Let's get this group active again!

Options
babyberger
babyberger Posts: 10 Member
I just started keto this week and am full of energy this morning :) I am realizing having a support group who understands what each of us is going through is key to being successful. I check reddit often, but think this would be a great place we can continue to support each other and share our ups and downs!

Hope to see more of you here soon!

Replies

• lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think this would be great as I need to get back on the wagon
  • babyberger
    Options
    We are back on the wagon together!
  • RadRac01
    RadRac01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got back on the wagon a few months ago but I keep stepping off the wagon here and there. More encouragement is always welcome.
  • polkadotsandspiders
    Options
    I just started on Tuesday, three days in! This is my first time with keto and so far so good. Although, today was the first time I had any issues. Stomach discomfort and headache. I'm sipping homemade chicken broth and drinking lots of water so I hope that helps.
  • babyberger
    Options
    Sorry I went MIA for a few days, life got busy ;)

Hope everyone is feeling better and adjusting to the keto lifestyle! I feel like each day gets easier to come up with meals, but Im still fighting cravings and hunger once in a while. I am looking forward to being keto adapted.
  • taromit
    taromit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started today!!! /u/koryisma on reddit. I need some buddies to make this fun, and to keep me accountable! :)
  • h2oladee
    h2oladee Posts: 15
    Options
    28 day newbie! So far so good.... miss my soda tho!! Need that craving to go away! :grumble:
  • Avansilee
    Avansilee Posts: 11
    Options
    Back on the wagon here myself as of last Tuesday! I've already had a few slip ups but jumped back super quick. Just how it goes! Anyone here is free to add me!
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just joined the group. I started keto about a week and a half ago. I have already lost 4lbs! I'm sure it's mostly water weight, I'm still excited! It has taken me a little getting used to, I'm not used to eating so much fat. Still need to tweak it, though I'm tracking here mostly to watch my percentages of fat:protein:carbs. Thanks for this group!
  • courtneymaybe
    Options
    Yo, I've done keto a whole ton. Just RE-started yesterday; not an expert by any means, but I'm happy to share what I've learned in the past few years. Add me if you like.
  • jetset_
    jetset_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hooray, let's go! I just joined, nice to meet you guys!
  • ajax041813
    Options
    How's everybody doing out there? Anybody experiencing challenges the group could help with? Anyone need to vent anything?
    Any confessions? Recipes? Anything? lol.....ok I think you get it!

Here's my confession for the day, I had a frappicino from Starbucks today. Yea, I know. NOW I know how to order low carb, since I just looked it up for future reference. You can order hot or iced coffee with whatever sugar free syrups they may have. It differs store to store apparently so you'll have to ask for their selection if it's not listed. You can also add heavy cream or whipping cream. I can not handle dairy so I will just do it without. This is only a treat as I have no idea what's in the sugar free syrups but once in awhile at work our boss treats us so it's good to know there is an option for me.

Here is the amazing low carbish casserole I made tonight:

1lb ground pork, browned
    8oz raw white mushrooms
    8oz steamed broccoli
    14.5oz canned tomatoes
    4 cloves of garlic
    1 small yellow onion
    2-3 tbsp. caraway seeds
    2-3 tbsp. dried basil
    2-3 tbsp. dried oregano
    1oz of boar's head pepperoni

I browned the pork on the stove while I was prepping everything else. I preheated the oven to 325 degree F. I peeled and chopped the onion. I peeled the garlic cloves and put it in the food processor with the mushrooms and pulsed a few times. I poured the onions & mushroom/garlic mix into a large bowl. I would check on the pork and stir every few seconds so it didn't burn/stick to the pan and to brown everywhere. I steamed the broccoli for 6 minutes in the microwave. The pork was done before the broccoli so I poured that into the large bowl with other ingredients. When broccoli was done, I pulsed it in the food processor as well before adding it to everything else. I dumped in the tomatoes, stirred well, added the spices, stirred well again, and got out 2 square glass dishes. I coated them both well with coconut oil and evenly distributed the casserole to each pan. I topped each dish with 16 pieces of pepperoni each. I baked them in the oven for 30 min and they came out great. My fiancée couldn't stop eating it! That's why I said low carbish. If you portion it out, it can be several meals. If you don't, it can get a little higher in carbs.

