Hunger Pains

Options
claresta23
claresta23 Posts: 64 Member
I don't know what is going on, I am 4 wks out today VSG and I keep having hunger pains in my stomach. It is not head hunger, I know the difference. Maybe I am not eating enough? I stop once I start belching because I don't want to throw up. Any advice?

Replies

• BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    How often are you eating and how much at a time? Are you drinking consistently throughout the day? At 4 weeks out, you can't be eating much. It is possible to have hunger pains.
    I have hunger pains, but they are never like before surgery. It's more of just and empty feeling than actual pains. And my stomach never grumbles now. lol
    If the pains are severe, I would probably call me doctor.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Usually means you aren't drinking enough or you aren't hitting your protein goals. I would call your nut and review your eating pattern and calories
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    At 4 weeks out you should still be eating every couple of hours, which means your stomach is never really empty except for overnight. My doc said an empty sleeve is an unhappy sleeve and make sure to eat every couple of hours for the first 6 months. After that and until 1 year I was eating 3 meals and 3 snacks. Again not really time to get hunger pains. If you are concerned about eating too much can you break your meals down to smaller ones about 6 times a day? If not or that's what you are doing, you might want to talk to your doctor. I'm with SherriA, you shouldn't be getting hunger pain at this point.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It could also be acid. Are you on an acid reducer?
    My surgeon put me on one for the first few months while i'm healing. It does help. When I forget to take it, I do feel "hunger pains" so I take my pill, and they go away.

(I'm five weeks)
  • claresta23
    Options
    No they are not serve they are just annoying. I am like, I just ate, why is my stomach hurting as if it is hungry? I am eating every 3 hours, from 8 to 8.
  • claresta23
    Options
    I have those pills as well but am not taking them. I am taking so much as it is...including a urinary tract infection pill which is taking forever to go away. I got that because I was dehydrated. I am still trying to get the hang of this new lifestyle. Its like I am either eating or drinking ALL DAY. I am still struggling with the fluids.
    My surgeon put me on one for the first few months while i'm healing. It does help. When I forget to take it, I do feel "hunger pains" so I take my pill, and they go away.

(I'm five weeks)
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Claresta23: It will seem like that is all you do is eat and drink, and actually it does account for a lot of your time in the beginning. However this will become your new norm, and soon enough you won't give it a second thought because it will be natural for you.
    Maybe you should try your antacid, I had to start taking mine again after about a year and a half without it. If that doesn't help, it is time to call you clinic/dr/nurse about the problem. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.
  • claresta23
    Options
    Thanks all. I have an appointment for my next check up this Friday, so I will share all of this with the doctor and nutritionist to see what they advise.
  • oStephhanie
    oStephhanie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am 2 weeks out, and just now in the last two days starting to feel a "hungry" feeling in the morning. I wouldn't call it a pain, more of a physical awareness that I need to eat. I only have this feeling in the morning when I first wake up.

At first I couldn't figure what it was at first, because even during my pre-op diet I wasn't hungry, and I wasn't hungry during the liquid diet. I think I had forgotten what it feels like!
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I eat like it's my job! I am SO sick of eating! LOL I would try an acid reducer and see if that helps. I know the feeling you're describing. I'm not a fan of it either!
    It's definitely a learning curve getting used to this new normal!
    I have those pills as well but am not taking them. I am taking so much as it is...including a urinary tract infection pill which is taking forever to go away. I got that because I was dehydrated. I am still trying to get the hang of this new lifestyle. Its like I am either eating or drinking ALL DAY. I am still struggling with the fluids.

(I'm five weeks)