help i think i'm eating to much protein

Options
can protein be a factor to don't go into ketosis or kick you out ???

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    yes, eating too much protein may prevent ketosis. can't see your diary, so don't know how much protein you are eating.
    ketosis comes when you eat very low net carbs (carbs - fiber - sugar alcohols), moderate protein, and high fat. Typically people have good success getting into keto state with 5% carbs/35% protein/65% fat. Some others like me, tend to do better with just a little less protein and more fat. More like 5% carbs/25% protein/70% fat.
  • vampy0611Raquel
    vampy0611Raquel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for you reply ,i don't know what to eat really everything that is low carb is high protein i will let my diary public so you can check what i'm doing wrong
  • aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    5+35+65=110...
  • vampy0611Raquel
    vampy0611Raquel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i'm been only 3 days but apart from the protein issue i think i'm doing well before i eat maybe 180-220 carb per day and i have reduce this very much i filling ok but a little bit off maybe is the keto flu
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    5+35+65=110...

actually it = 105, and it was a typo. my apologies.

My above post should have said 5% carbs/30% protein/65% fat
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You can customize your diary to a keto diet.
    Home>Goals>Change goals>custom. There you can enter your 5/30/65 so it will show up accurately in your diary. You can also add in a fiber column so you can subtract from your daily carbs.
  • Sandra110360
    Sandra110360 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a newbie too. So new I haven't even finished my profile or figured out how this site works yet.

I've read a lot about Keto & the Atkins diet. I've been easing my way into it for a few months now and have lost about 10 lbs with well over 100 lbs to go. I'm pre-diabetic and definitely have issues with carbs as well as carb/sugar cravings.

Keto is do-able to me and my limited experience has seen some reduction in the cravings. I'm still confused about the macros but learning as I go.

Just wanted to say hi & I'm glad to find the group for support.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I stated Keto diet about 3 weeks ago. I shoot for 10% carbs, 25% protein, and 65% fat. It took me about two weeks to get it right. I am finally in ketosis and I feel great. As someone just mentioned, go to your goals and choose custom. First enter your calories, then the % for carbs, protein, and fat. I try to stay close to those numbers.
  • croooz
    croooz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just a cursory look at your diary, ~ 3 days worth, I would say you do hit some pretty high numbers. This might violate MFP gospel but our bodies do not require a lot of protein especially when following a ketogenic diet. The hormonal regulation because of the increased fat has a significant muscle sparing effect. That being said too much protein will definitely kick you out of ketosis because the excess is converted to glucose via gluco-NEO-genesis. Basically the formation of new glucose from protein which stops ketosis. If you have the resources by a keto breathalyzer or ketonometer (glucose meter that measure ketones). The latter is very expensive, approximately $5/strip with one test/strip. Whichever you chose you need to have an objective indicator of whether or not you're in ketosis. Feelings or breath doesn't really cut it. Once you have an indicator start with a high fat intake ~90%, then slowly lower that while increasing your protein percentage to find your keto "sweet" spot. Ketosis is individual and some are able to intake more protein and carbs than others. The only way to know for sure is to test yourself. The recommendation of 90% is to start at a level than undoubtedly induces ketosis and then see what you're limits are by adjusting up or down.

Other things that may affect ketosis:
    -stress
    -lack of sleep
    -hormonal imbalance
    -musculature
    -digestion
    -dairy
    -nuts
  • marymom
    marymom Posts: 26
    Options
    I think i tend to eat more protein too . Its my go-to food. I need meal ideas that are keto friendly, but easy. Im having a hard time getting enough fat and keep my calories in check and not feeling food volume deprived
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i just upped my protien in my goals to 25%. I was doing 5/85/10...but just not getting enough protien.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i just upped my protien in my goals to 25%. I was doing 5/85/10...but just not getting enough protien.

How did you find out - did you lose lean body mass?
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think i tend to eat more protein too . Its my go-to food. I need meal ideas that are keto friendly, but easy. Im having a hard time getting enough fat and keep my calories in check and not feeling food volume deprived

Volume shouldn't be an issue, since you can mix low carb veggies and fat (butter, olive oil, coconut oil) ... and you can regulate protein via the meat/fish/egg "side dish".
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I stick to 80-90g a day, more protein preserves more muscle. As long as you eat fat with the protein it slows the conversion of protein to glucose.