Whole 30 and Crossfit

Options
Hey guys I'm thinking of starting a Whole30 challenge. Big deal for me.

Have any carb withdrawal stages or anything hurt crossfit performance? What do you guys eat before/after crossfit that's compliant/doesn't need a microwave?

Anyone found this to be not as big of a deal as I think it's going to be?

Replies

• ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've done the Whole 30 and getting ready to again in September (but disclaimer: I only do CF twice a week). You will get that "carb flu" for the first week or so, but you can still fuel your workouts with real food such as some protein (i.e. eggs) and fats (i.e. avocado). Eating a Whole 30 compliant snack probably about an hour before working out would be good. Ultimately what is ideal is to be fat-adapted so that you are not relying on carbs for energy but rather you are using your fat stores for energy. Once you're there you shouldn't need to fuel up before a workout because you won't have that glucose crash.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I did the whole life challenge recently and found that I had ZERO energy during my 6 am wods when I didn't eat enough (calorie wise) the day before. I usually workout in a fasted state (been doing it for years and its worked well for me), but those days I need to eat a banana or half a larabar or something before my WOD. Hope that helps.
  • kristincreate
    Options
    I haven't done Whole30 so I can't say, but rather than eliminating carbs all together maybe try eating your starchier carbs close to your workouts.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I'm thinking of starting a Whole30 challenge. Big deal for me.

Have any carb withdrawal stages or anything hurt crossfit performance? What do you guys eat before/after crossfit that's compliant/doesn't need a microwave?

Anyone found this to be not as big of a deal as I think it's going to be?

I do a protein shake after the workouts. We usually make an exception for that when we do our Paleo challenges just for conveniences sake.

I never really had any carb withdrawal issues. Just make sure you are eating enough calories overall. Cutting out white carbs and grains axes a lot of calories from most people's diets and you need to make up at least some of them or you will end up getting headaches from just not eating enough.

Good luck!
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Thank you guys! Eating potatoes at 5am is my extreme plan to take everything into account :)

But really, I'll keep these in mind!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't get the concept of a meal plan one would go off and on. If you can't stay on it, it's a diet.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It's honestly pretty easy to get plenty of carbs on W30. Sweet potatoes, regular potatoes are now allowed, plantains!, pumpkin, squash, fruit (both fresh and dried), Lara bars....

I only lost 1 lb doing W30 and in retrospect I was replacing my usual "10%" small treats/splurges with too many Larabars and spoonfuls of coconut butter. I already had been eating 80-90% primal and the rules and off-limits foods caused a nasty rebound effect once the 30 days was over. I'd much rather just stick with something sustainable.

ETA: pre workout was the toughest time for me because I had always eaten yogurt pre-W30. I tried HB eggs which my tummy didn't like too much. Beef jerky and/or fruit or nuts worked ok. Sometimes I'd just have a few bites of leftover cold meat and sweet potato.