What are your Attacks like?

Options
patsypooter
patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
Just curious, what are everyones IBS attacks like?

For me, my every day pain was a super uncomfortable bloating. It definitely bordered on pain. I would have trouble finding a position to fall asleep in because of the discomfort. Nausea was also quite normal but has mostly gone away since I cut out gluten.

Actual attacks feel like the worst pain I've ever experienced. I've read before that women have said that IBS attacks hurt more than childbirth.., I'd say that's accurate. Pain pills don't seem to touch the pain. Pain so bad that you want to go to the hospital even though you've been before and they blew you off and you ended up spending 9 hours waiting to be told "you're constipated!"

Replies

• sukifr
    sukifr Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sometimes like yourself I am in such pain that I cannot sleep, I can't get comfortable, I take antacid tablets and epsom salts to ease it, and after maybe 3 -4 hours it finally calms down. I feel then that I 'pass out' with the pain rather than drift off into sleep.
    These type of pains though were always in the night time, maybe because during the day I would always be active and therefore, kept things moving - I don't know? Or maybe it is the amount of time passed since eating a certain food?

Also, sometimes I get severe stomach pains aswell, followed by constipation that can last for days - the most being 2 weeks!!! Then when it's time to go, it is so painful I feel like I'm giving birth, and end up with piles - not nice!!

Mine more often is constipation, but I also know that that is a down side of taking co-codamol (codeine/paracetomol) painkillers for my back. So it is a viscous circle I am in, and until I can lose atleast another 90lbs, it's not going to change.
  • patsypooter
    Options
    How are your symptoms now Sukifir? Are you feeling some relief with your new diet? I see that you've started losing weight again! So excited for you. I hope you're also starting to feel better. So amazing to finally be out of that plateau, right?

I'm finally "mostly" recovered from my attack last Monday. I am still getting random pains but each day they get a bit better.

I went to a bridal shower yesterday and there was so much food and candy and baked goods. I wanted to be included and eat with everyone so I made a small plate of pork and rice and watched everyone eat their delicious food. I brought my fiance a huge tray of sweets and candy from the shower and I'm hoping he eats them soon because I can't stop thinking about them. He's been off sugar with me, at least for the most part. He says he doesn't even want the treats so we might end up feeding them to our chickens! We used to be addicted to sugar so it's strange to have treats in the house and they still haven't been eaten. We were in town away from home all weekend, I premade my meals but my fiance didn't so he indulged in all kinds of naughty food and he's paying for it today. He says he will be premaking his meals before we go into town from now on which is a huge deal because he has been a fast food junkie for our entire relationship.
  • sukifr
    sukifr Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm still getting attacks as I'm still learning what is right for me. Lastnight I thought I'd have a 'treat' of some milk choc pretzels and I paid the price with really bad pains and lesson learned there!!

I still get really bad constipation even though I've started eating more fruit now, which stops me losing weight. If I could just find a way to combat that, I would be a happy bunny!

Over all I still feel better, I just have to learn how to deal with it all. We have been invited out for lunch this week by some French people we know, my husbands told them a basic recipe I can eat, ie fish/meat, rice and green beans but it's whether they will stick to it or add their own special blend to it?! I actually like plain food, people just don't seem to accept that though for some reason.

Like yourself if we are going to be out and about past meal times, I've learned to take my own.

Good on you for resisting the treats, it proves just where your mind is, and with your future hubby on board that must help no end. My husband is a sugar addict, he cannot go a day without cakes/biscuits/choc, and has a major sulk if there isn't any in the house so I'm just going to have to just learn to deal with having 'untouchables' in the house!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello all I am getting my second gi work up for nausea bloating pain and I know I have ibs. This last month was horrible and I am wondering about fodmaps.
    It seems difficult but mostly I'm wondering how long on the diet before you had decreased symptoms??
    I'd appreciate hearing about your experience
  • patsypooter
    Options
    I'm still getting attacks as I'm still learning what is right for me. Lastnight I thought I'd have a 'treat' of some milk choc pretzels and I paid the price with really bad pains and lesson learned there!!

