Last Minute Tips before Race

Options
smc0170
smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
I've been working at it for months, and it's finally here...my first race is this weekend! I've done the training, bought the gear, worked on transitions...but I still feel like I have no idea what to expect.

Are there any last minute tips to think about for the race from people who have been there before?

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Get there early. Get body marked and find your spot in transition. Whatever wheel you're putting on the ground goes on the side your number is on. Lay our your stuff in the smallest amount of room possible and then go find the entrances and exits of transition. Run through your transition in your head a bit. Then head off for the swim start. If you can get in a little w/u swim go for it, and if not just chill out and wait for your turn to go. Once the gun goes off execute your race plan and don't worry about what others are doing around you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with Scott - get there early, lay out your stuff, then find the entrance/exit from the transition area so you know where you're going/coming from in relation to your spot.

Other than that, the best advice I can give is to stop thinking. You can't predict/anticipate everything. Like you've said, you've done the prep work, you've put in the training time... now just trust yourself and have fun with it.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    While turning your brain off is tough for most type A triathletes it is necessary. This week is about staying sharp so you can go out and execute this weekend. There is no fitness to be gained this week and you need to recover both physically and mentally. If you have a race plan you should know it by now. So just get some sleep, work in some short/hard work, and chill out.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I will suggest this. Get up early.

Try to get your morning constitutional handled early and completely. When you're in the race, and things are moving around in your gut wanting to come out. You won't have time for that.

Get up, drop some pounds, and then go back to sleep.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Spot something in the transition that will help you find your bike when you run in.... trust me, all of the bikes and racks look the same! Some people count racks.... by the time I get there I either have forgotten that number to I forgot to start counting when I get in. I look for something outside the transition area that is in line with my bike rack.... like a car or a tree. I also put my helmet on my seat as opposed to on the ground. That helps me. Between being a spectator for years and beginning racing myself, I have watched numerous people get lost in the transition area!

Since it is your first race, DON"T WORRY ABOUT TIME! Have a blast and smile huge when you cross that finish line because these things are no joke and you are awesome!

Good luck!
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    A trick I learned from skydiving...

SMILE. I swear it helps break the tension. If you are feeling anxious, just look around, take it all in and smile.

I've also seen it said a few different places, but treat race day as a celebration of your training. You've put in a lot of hard work to get here, enjoy it.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    all good advice! i agree with the last poster to smile. whenever i do an organized race, i see people who look absolutely miserable.. i would rather have a good time than have a good time, if you know what i mean. (though of course both is best!) i thanks each volunteer as i biked/ran by and in addition to making them feel good, it made me feel good. plus, you look a lot better in pictures if you're smiling.

another piece of advice i'll add is that it may be tempting to carb load, and you should some, but be careful not to overeat in the days leading up to the race. the last thing you want is to feel bloated and sluggish on race morning. this happened to me recently.

enjoy!!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the others who have set get there early. You want enough time to check out the transition area, walk through the transitions, and visit the portapottie. Expect long lines at the portapottie. I always keep a package of tissues in my tri bag because I have been to some larger races where they ran out of toilet paper.
    I always go to packet pick up on the day prior to the race, and then drive the bike and the run course if I haven't already seen them.
    Hopefully at this point you have already practiced with your pre-race meal. You don't want to experiment with anything new the day before or the morning of the race.
    I still make a list and check everything off as I pack it to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.
    Most importantly just try to relax and enjoy the experience.
    And bring along a friend or significant other to take lots of pictures!
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know about the OP, but I got some good advice! Thanks guys! My 1st Duathlon is tomorrow morning - egads! did I actually type that!?! - and I've run things over in my mind 1000 times. But then again I was the same when I ran my 1st 5K..fear of the unknown, although now I've got just a little more than a 5K going! lol

I think my biggest concern is the drafting on the bike. I've done everything alone, planning & training, and I'll be going alone tomorrow as well. I'll be going to the pre-race seminar later, but I'm so scared of violating the "no draft policy" without knowing I'm doing it, because I've never ridden with anyone.
    treat race day as a celebration of your training. You've put in a lot of hard work to get here, enjoy it.

