preaching to the choir

Options
Hey, gals and guys!

I would love to start a conversation about ways that we can help "typical" dieters see keto for what it is. There is so much fear of dietary fat and a pervasive "common sense" surrounding dieting that getting people to even consider they have been lied to for decades is difficult at best. It seems keto is lumped into the collective conscious mind as an extreme, hedonistic and extremely unhealthy way of eating. I constantly find myself wanting to yell at people that are still pushing lean diets as the only sensible approach to losing weight and becoming healthier. That includes most of the medical establishment along with the bloggers, editors and other "nutritionists" here at MFP whom I consider a detriment to the people coming here to learn about nutrition.

A major upheaval in my life caused me to abandon control over my own nutrition about 2 years ago. I had been in ketosis for about 3 years at that time and had gone from nearly 250 lbs to just under 170 lbs with well under 20% body fat (6' male). I just started my LCHF lifestyle back up less than a week ago, so my anger and frustration toward these 'educated idiots' should subside (somewhat) once my body converts back to a lipo-metabolism and stabilizes my hormones once again. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the best teaching method is silence. Don't preach keto. Live keto. If they are willing, they will see your success and seek to follow on their own. If they are unwilling, no amount of words will make them so.
  • QBass
    QBass Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you. I do understand this but believe I needed to hear it at this time anyways. At only a week into my cleaned up diet, I'm currently in the worst phase of kicking the carb addiction and just feel a ton of anxious energy that gives me a desire to lash out at what I believe is detrimental ignorance and misinformation. I'm very glad I decided to post here (hence the post title) rather than my original inclination to put a rant in the site suggestions forum. lol!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I deal with it all the time. At first, I kept telling people about all I had learned. I soon realized, they didn't want to hear anything and it would only cause tension. Since I stopped, I've had several people come to me and ask what I have been doing. A few didn't like it and we dropped the issue. A couple have joined in the fun (and keto is a fun way to lose weight, at least for me), and have been following along. To this day, I get a couple crazy comments about what I eat and how I eat, from time to time. I just smile and let it go.
  • AGTMADCAT
    AGTMADCAT Posts: 2
    Options
    QBass, if you're ever frustrated and mad at everyone who doesn't know better, try to look at it as an issue of natural selection - those of us who know better will have healthier children, who will survive better, and will out-compete the willfully ignorant. Play out the whole elaborate scenario in your head until you're so lost in the weeds of minutia that you've forgotten about being angry!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What I do is stick to the medically therapeutic aspects. It helps scratch the itch of sharing the benefits, while having the backing of medical studies for a given purpose. It makes it infinitely easier to avoid all the crap when the focus is shifted away from weight and toward health things like reducing migraine episodes or helping women with PCOS to lose weight without having to starve themselves.

I'll also talk about certain aspects of what makes LCHF/keto so great, without mentioning LCHF/keto. For example, I might mention the importance of dietary fat, and the role of fat in nutrient absorption, or explain that things like butter aren't just the fat equivalent of table sugar, but rather how it's packed with vitamins and nutrients (including the rather rare Vitamin K2). This keeps the "balanced diet" police at bay while still being able to share things I've learned, and introduces people to the benefits of fat, without seeming like I'm trying to make them jump head-first into a pool of bacon grease.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    O dear...you can't TELL people you do this :laugh:

I keep things simple because people ask a great deal of questions & I don't have the time or the patience to get through to them.
    I just say I don't eat starch or sugar.

Simple as that. :blushing:

When they do the math & realize there's a great deal of things I don't eat, they ask me what I DO eat. It helps that I've lost a substantial amount of weight & look the picture of health now. So when I say everything YOU eat, just without the starch & sugar, they usually quit asking.

I generally leave them to their low-fat dogma :drinker:
    IRL, It's NOT generally something I like to talk about.
  • carltonstedman
    carltonstedman Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Agree with @frob23.

Don't teach unless asked. Just show people.

It's the same thing with powerlifting. Many folks, if you tell them you squat, will ask "isn't that bad for your knees?" as they sit in their chair, kyphotically curled over their computer, for 8+ hours per day.

It's probably not worth the effort to "convert" people -- instead, find people _interested_ in learning.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have been asked how I've lost nearly 50 pounds. I just say "Low carb, high fat". There are people who want to know more, there are people who look at me like I will keel over from a heart attack at any moment. Those that are interested, I send them links, tell them about the books and research I've read. One of my doctors uses me as an example (not my name, of course) for this WOE and how it can change your life and attitude. He is a huge believer and practices it himself. He told me that people (mainly women) tell him how their weight is just such a problem, prevents them from doing things, being happy, health issues, etc. He tells them about me but then most tell him "oh, i could never give up my soda" or "i love bread too much". He just shakes his head and says "then you really don't want to change, do you?"
  • courtneymaybe
    Options
    Unfortunately, many people believe things because they simply WANT to believe them; not because they've amassed any amount of evidence, etc. If people are interested, I'll generally give them my quick anecdotal experience and point them in the direction of resources (including misc. peer-reviewed studies, etc. I mean hey--science!), and make sure it's clear that I'm happy help/discuss further if they'd like!

Now, of course this is easier with misc acquaintances or coworkers. I imagine if you have a loved one struggling with weight and health issues that you'd REALLY like to see join you in reaping the benefits of a LCHF lifestyle, it's much harder to persuade them. I couldn't give much advice on that front; maybe just ask that they--as a favor to you--at least skim over some of the research, and see what they think? Pushing lifestyle changes hardly ever works. And obviously keto isn't perfect for everyone. But it does certainly seem like it reaps enough benefits that it's worth it for everyone to at least TRY, huh?

