Water & Tea - Metabolism Boosters

Options
You may already be aware but at a minimum we should be consuming 8 glasses a day of pure, simple water. It is my understanding that drinking 2-4 glasses immediately upon waking up in the morning is a huge metabolism booster. I am trying to do this but it's not easy!

I have also heard drinking warm water and lemon before bed can speed metabolism.

I also did some research on fat busting teas. Oolong (Wu Long), White tea and Green tea are supposed to be fabulous for an extra fat burning boost.

This is not scientific, and any herbal tea consumption should be done carefully in the rare case of medicine interaction or random intolerance by your body. It is my understanding the teas I mentioned don't bother 99% of people though.

They say White Tea has EGCG and 2 cups a day helps weight loss.
Oolong tea studies show an extra 100-150 calorie burn a day when you drink 3-4 cups a day
Green Tea is shown to boost metabolism and protect you from colds and flu when consumed 2 times a day.

Obviously you can't soak your tea in sugar or you negate the positive effects. Stevia or Honey are recommended to sweeten the tea. Personally I trust honey more than anything manufactured like Stevia, but I would totally avoid Aspertame, Splenda, Equal, Sweet n Low etc unless that is all you can stand. Artifical anything usually spells trouble.

Replies

• Mandrey072009
    Mandrey072009 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise! I love tea! I have heard about the health benefits of green tea, but always forget to drink it.

Actually - I feel that I don't drink enough fluids in a day. I'm not sure why but I probably mistake being thirsty for being hungry. When I actually keep track of how much I drink a day I find myself eating less and staying full longer (with a well balanced meal plan of course). Someone one told me to drink a glass of water before every meal as it helps you consume less.

**Be careful of what tea you buy already made. Most have sugars and stuff added to it. Just to make sure your not consuming more stuff than you should/need I would stay with making your own.
  • SsetAdnama
    SsetAdnama Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've heard that tea in general is good for weight loss. I agree that honey is the way to go in terms of sweeteners - you don't need much and it's a safer bet than all the artificial garbage. I usually don't need anything in my tea, but I tend to buy fancy flavored teas. One of my favorites is White Peach (http://www.adagio.com/white/white_peach.html) - if you go to that website you can get $5 off if you give your email address.

I have a terrible time with water. I'm lucky if I get 6 cups a day. I find a little squirt of lemon juice or two or three Capella drops (http://www6.netrition.com/capella_flavor_drops.html) in my water makes it go down easier. Unless it's really hot out, I like my water closer to room temperature than ice-cold.
  • AlwaysSunshine
    AlwaysSunshine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this information! I have had good luck with TAZO brand teas and Trader Joe's brand teas. My husband likes to drink TAZO organic chai, and I usually drink TAZO Zen (green tea, lemongrass & spearmint). I try to drink at least one cup in the morning, but I'm thinking about adding another cup in the afternoons to ward off any cravings. Sweetening my tea with honey is also my favorite way. One of the farmers at the farmers market I go to said that the darker, local honey is better for allergies (in case any of you struggle with allergies)!
  • jafray4
    jafray4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am horrible at drinking water. I really don't like the taste of it, but I love tea. I drink more of the black plain teas. Normally as ice tea, but I don't use sweaters. If I am drinking water I try to use something to flavor it, like lemon, lime, cucumber, ete. I need to get better so maybe if I try right way in the morning that will help?
  • sydsquidlee
    sydsquidlee Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I take my water bottle.. its like 32 oz. at fill it at night with some cut up lemons and strawberries. Its is so good. It does take some getting used to, but its a good habit to get into.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,421 Member
    Options
    I take my water bottle.. its like 32 oz. at fill it at night with some cut up lemons and strawberries. Its is so good. It does take some getting used to, but its a good habit to get into.

Love this idea - do you keep refilling it during the day and leave the fruit in it? I drink so much water it's crazy but always looking for different ways to enjoy it!
  • Maryann408
    Options
    It's nice to hear that my 2 cups of Tazo Zen in the afternoon may be helping me lose weight :happy:

I just love the flavor of it. I also have a cup of Chai Latte before bed to curb my sweets craving.
  • casarow
    casarow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Decaffinated Green Tea is a must . I'm bad at adding it to my food dairy on MFP .. although I do consume it daily !! I also add BRAGGS vinegar to my water .. tons of benefits !!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,421 Member
    Options
    Decaffinated Green Tea is a must . I'm bad at adding it to my food dairy on MFP .. although I do consume it daily !! I also add BRAGGS vinegar to my water .. tons of benefits !!

I used to drink BRAGGS every morning but I haven't done it in ages. Maybe it's time to start up again. So healthy for you! I think I still have some in the cupboard!!
  • sydsquidlee
    sydsquidlee Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Love this idea - do you keep refilling it during the day and leave the fruit in it? I drink so much water it's crazy but always looking for different ways to enjoy it!

I do refill it twice depending on the size of the water bottle I use. If I use just lemons I can have it all day. Other fruit seems to lose its flavor. I have done lemons and limes, strawberries and blueberries. Its a good way to enjoy water.