BBC Story about Low Carb Dieting

Options
Has anyone watched this movie? It looks a little dated, but it kind of flies in the face of how I was thinking about low carb/high fat/keto.

Thoughts welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epxp_Viq484 : BBC Story about Low Carb Dieting (full)

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    What I find funny is that a lot of the negative claims about low-carb diets have been around for much longer than you would think. I was reading the book about Steffanson and Anderson (two men who ate only meat--no veggies, eggs, dairy for a year). In that book, which was published around 1920-1930, Steffanson talks about people being worried about how it would harm the kidneys, give you heart attacks, cause vitamin deficiencies (particularly Vitamin C), etc. And, after a full year of nothing but meat under medical supervision and testing, Steffanson felt that he had provided evidence that those worries were bunk*. This was back in the early 1900s. But, we still hear those old wives tales and concerns to this day.

* His observation was that the only remarkable result from the entire study was that nothing remarkable happened at all. The two men were just as healthy (and a little thinner) than when they had started it.
  • tsmagpi
    tsmagpi Posts: 14
    Options
    Right, I don't think they were saying it didn't work. (I shouldn't have been so lazy in my opening post). It was more that protein made you feel fuller and you ate less. Thats why Atkins works.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    No, Atkins works because insulin is controlled by eating high fat and moderate protein. BBC is comedy when it comes to fitness. If you see the study they showed fat/protein satiety when the subjects ate bunch of carbs, proteins and fats. They tallied at the end and showed that there was no difference in Satiety. BBC also had a series truth about food, they did a satiety test in that show, the subject who was eating more fat was given a pizza, the high protein guy was given mostly chicken with little bit of pasta. Guess what, if you eat lot of carbs, it does;t matter what you eat because insulin spikes, and you will get hungry when it falls. When I am in cutting phase, I eat 80% fat and my protein is around 80-100g, I could get by 1 meal a day. Now I eat 150-160 g of protein per day, I am hungry and there is no way I can do with one meal, I have to eat more than one meal because I am hungry.
  • tsmagpi
    tsmagpi Posts: 14
    Options
    Right (I wasn't saying thats why Atkins works, thats what they were saying, I was just trying to true up the discrepancies), I'm going on that assumption, the high fat. And thats where the disconnect was, and I see now they we're adding the carbs to the high fat meal.

ON SIDE NOTE: @Leonidas
    I'm curious how you eat once a day and 80% fat. Do you have something to link to or share some sample meals on how someone can do that.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    My Diary is open. Most of my meals from feb- May/june were 80% fat. I trave a lot, so every other week I rely on starbucks heavy cream for fats.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My Diary is open. Most of my meals from feb- May/june were 80% fat. I trave a lot, so every other week I rely on starbucks heavy cream for fats.

I didn't know they made an iced latte with cream - that will definitely be my drink of choice next time I go!

The good thing about fat is that small quantities go a long way - for example, one could make a smoothie from raspberries, raw eggs and coconut oil. Tip: Add a little bit of heavy cream, too - tastes delicious, and certainly in the 80% range, depending on the ratios (and you could leave out the egg whites).