My partner started keto with me a few months back. Knowing he desired to lose some weight, I was probably a little pushy about it for awhile (I want everyone, especially those I love, to feel good and be healthy!), but I don't think it was until he saw my results, and viewed misc. resources for himself that he actually wanted to do it.

People can only really change their own minds, and downright PUSHING them only turns whatever you're pushing on them into a negative experience. The best you can do is point to some good resources, and remain open to conversation whenever they want. :)
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    frob23 wrote: »
    Sometimes the best teaching method is silence. Don't preach keto. Live keto. If they are willing, they will see your success and seek to follow on their own. If they are unwilling, no amount of words will make them so.

Absolutely this. I am not new to keto (I have been keto for nearly 2 years on and off - which is why I've rejoined MFP - for more discipline and accountability,) so anyhow, when my co-workers would ask me about how I eat, or why I won't have a cookie (I work in a health care facility so we come by many treats from family members and patients alike) I just simply say I am not hungry, or that I am watching my figure.

I used to explain how keto works, how I weigh my food with a digi scale to make sure my macros are right (high fat, moderate protein, and low carbs only from green veggies,) they always acted like I was an obsessed nut ball.

Little do they know the feeling is mutual when they go on about their crash diets, and juice cleanses haha.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    AGTMADCAT wrote: »
    QBass, if you're ever frustrated and mad at everyone who doesn't know better, try to look at it as an issue of natural selection - those of us who know better will have healthier children, who will survive better, and will out-compete the willfully ignorant. Play out the whole elaborate scenario in your head until you're so lost in the weeds of minutia that you've forgotten about being angry!

Ahhh yes, natural selection. But the dummies keep finding each other and breeding!

• dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I just say that I avoid sugar and starchy foods, and eat "real" food- including tons of veggies. It is hilarious- my nurse manager at work (the leader) thinks low carb is just eating meat- duh!

I tell them that I never feel hungry (unless my "sugar free" zinc lozenges I took to keep a cold away, sabotages my ketosis)- I was sooo pissed that I felt hungry after sucking on a lozenge- it probably spiked my insulin). I never feel deprived. I eat healthy fats.

I am in third place in our work "biggest loser" contest. Out of 17 people- not too bad. I bet I will stay on the diet longer than my co-workers- who are depriving themselves of good tasting, satisfying food. It is for 12 weeks, but I will be going beyond that- I am on a mission!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    dawlfin318 wrote: »
    AGTMADCAT wrote: »

Ahhh yes, natural selection. But the dummies keep finding each other and breeding!

You made me snort my coffee! LOL!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

I used to explain how keto works, how I weigh my food with a digi scale to make sure my macros are right (high fat, moderate protein, and low carbs only from green veggies,) they always acted like I was an obsessed nut ball.

Little do they know the feeling is mutual when they go on about their crash diets, and juice cleanses haha.

This is the best!! It's crazy to me how defensive people get about LCHF without ever trying it!! I remember a few years ago when my nephews went on Atkins and both lost a ton of weight and got very fit. I never thought I could do it, but I also never criticized them for it. To each their own right?!

For me, I tell people at work that I eat low carb, so when they offer me a treat and I decline, they always say they could never, and I just say not if you don't try.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »

This is the best!! It's crazy to me how defensive people get about LCHF without ever trying it!! I remember a few years ago when my nephews went on Atkins and both lost a ton of weight and got very fit. I never thought I could do it, but I also never criticized them for it. To each their own right?!

For me, I tell people at work that I eat low carb, so when they offer me a treat and I decline, they always say they could never, and I just say not if you don't try.

What people don't understand is that after a short time, you don't even crave those things any more. I was a rampant chocoholic. It was sad. Last night, Hubs ate a Lindor Truffle in my face. He literally put it under my nose. I smelled it and thought briefly "man would that taste great." And then forgot about it. Before, that would have led to me eating about 10 of them.

It drives me bats how people get so mad at you for eating LC. It's not like what I choose to eat, or not eat, judges them personally or is trying to take away their blessed sugar. It's all about me, not them. I find it terribly narcissistic (and megalomaniacal) for them to insist that what I food I put in my face is their concern whatsoever or has anything to do with them.

Them: Don't do LC, that's dumb and unhealthy. Do what I do.
    Me: Um, I'm 76lbs down for the first time in 17 years after failing at what you insist I should try. And I'm healthier than I've EVER been. So... um...No thanks.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I get so excited about ketosis that I want to talk to people about it. I try to only talk to those that are genuinely interested in learning about different types of dieting. I don't think that those that think low fat is the way to lose weight are idiots. It's what most of us have been taught our whole lives. Let's face it, if you did a low fat, low carb, low calorie diet, you will lose weight. You'll likely be miserable but you would lose weight. I only share what I am doing with certain people. If I go to someone's house I make sure to bring a few appetizers or something that makes it look like I just brought a dish to pass. Then I stick to those items. If a question comes up and people start pressuring me to eat a cookie or some other carb loaded food, I simply tell them that I have found sugar makes me feel sick so I can't eat it. This is especially easy at this time of year because most people binged during the holidays and also felt like crap. Also, it's not a lie. Sugar makes me feel like *kitten*. It's not my job to help others lose weight, that includes loved ones.