weight loss disappointment

Options
2»

Replies

• Cheliaj
    Cheliaj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. You must remember the surgery is not a miracle cure, you have to be patient and put the work in. Your body has to adjust. You wouldn't paint "Delta Airlines" on your car and expect it to be an airplane. So be fair and kind to your body. You will be out of the 300's soon, and the 200's also. Loosing weight is an emotional adjustment. When you have to start giving your clothes away it gets kind of difficult. You change identities and you will lose friends, get more evil looks and harsh comments. So prepare yourself now for the realities that will be coming. You have lost alot of weight. My ticker doesn't reflect my weight loss. I've lost alot and feel good about where I am. Continue to work out drink your fluids and record your intake.Love and trust yourself in this process.
  • claresta23
    claresta23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.
  • claresta23
    Options
    Got on the scale no change but I am fitting into my clothes better. That is a positive sign.
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Keep working at it. I have not been able to lose any weight for my pre-surgery. I am eating around 1000 calories but not losing anything. I get discouraged easy. You did good in losing prior to surgery so you will do great. Just give it a little time.
  • vsg_joanna
    vsg_joanna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was up like 14lbs for a week post surgery- all water weight from the IV. I'm almost 4 months post-op and have lost about 50lbs now. Started at 238.8 :)

Don't worry about it!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Got on the scale no change but I am fitting into my clothes better. That is a positive sign.

Progress! My doctor said there will be times the scale isn't moving, but if the inches are going down and the clothes fitting better or getting too big, you are going in the right direction!! Down! Good job!! :happy:
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Let your body do it's thing. As long as you are doing what you should your body will adjust. Also measure yourself every month. Around your bust, hips, waist, arms, legs and neck. You will be shocked as the inches fall off even if the scale doesn't show it. You are just in the beginning, it will come off I promise you. The first few weeks you are adjusting, and the first few days you actually gain from the gas and fluids that were pumped into during surgery. I am have lost 77% of my excess weight in 6 months. I have only worked out a few times, I watch what I eat and track and measure. I eat when I am hungry, try to make smart choices, I don't limit ANY food option. If I want a cookie I will eat one, usually not even a whole one, just a bite. I am active in my daily life and had a job where I was on my feet all day. I do my WiFit a couple times a week but not real gym stuff in a while. You have already lost over 25 pounds in two weeks, that is a success!
  • claresta23
    Options
    Thanks :) I did start my cycle on Tuesday which may be part of the stall..... This would be my first period after the VSG surgery.

Let your body do it's thing. As long as you are doing what you should your body will adjust. Also measure yourself every month. Around your bust, hips, waist, arms, legs and neck. You will be shocked as the inches fall off even if the scale doesn't show it. You are just in the beginning, it will come off I promise you. The first few weeks you are adjusting, and the first few days you actually gain from the gas and fluids that were pumped into during surgery. I am have lost 77% of my excess weight in 6 months. I have only worked out a few times, I watch what I eat and track and measure. I eat when I am hungry, try to make smart choices, I don't limit ANY food option. If I want a cookie I will eat one, usually not even a whole one, just a bite. I am active in my daily life and had a job where I was on my feet all day. I do my WiFit a couple times a week but not real gym stuff in a while. You have already lost over 25 pounds in two weeks, that is a success!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I just checked my report and I lost 47 lbs over the last 6 months with a total of 99 lbs in 8 1/2 months. For me I have lost really fast but from other peoples comments they regard that as unbearably slow. Averaging 3.09 lbs a wk is a very nice rate of loss. I have permanently changed my eating cooking and shopping habits. I don't have all these emotions tied up in the scale. I just work the plan. Weigh, measure, log. No grazing between meals. I am very happy to be the slow boring tortoise who is still a BMI of 25 or less in 10 years.
  • claresta23
    Options
    Well there was movement the scale did go down. Still not as fast as I would like but gives me hope that I well not fail at this too. There is always a great of being on the 5% that the surgery didn't work for. Waiting to cleared for water aerobics.
  • noelboquet
    noelboquet Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    we call this the 3 week stall...there is a 3 week a 6 week a 3 month and a 6 month newly post op....keep drinking your water and focus on things that make you happy and not on food. You got this...no worries...
  • wendyp1000
    Options
    I hope that is where I am. Since surgery day weight I have only lost about 13 pounds (I am 3.5 weeks post-op).

As with many women, I got my TOM day of surgery and just again a few days ago. My body is probably all wacko from the surgery. I am hoping things work themselves out soon.

About how many calories should I be eating about now. I am on soft foods (tuna, salmon, cottage cheese, soft cheeses etc). I set up myFitnessPal for 900 calories. Is that too little? Some days I lean more towards 1000 calories. Is that about right? Advice for people one month out...

Thanks, WP
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Me too! I had my surgery on 6/9, and I've lost weight since then, but it has not been staggering. All I can think is that my calories are low enough that eventually I am going to have to lose weight :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I hope that is where I am. Since surgery day weight I have only lost about 13 pounds (I am 3.5 weeks post-op).

As with many women, I got my TOM day of surgery and just again a few days ago. My body is probably all wacko from the surgery. I am hoping things work themselves out soon.

About how many calories should I be eating about now. I am on soft foods (tuna, salmon, cottage cheese, soft cheeses etc). I set up myFitnessPal for 900 calories. Is that too little? Some days I lean more towards 1000 calories. Is that about right? Advice for people one month out...

Thanks, WP

My surgeon had us at 650-700 for month 1, 750-800 month 2, then 850-950 month 3. And try never to go over 1000 until you reach maintenance. I wasn't on MFP in the beginning and I was at 850 -950 in the first 3 wks and was severely stalled. I was grazing all day. My nut hooked me up with MFP and got me back on schedule. I lose wt best at 850-950. Because I am a 5'5" 45 yr old sedentary female my base calorie burn is 1450 per day. That means if I eat 1450 I lose nothing. To lose a pound you have to burn 3800 calories. If I eat 1050 calories a day it takes 9.5 days to lose 1 lb. I found I lost best by sticking to 850-950 calories per day. This allowed me to at least lose 1 lb every 7.5 days. More if I was active. Every time I got past 950 my wt loss would really slow down. I am only 4 lbs from normal BMI so I have increased my calories to 1200. At the end of the day the sleeve is not magic. If you are eating close to your maintenance calories it will take you a long time to lose wt. I am very honest about my activity level. I exercise 3 hour or less per week. That is a sedentary lifestyle.