Anyone wearing bracelets with medical ID ?

Options
ls_66
ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
recently a runner that I sort of know collapsed and lost consciousness during a practice run and he was alone.. no warnings whatsoever he was lucky someone saw the whole thing a called 911.... he was on couple medications and my understanding is that the first responders gave him a treatment that made things worst that made me think that maybe I need such a bracelet with all my meds listed... thoughts? recommendations?

Replies

• prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Nope but maybe I should, I'm allergic to penicillin.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have a Road ID bracelet that I wear to races and long runs with contact info etc on it. I don't have any medical conditions but it's still smart to wear something like that, you never know what could happen. If I DID have a serious allergy or condition I would wear it all the time.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I also have a road ID bracelet with my full name and city (no address) and 2 emergency contacts phone numbers. I also had written a pretty life to death medical condition (allergy to a certain type of anesthetic). I feel like it's something they should know about right away in case they need to operate on me before having contacted my boyfriend or my mom.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    My son ordered an ID and when I scoffed he pointed out I am 66 formerly morbidly obese and hypertensive and despite my weight loss I might be vulnerable so now I wear it for my runs and my swims. I don't notice it on my wrist at all and my contact info and medical info is with me all the time now. Hopefully it will always be an unnecessary rather unattractive piece of jewelry I never need.
    There is also the possibility that I get hit by a car or bike and am unconscious when they get to me.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Road ID. If you have more issues than can be abbreviated on the bracelet, they have an interactive one. It gives the doctor/EMT a number to call or a website to go to where they can view your extensive medical history.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I wear dog tags that have my medical conditions and father's name & phone # under "In case of emergency" posted.

There's always the possibility I might need an emergency blood transfusion.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I don't have any medical conditions but do run alone a lot so ordered a Road ID with my details and contact details for OH on it. I wear it all the time now.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    No serious medical conditions here, but add another to the "I wear a RoadID" brigade. I wear mine when I race or run by myself. I've never needed anyone to check it, but, as they say, "Better to be safe..."

Name, birth year
    City
    Wife's phone number
    Amoxicillan Allergy
    "PLZ DRAG ACROSS FINISH"
  • salvaje913
    salvaje913 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am another Road ID person.

I have the interactive one that they can call/website to get additional info. I figured with some medical history I have and I rather not have to carry a wallet around when I run by myself having some sort of ID was better than none.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Road ID here too... makes my wife feel better...
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wear a Road ID bracelet any time I run or I'm on my bike... it indicates that I have no known allergies, two "in case of emergency" phone numbers, and my health card number. Two of my fears are that something will happen on a run/ ride and my daughter will be left at school/ day camp etc. with no one there to get her, or that something will happen to me and I'll be in the hospital/ morgue for days before someone tracks down my next of kin.
  • free_state
    free_state Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a road id dog tag that I keep with my iPhone.

On a related note the next iPhone OS update that comes out this fall has a medical ID screen that can be accessed on the lock screen without a password.

It includes:

Medical conditions
    Medical notes
    Allergies and Reactions
    Medications
    Contact numbers (you can add as many as you want)
    Blood type
    Organ donor status
    height
    weight

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/health/

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/health/images/health_screen_health.jpg
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have a road ID that shows I have asthma. I should wear it but I forget, I try to at least wear or carry it on my longer runs. I need a new one actually, the reflective strip on the one i have is completely worn off so it's useless... except for the stenciled info on the tag.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Road ID here too. Got them for my kids as well.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Road Id with the online link as I am on blood thinners, if something happens then the EMS are aware of this and can stop any bleeding if there is.

Wear mine all the time
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I wear a road ID bracelet plus my phone has emergency numbers set to go. I don't have medical issues (yet) and I always want to be ready just in case. Always a good idea to have at least the road ID.