Taste Bud Change

Options
authorwriter
authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
Pre-Sleeve, I loved meat. Just loved it. My best reducing diet was one that involved salad and steak. So I've been twiddling my thumbs waiting for the day I could again enjoy beef.

And tonight I did. Prob 2 wks ahead of when I should, but I'm feeling adventurous. Guess what?

It was a great big 'meh'.

Seriously.

I had 2 ounces of it, put down the fork and thought. I could have stopped an ounce ago because the flavor did nothing for me.

Now I'm waiting, emesis basin nearby, just in case my new stomach is annoyed at me for giving it a try. How weird is it that while I was eating it I was actually thinking I'd really prefer a nice serving of broiled salmon instead?

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You may get back there, eventually. The salmon is more moist and easier to digest. It may be your body's way of asking you for what it needs right now. I don't eat as much beef as I used to but weirdly crave pulled pork tacos now. They're shreddy and moist, high protein and I can make it in the crock pot which is super easy! Embrace the change and enjoy the ride!
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Taste buds do change - I have found that out. And that is my ideal dinner - steak and salad!

If you do try salmon - try poaching it in water with lemon. It comes out much more moist and easier to digest.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yes, I poached some salmon the other day. I agree that broiling would prob make it too dry.

Today, I had to see my primary and I was fasting in case he wanted blood work. By the time the appt was over and I got the bloodwork and ran one errand, my daughter, who was along because with my back, I wasn't certain I could manage it all by myself, asked me for Smashburger.

I've never been to Smashburger and I didn't go inside today. I waited outside. She came out and said, 'They have an avocado ranch black bean burger if you want to try it.' So I told her go ahead, and it came out, but had bread. Daughter tells me they have gluten free options...

this is long-winded. Long story short, yes, I ate the burger. Like 3 bites at a time. I just finished it, so it did it's bit for 3 meals. It's 600 calories according to MFP. So a little higher than I'd normally go for, but an interesting experience because of the bread. My daughter offered me a bite of her burger and I gave beef one more try and it was another great big 'meh'. In fact, I'm thinking about steak now and I'm not in the least interested.

I don't eat chicken anymore, either, since the surgery. I tried it over and over and sometimes it stayed down, but too often it came up and I decided I just didn't like it enough to keep on trying. Latey, my protein of choice is some kind of fish - tilapia, salmon, whitefish...something. Or a poached egg. Or protein ice cream (thank what gods there be for The World According to Eggface).

On the good side, I expect constipation won't be a problem tomorrow with all those beans.

Had a nice chat with my PCP about the surgery today. Told him that I think the effects are more profound than merely resecting most of my stomach. The changes in appetite and the foods I truly enjoy eating is almost like magic.
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to love eggs, and I thought PERFECT for this lifestyle. Not so much anymore, I can't choke down half an egg.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast rather boring now. My tolerance for spice especially chili was reduced but I am slowly getting back to my original spice level
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    Haven't really noticed any changes. But sometimes I just don't feel like meat or egg so cheeses come on to the menu. Chicken certainly caused problems early on but not now. I don't eat chocolate or potato chips, but not because I don't want it. I can get sick of some foods but leave them for a while and happy to have again.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I used to love mayonnaise, even the light kind, now, I can't even deal with it. I used to hate raspberries or anything raspberry flavored, now I like them. I used to LOVE seafood - now, I like it, but I can take it or leave it, and I don't even want to cook it. I discover little changes like this all the time.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have had very few changes in what I like. I still love butter, and cheese, and dead cow on a plate. :) I love bologna, bacon, and crispy chicken wings. The one thing that has changed is I very rarely crave sweets and in the event I give in to the craving, I eat about 3-4 bites and that is enough. :bigsmile:
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have had very few changes in what I like. I still love butter, and cheese, and dead cow on a plate. :) I love bologna, bacon, and crispy chicken wings. The one thing that has changed is I very rarely crave sweets and in the event I give in to the craving, I eat about 3-4 bites and that is enough. :bigsmile:

Now that is a good trade off :happy:
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bread is about the only thing that doesn't work for me post VGS-- there's something about the density of it and my new stomach shape that just leads to discomfort. Also, for my nutritional goals- bread doesn't have a lot to offer for it's calories so it's something I abstain from along with a lot of other carbs like pasta and rice. Five Guys used to be a favorite of mine pre VGS- and I've had one patty while there with the family recently- and its just not the same now which is probably a good thing.
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Took me about 4 months to start enjoying beef again and it has to be very tender.