How candid/honest can we get in here......

Options
dolcezza72
dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
chaffing??? I feel like I am missing part of my female anatomy? Like someone took sand paper to the left side.... How can I avoid this in the future? Do you use lube like DZ nuts for the run also? I am not sure how to make sure this doesn't happen again?

Replies

• EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If the chafing is from cycling, good shorts go a long way. You get what you pay for.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I use DZ Nuts. Applied once before the race/long rides. The end.

That said I did scream like a little girl when I showered after IMTX. LOL.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    no no no no no... Girls aren't SUPPOSED to have one of those... that's a boy part, you're not missing anything.

Anti-chafe creams go a long way. I've used a few, including DZ Nuts, and they all seem about the same to me. If it's for training rides, then anything should work. If it's for raced or swim bricks, make sure it won't wear off/wash away in the water.

And like scott said... sometimes there's only so much you can do. Post race showers almost always suck.
  • dolcezza72
    Options
    I used DZ nuts before the ride, and wore decent shorts, the shower hurt but was awesome compared to the first time I tinkled, it felt like a thousand cuts down there, sounds like it isn't all that abnormal then... I will just lube up again before the run then!
  • scott091501
    Options
    I used DZ nuts before the ride, and wore decent shorts, the shower hurt but was awesome compared to the first time I tinkled, it felt like a thousand cuts down there, sounds like it isn't all that abnormal then... I will just lube up again before the run then!

They make a female specific version called Bliss from the same brand. There's also a Chamois Butt'r Hers. Not entirely sure what the difference is or maybe it's just marketing.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Honestly.....never had any chaffing issues (maybe I'm doing something wrong?). What were you wearing?
  • couerdelion
    couerdelion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wife had the same problem and for her it was as simple as changing saddles to fix it. However the saddle was shaped and her sitting position it meant that she was putting pressure on her bits which was causing the issue.

There are hundreds to choose from though so it may take a bit of trial and error till you find one that suits your "shape" down there. A lot of cycle shops have a loaner scheme on certain brands where you can try before you buy though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Wife had the same problem and for her it was as simple as changing saddles to fix it. However the saddle was shaped and her sitting position it meant that she was putting pressure on her bits which was causing the issue.

There are hundreds to choose from though so it may take a bit of trial and error till you find one that suits your "shape" down there. A lot of cycle shops have a loaner scheme on certain brands where you can try before you buy though.

That's what I was thinking too....

OP have you had a big increase in training volume recently?
  • Icemanbn
    Icemanbn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good anti chafing cremes. I use Button Hole and Udderly Smooth. It's an udder creme. Button Hole is very good. You can put some in your special needs bags for half way through the bike and run. Be liberal. I got back to the hotel after IM Moo II last year, sat down on the bed and left a red mark the size of my butt. I had no idea I was so chaffed. It was from the run, not the bike. I use ISM Adamo saddles and good TYR shorts.
  • dolcezza72
    Options
    I cycle a lot and do ok in that department, I am new to running (if you can call it that, VERY new) My injury came from the run also. I didn't know that I needed to lube up before the run. I will try that again, but do people really reach down and apply right in the transition area?
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't surprise me if someone is really hurting that they would use anti-chafe cream while they were out on the course, never mind transition. Some products come in tubes small enough to tuck in a pocket or packaged as individual wipes just for this purpose.
  • scott091501
    Options
    I have friends that will stick their race bib down their pants if it gets bad on the run. I've never had the need.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My injury came from the run also

If it's from running, then it may be a different story. For me, chafing when running is all about the shorts. That said, different things rub on you than they do on me, so...

do people really reach down and apply right in the transition area?

I do. Racing and modesty have little in common.