, are your sons married? My beautiful daughter is 28...LOL!
    Dorothy, you are doing so good with your elliptical!
    Sandy thanks for starting this thread. I see you are in grad school! Not sure I could go back to school at this point.
  • janet41283
    Options
    Hi Toni! So, so, so sorry for your loss. I have no words and won't pretend to know what you are going through. It is a wonderful thing that you have family so near, though. We are a Penn State family.....sooo......anyway, we won't banter over football! My youngest son (27) is single, and the older one (29) is living with his girlfriend. My single one is in the health care field, as well as your daughter! He's an eye doc. Hmmm. Anyway, good to get to know you and everyone else here!!
  • mcamping
    mcamping Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Marie, I live in Las Vegas, NV. I am 51 years old and have one son (20 years old) and my husband is 52. We have been married for 10 years but have been together for 21 years.
    I work full time but in my spare time I work in my garden.
    I am just starting this today and you seemed like a fun group to join.
  • djcangel
    Options
    Hi Marie, Welcome :flowerforyou: My hubby has a Son and a Daughter, and grown grandkids that all live in Vegas. Wow, I am impressed that you maintain a garden in the desert. What do you grow? I live in S. TX so I know about the heat, but I hear in Vegas it gets cold at night and there isn't a lot of humidity. What's that like? Look forward to sharing your path to a better you, and hope to get to know you better. dj
  • mcamping
    Options
    Thank you. I have tomatoes, green peppers, strawberries, grapes and several herbs growing in my garden. I also have several fruit trees. I have it all set up by a drip system, so that they get enough water but not too much. Our summer nights only get down to about 80 degrees, so it stays relatively warm here.
    Do your kids and grandkids like Vegas? I grew up here so it is all that I am used to.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm Eleanor. I live about 30 minutes north of Toronto's Pearson Airport, in a suburb on the edge of a very rural area. I'm a retired teacher (four years now) and I cannot figure out how I ever had time to go to work every day! I do spend extra time in the mornings sipping my coffee, reading the paper and catching up on email, etc., but otherwise I spend my days looking after the house and garden,acting as chief shopper, cook and bottle washer, golfing in the summer, volunteering and participating in musical activities. I have one daughter and four step daughters, but they are all pretty much grown and none live with us.

I have been on MFP for quite some time and feel a little like I'm stuck right now. It's my fault because I do well during the week and fall off the wagon on the weekends; however, I have not gained, just need to get rid of more. I will....eventually. Meantime, I keep logging in.
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Welcome Marie! We are a fun bunch. I too love to garden. I still have some tomatoes and peppers growing, but everything else burned up in the heat. I get my veggies from the local farmer's markets. I do love to dig in the dirt and my main garden is the memory garden at the lake.

I kind of fall off the wagon a bit on the weekends too. I am going to try and put a halt to that.
  • djcangel
    Options
    Hey Ladies, I hope I can move tomorrow, I did some work outside, and then cleaned my stove today. It had to be done, I cook everyday and try as I may, it seems to defy staying clean, I put aluminum foil underneath the stove top and I have aluminum burner area covers. Still you would not believe how dirty it can get and how quick it can get that way. It just tears my back up when I have to scrub things, and yet there is no one else to do it but me. Hopefully it will not put me off of my exercising tomorrow, as I have been trying so hard not to miss any days. The work I did outside was putting to rest my garden, poor thing just couldn't take the TX heat any more. If I go to bed too early I will be up at 3 a.m. so I cleaned up and rubbed down with deep heat, took some over the counter pain relief and am saying a prayer that I will be o.k. to walk come morning, wish me luck. Have a good evening...I will check in tomorrow! dj:frown:
  • djcangel
    Options
    Good Morning All, I survived, even did my walk this morn , but it was rough. Here's to doing it anyway! :drinker:

MARIE: I a majorly impressed with your garden, your oasis in the desert if you will. Yes, the kids and grandkids love it in Vegas. My hubby tries to visit at least once a year, but I usually head toward the coast, which is where I hope to be this September. Still can't wrap my head around a garden in the desert, I thought maybe you had a green house, but it just rocks that you have that kind of dedication. Have a great day. dj :love:

TONI: The memory garden at the lake sounds heavenly, I wish you would tell us more about it. I'm looking for a piece of rope- to tie you on to the wagon this weekend- so you won't fall off, lol. Best of luck, Always! dj :smile:

ELEANOR: Keep up the logging in, it will help you to get over your 'stuck' feeling. It is the same as when we hit a weight plateau, only this is a mental plateau. You can and will get through it. Guess I need to look for a longer rope, so I can tie you to the wagon too...Hang in there. dj :tongue:

SANDY: I love all of your posts...keep em coming! dj :wink:

JAN: Thank you for your positivity, I look forward to hearing from you, too. dj :happy:

EVERYONE ELSE: I try to check in often enough that I can respond to each of you individually, if I miss a post, please forgive me. I appreciate ALL of your input, and sharing, and it is what makes our group so different and special!!! WEEKEND right around the corner...let's end this week on a high note...eeeeeeeeee!!! :laugh: dj
  • mcamping
    Options
    dj: I don't blame you I love the ocean too. We will be in San Diego in the fall. We are building the greenhouse, but right now it is too hot for us to work on it. I am hoping this fall to get it up and running so that when the freeze (short and sweet) comes, I will have my vegies and herbs going strong in the greenhouse. My husband thinks I am on some sort of weird mission, but it is my happy place. I own my business so there is a lot of stress with it and my garden is my break from the stress.

tskvaughn: Thank you for the welcome. I have to grow my garden on the side of the house that gets shade in the afternoon or I would lose everything also. I love to get my hands in the dirt also (I guess I never grew up!)
  • janet41283
    Options
    mcamp, I am envious! I would love a greenhouse. I like the idea of gardens and growing things, but I am so bad at it. I can totally understand how it is relaxing for you.
    How is everyone doing today? I went for my blood work for my annual physical. Hope all the numbers are good. I've been doing great lately. I have a pretty quiet day today, just a little tutoring later on. The kids are troopers. Who wants to do that stuff in the summer? I try to make it fun.
    A week from Saturday I leave for vacation and now I'm getting excited. My hubby really needs a break. I look forward to the getaway to recharge. Starting September 3 I go back to my crazy schedule.
    Good health to you all!
  • LydiaZembower
    LydiaZembower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Today I started the 3-Day Refresh from Beachbody. I wasn't hungry at all today and had enough energy to do Turbo Jam.
    I will keep you informed how it goes these next couple of days. People are supposed to lose 3 pounds and some around the waist.
    If anyone wants anything from Beachbody, I am a coach there and can help you get anything you want just let me know.
    Well, my internet provider is going to send someone Saturday morning. I really hope they can fix our problems and get us better service.
    Hope all of you are doing well. Keep pushing it.