I still get really bad constipation even though I've started eating more fruit now, which stops me losing weight. If I could just find a way to combat that, I would be a happy bunny!

Over all I still feel better, I just have to learn how to deal with it all. We have been invited out for lunch this week by some French people we know, my husbands told them a basic recipe I can eat, ie fish/meat, rice and green beans but it's whether they will stick to it or add their own special blend to it?! I actually like plain food, people just don't seem to accept that though for some reason.

Like yourself if we are going to be out and about past meal times, I've learned to take my own.

Good on you for resisting the treats, it proves just where your mind is, and with your future hubby on board that must help no end. My husband is a sugar addict, he cannot go a day without cakes/biscuits/choc, and has a major sulk if there isn't any in the house so I'm just going to have to just learn to deal with having 'untouchables' in the house!

He ended up feeding the sweet treats to our chickens, he had no appetite for them either! Sounds like your hubby is a serious sugar addict. I've been there, I understand it. It's been how many months since I've ate sugar and even longer since I ate my fave sugar (jellybeans and candy!) and I still think about it. I think I'll always crave it. But the momentary happiness of eating is definitely not worth the bloating and discomfort.

Eating at other peoples houses is SO HARD. At least at restaurants I can usually find something that works but eating at a friends house is hard. It sounds like they're going to at least try to cook something you can eat! Hopefully it doesnt end up bothering you.

Honestly a lot of your constipation might be from the pain killers :S I don't know a lot about pain pills but I do know that chronic constipation is one of the big complaints about them. I hope the diet change helps though.

I'm finally feeling nearly 100% after my last bad attack. Finally.
  • patsypooter
    Options
    Hello all I am getting my second gi work up for nausea bloating pain and I know I have ibs. This last month was horrible and I am wondering about fodmaps.
    It seems difficult but mostly I'm wondering how long on the diet before you had decreased symptoms??
    I'd appreciate hearing about your experience

It took awhile for me to figure out what foods were causing me problems and some of the FODMAPS foods were problematic for me. If you are lucky and you don't react to any of the FODMAP foods, you will have relief probably within the first week. Maybe even sooner. If you are unlucky like me, and you do react to some of the FODMAPS foods, it will take longer to figure out which foods are the culprit. It's not easy and it's not going to happen overnight but it is SO WORTH IT to figure out what's wrong.

I bet you're convinced there's something majorly wrong with you, right? Start looking into SIBO and diets for SIBO. I believe I have SIBO. It is misdiagnosed as IBS a lot. Well, it might actually be whats causing IBS for all sufferers but they don't know enough about it yet.

I had chronic debilitating nausea, it's been almost entirely gone just from cutting out gluten. If I eat some wheat tomorrow, I'll be nauseous the next morning. I would recommend first cutting out gluten, dairy, processed foods and sugar and then go from there.

This is not a race! This will take awhile to figure out your problems but seriously it will be worth it when you do.

Also keep in mind that for women, IBS symptoms will be worse around ovulation and possibly around your period. There is definitely a big hormonal aspect to this, at least for me.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thanks that seems like a doable start-- the fodmaps seems overwhelming.
    No broccoli?!?! I will learn to live without anything but ...

I agree with you that the disease is horrible and misunderstood-
  • patsypooter
    Options
    Thanks that seems like a doable start-- the fodmaps seems overwhelming.
    No broccoli?!?! I will learn to live without anything but ...

I agree with you that the disease is horrible and misunderstood-

I love cruciferous veggies like broc and cauli but ultimately have given them up for now. Was reading how they can impede thyroid function as well so just decided to cut them out. I do miss my brocoli and cauli! I know I'll be eating them again at some point though.

It's hard to stick to this diet until you go off plan and are in agony. That makes it so much easier to stick to! You do start to appreciate the foods you can eat. I can't tell you how happy I am that I can eat white potaotes. I feel "lucky" that I can eat them! With so many foods off the menu it's great to find a few foods you really love that you can indulge in.