Exactly! I know I'm not out to "win" tomorrow against anyone but the old me. This is to mark my 1 year of running (July 25 2013) & getting fit. This is MY birthday!
  • smc0170
    Options
    I think my biggest concern is the drafting on the bike. I've done everything alone, planning & training, and I'll be going alone tomorrow as well. I'll be going to the pre-race seminar later, but I'm so scared of violating the "no draft policy" without knowing I'm doing it, because I've never ridden with anyone.

Great tips in this thread! Thank you everyone for the advice. This is a worry of mine too, that and the start of the swim. I'd prefer to just hang in the back, but I'm actually a pretty strong swimmer. So I'd be swimming over people if I did that. I think it's to the front of the line with me, but I'm afraid of getting kicked/punched/etc.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Great tips in this thread! Thank you everyone for the advice. This is a worry of mine too, that and the start of the swim. I'd prefer to just hang in the back, but I'm actually a pretty strong swimmer. So I'd be swimming over people if I did that. I think it's to the front of the line with me, but I'm afraid of getting kicked/punched/etc.

Stay to the side then. It's perfectly legal to swim inside the line of the buoys, and there is often calmer water there... just make sure you go around the outside in the turns.

As far as drafting on the bike goes, it's not that big of a deal as long as you are aware of it. When you get close to someone, either back off, push ahead, or just slide over a bit so you aren't directly behind them. My first couple of races I was worried about it, too... but it's never been an issue. Also, at least IME, for most races you have to intentionally and blatantly draft to have any problems. If you ride up on someone and are there a count longer than you should be, you'll probably be fine. Just don't sit there for a mile so you can recover.
  • cavewoman15
    Options
    good luck this weekend new racers!

i was worried about the no draft policy b/c i always ride with my partner and we draft each other.. mostly he drafts me. but i have never found this to be a problem in a race. one guy drafted me for a bit in my last race, but eventually pulled out and passed me. we ended up leap-frogging some, and it became clear to me that this was his first race and he didn't know the rules.

i wouldn't recommend staying to the back of the swim pack if you are a strong swimmer. people are doing some weird stuff back there like breast stroke and other strange things with their bodies and it makes it a little difficult. i would echo the other posters.. go up closer to the front and stay off to the side. adding a little mileage is worth it IMO.
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think it's to the front of the line with me, but I'm afraid of getting kicked/punched/etc.

Don't waste energy stressing over this. It WILL happen. People will be bumping you, touching your feet, swimming over you. You can't control that. If you remember THAT, you will be fine. Think about things you CAN control, setting up transition, knowing your ins-and-outs of transition, making sure your bike is in the right gear for when you start.
  • smc0170
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful tips everyone. The race was this past Saturday, and it went much better than I thought it would! I opted to start wide on the side at the start of the swim, and was able to keep pace with the leaders who were bunched on the right. I only was close with people going around the buoy, but it all spaced out after the turn. If I would've been close, I could have seen it being an issue...but I was happy with how I started.

I got passed a bunch on the bike and run, but that's OK...I was just happy to make it to the end!
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Nice! Glad you had a good first experience. Be warned, the sport is addicting:happy:
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Great job, OP!! Mine went well, too. So my question to you is.....I'm debating about signing up for another one on Sept 27th. Have you been "bit by the bug', too? lol
  • smc0170
    Options
    Oh absolutely. I signed up for one in two weeks about an hour after I got home from the race :) I had hurt my knee and went through rehab, so I wanted to make sure I had no problems with it first. I didn't, and now I'm in.

I'm already planning out my training and race schedule for next year. I think I have a problem now...
  • cavewoman15
    Options
    glad you both had good first races. congrats!!

i've also got 'the bug'! this is my first season and i've done two sprints building up to an oly, which is in a little over two weeks (GASP!). the other day i found myself looking for late-season sprints. sheesh! i've been an athlete my whole life, yet i'm in the best shape of my life and i am constantly amazed at my fitness. what a cool sport!!