What did you all have for dinner? Do you have any low carb casserole recipes? Hope you are all doing great!
  • RockNRollPorcelain
    Options
    Just started up again! I've only been at it about 2 weeks now and have yet to get a scale to weigh myself. However, my family says they can tell I've lost some of the baby weight! I'm measuring in inches until I get myself a scale! I already feel so much better, and I think my baby boy is glad too. =]
  • ajax041813
    Options
    Today is day 21 and I've lost 5lbs and 2.5" on my lower abdomen!!! We can all do this!!! Just keep it up and you will see progress!!!!
  • triciawebb78
    triciawebb78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just finishing up my second week and loving it. Down about 7lb so far. Would love friends to cheer on and help motivate each other!
  • fiannanova
    fiannanova Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've been doing keto about a year and a half now. I've had my share of hiccups, but I'm halfway to my goal! Feel free to add me.

Discussion time: How do you guys feel about artificial sweeteners? I'm not a huge fan, but every once in awhile it's not bad for my coffee or something like that. I've seen a lot of keto recipes that call for artificial sweeteners, but I just can't get excited about them.
  • tabathavm
    tabathavm Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Been on Keto for about a 1.5 years. I "cheated" for about 6 months and gained 30lbs and am now back on board since June 1 2014.
    KCKO!
  • agray520
    agray520 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am a newcomer to keto. One of the doctors at work is getting everyone inspired to do the ketogenic diet. I'm also inspired by my husband's mom and brother - they are both on the diet and have lost a substantial amount of weight. And his brother is now off his diabetes medication! :)

I would appreciate some advice. Since I'm new to this, I'm still trying to discover how many carbs are in what. During the first two weeks on keto, I read that you shouldn't eat anything but protein and fat and 2 cups or so of leafy green vegetables. After the two weeks, you can add in other vegetables. I also read that I should be limiting caffeine, which I am going to try doing - I didn't realize that until just this weekend. I will have my morning coffee with heavy whipping cream and leave it at that.

I also read that you should avoid artificial sweeteners because they can kick you out of ketosis. Is that correct? I just purchased some xylitol to use in a recipe for keto fudge, which I did make and it was awesome (butter, cream cheese, PB, cocoa powder, and xylitol). Should I avoid the xylitol until the two weeks are over? Does anyone have any good advice about this? I can always give the keto fudge I made to family if I need to.

I really want to be successful with this. I need to lose about 45 lb. I am going to start an exercise regimen, too, in an attempt to speed things up and to get more fit.

If you all have any good pointers, please let me know!
  • Avansilee
    Options
    @agray -

Some people are kicked out of ketosis by artificial sweeteners, some people aren't. You can buy test strips at your local pharmacy or blood testing kits if you want to be absolutely sure. But personally I avoid artificial sweeteners during induction simply because it helps nip the sugar cravings in the bud quicker.

That aside, personally I've not had any issue with artificial sweeteners halting my weight loss - though too much in one week will leave me feeling dehydrated or with minor headaches. Everyone is different. Diet soda is my weakness and I found I had to limit myself to one can a week. Some weeks I go without completely because of the double whammy of caffeine and artificial sweetener.

Never fear however, once you are inducted, a lot of people say (and I have experienced) that there is a drop in enjoyment of overly sweet things. So it won't be as hard to stay away!

...also, I see you've done your homework, but getting those leafy veggies in the beginning will save you a lot of trouble. Trust me. EAT YO' VEGGIES!

Feel free to add me here if you want! I'm on the poor man's keto so my food diary isn't very exciting, but it's there. Haha.
  • agray520
    agray520 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Avansilee. Why exactly do we need to eat the leafy veggies in the beginning? Does it cause problems with ketosis if we don't? I haven't been eating it as much as I should. :-/ Mainly because I'm tired of eating the same thing all the time! I guess I should make myself do it, though.

As for me, the artificial sweeteners have been keeping me sane. The first couple days (even yesterday) I wanted to give up because I wanted chocolate so much. I've been having sugar-free Jell-o and whipped cream in the evenings, and that seems to be satiating me for the time being. I still really miss sweets, though. :( It's been more difficult than I thought it would.