People pushing non-paleo foods on me!

Options
At work people at the office bring in cupcakes and cookies and try to push them on us. It is nice of them to bring in treats, but I cannot eat them. I am working at how to explain to people that I don't eat carbs. When I say this, they tell me "oh you can have some bread! Just don't eat white bread!" Or they tell me--"just have a little bread" Many people don't understand this paleo lifestyle. How do others deal with people that try to push "just one slice of cake" or "just one cupcake" on them?

Thanks!

Replies

• drmartz55
    drmartz55 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1685
    This is a great article- perfect ways to turn down food we don't want to eat
    It's your life & your choices so don't feel bad saying no.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Just be gracious and say "no thanks". Don't explain yourself or you open up the door for people to argue/urge. "No thanks" or even "wow, that foods looks terrific but I'm not hungry right now" and walk away. You have every right to choose to eat or not eat. If someone is extremely pushy about food (ideally just avoid the area where it is!) and you've said "no thanks' a number of times, calmly explain to them that it's unacceptable for someone to try to force another person to eat.

Please do not say "I don't eat carbs" because, yes, you do. Vegetables and fruits are carbs.
  • Kelly_girl_80
    Options
    Yes, Amy. You are right . I get into trouble when I think I have to explain myself or the paleo eating plan. I will use your suggestions next time it happens. Thank you!
  • AshLawsonPearson
    AshLawsonPearson Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I tend to find that the more that I say "Oh, no thanks, I don't eat wheat/grains/rice/cupcakes/candy/etc", the more that people try to argue with me (why?!). If I leave it as "no thank you!", people don't seem to question nearly as much! :)
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's hard when people try to assuage their own guilt by pushing food onto you. Either I just say a polite 'No thanks' which usually gets returned with 'Are you on a diet or something?'....grrrrrr so I've just found it easier to say 'thanks but that stuff doesn't really agree with me'. I often get questioned on that too and just say that it gives me an upset tummy - they usually shut up after that :-)
  • smallpalehuman
    smallpalehuman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's hard when people try to assuage their own guilt by pushing food onto you.

Absolutely agree ^

I have always been very open with my work colleagues about the food I'm trying to avoid if offered treats etc. Going back a few years, after politely refusing birthday cakes, donuts & sweets (on more than one occasion) 'certain' colleagues decided the best place to put the office treats for people to help themselves to, was on...MY desk.

Even though I was screaming inside "GET THESE THE F OFF MY DESK", I took no notice and pushed them to the side without saying a word :happy:
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Say you're gluten intolerant. Chances are 99% of the stuff they bring in will have gluten in it, so you have a legitimate excuse.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Absolutely agree ^

I have always been very open with my work colleagues about the food I'm trying to avoid if offered treats etc. Going back a few years, after politely refusing birthday cakes, donuts & sweets (on more than one occasion) 'certain' colleagues decided the best place to put the office treats for people to help themselves to, was on...MY desk.

Even though I was screaming inside "GET THESE THE F OFF MY DESK", I took no notice and pushed them to the side without saying a word :happy:

That's where I'd just move them to a different common area and politely ask that they keep them elsewhere. If they keep doing it, report it to their manager. What they're doing is bullying, plain and simple. It's a passive aggressive attempt at having some power over you and can lead to a hostile work environment.

Makes me glad I work from home. None of that office crap to deal with. :happy:
    Say you're gluten intolerant. Chances are 99% of the stuff they bring in will have gluten in it, so you have a legitimate excuse.

"I don't want it" is a legitimate reason for not taking something that is offered. No other reason is necessary.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Absolutely agree ^

That's where I'd just move them to a different common area and politely ask that they keep them elsewhere. If they keep doing it, report it to their manager. What they're doing is bullying, plain and simple. It's a passive aggressive attempt at having some power over you and can lead to a hostile work environment.

"I don't want it" is a legitimate reason for not taking something that is offered. No other reason is necessary.

^this. Completely. I would NOT think it funny or innocent if people were putting unhealthy foods on my desk. Definitely bullying. Unacceptable. Yup, don't give any reason, "no thanks" is more than sufficient.
  • smallpalehuman
    smallpalehuman Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Absolutely agree ^

^this. Completely. I would NOT think it funny or innocent if people were putting unhealthy foods on my desk. Definitely bullying. Unacceptable. Yup, don't give any reason, "no thanks" is more than sufficient.

It wasn't the first time I've experienced this type of behavior from these two colleagues.

One would often shout at the top of his voice, “Every time I look at you, you’re eating! You want to be careful – it’s starting to show!” or “I think you better cut down, your clothes are getting tighter” and they’d both giggle. Along with plenty of other inappropriate comments that implied I was getting "fat"

I've also been humiliated in a crowded elevator on two separate occasions by another colleague. The first time, I had been going through a tough time in my life and had lost some weight through stress. This woman told me the weight-loss didn't suit me and it made me look ill. The second time, less than a month later, she announced, once again in the elevator! “So, you've put all your weight back on then!”

It isn't funny, it’s nasty & hurtful. The environment I was in (a male-orientated stockbroking desk) meant I had developed a thick-skin. I would often smile, laugh and shrug it off; I didn't want to give them the satisfaction of getting angry and upset. I would laugh because I pitied them. This middle aged man & woman were so insecure about themselves, they had to bully a 20-something year old about her weight and eating habits.

Yep, people can be mean. Especially in an office.

Edited to add: I weighed between 96-105lb during their "fat-shaming" phase.