Interesting numbers

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
I got into a good rhythm with my testing numbers. The morning fasting stayed between 110 and 120, before lunch was almost always in the 80's, and pre-dinner was typically around 100 when I didn't work out at 4 PM and around 110 when I did. My doctor told me that, when I had a month where the before lunch numbers were consistently between 70 and 90 I should call her and she would take me off the glipizide. YAY!

Then I started adding morning workouts on the days I didn't go to the water aerobics class. My numbers before lunch went up and the dinner ones started jumping around more than they had. For the fun of it, yesterday I decided I would test every hour just to see what would happen and I found the results to be fascinating. I started just before lunch, then hourly.

My results:
AM fasting: 119
Before Lunch 12:30 PM: 97
1:30: 109
2:30 (ate a snack) 101
3:30 97
4:30 99
5:30 113
6:30 (ate dinner) 100
7:30 114
8:30 113
9:30 102

Odd things and questions:
1)My morning fasting was the highest my BG got for the day
2) Why would my number rise from 4:30 to 5:30 even though I didn't eat anything?
3) Is this consistency good? My numbers rose and fell no more than 22 points during the day

To complete my investigation, I will do this on a day where I only workout in the morning and one where I only do my water aerobics in the late afternoon and see what happens. I have to wait a few days to let my fingertips rest though.

Replies

• kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Morning high can be due to the dread Dawn Phenomenon. Try looking that up. The afternoon high could be a glucose dump cause you hadn't eaten. But your numbers look pretty good to me.
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    those are really good numbers.

That said, My understanding is the meters only have to read plus or minus 20% to be sold. Based on that a spike of 14 points is not really a spike at all. I think if you would have taken a reading 5 minutes latter your readings would have been better or worse.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I got into a good rhythm with my testing numbers. The morning fasting stayed between 110 and 120, before lunch was almost always in the 80's, and pre-dinner was typically around 100 when I didn't work out at 4 PM and around 110 when I did. My doctor told me that, when I had a month where the before lunch numbers were consistently between 70 and 90 I should call her and she would take me off the glipizide. YAY!

Then I started adding morning workouts on the days I didn't go to the water aerobics class. My numbers before lunch went up and the dinner ones started jumping around more than they had. For the fun of it, yesterday I decided I would test every hour just to see what would happen and I found the results to be fascinating. I started just before lunch, then hourly.

My results:
    AM fasting: 119
    Before Lunch 12:30 PM: 97
    1:30: 109
    2:30 (ate a snack) 101
    3:30 97
    4:30 99
    5:30 113
    6:30 (ate dinner) 100
    7:30 114
    8:30 113
    9:30 102

Odd things and questions:
    1)My morning fasting was the highest my BG got for the day
    2) Why would my number rise from 4:30 to 5:30 even though I didn't eat anything?
    3) Is this consistency good? My numbers rose and fell no more than 22 points during the day

To complete my investigation, I will do this on a day where I only workout in the morning and one where I only do my water aerobics in the late afternoon and see what happens. I have to wait a few days to let my fingertips rest though.

Yes, my fingertips would need some rest too! Sometimes the morning is the highest in some people. The consistency is good. Sometimes my blood will rise a little bit too even if I didn't eat anything. The numbers also depend on what you were eating during the day and the combination. I would think that you would have to eat the exact same thing when you complete your investigation to really compare the results.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Morning high can be due to the dread Dawn Phenomenon. Try looking that up. The afternoon high could be a glucose dump cause you hadn't eaten. But your numbers look pretty good to me.

I ate a Quest bar with 25 g carbs, 20g protein, and 17 g fiber 3 hours before the spike. My understanding is that I should have spiked a little sooner, like an hour or two after I ate it, then started going down again.

I am very familiar with dawn syndrome. That is why my doctor wants me to use my pre-lunch numbers instead of morning fasting as my main numbers of the day.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Yes, my fingertips would need some rest too! Sometimes the morning is the highest in some people. The consistency is good. Sometimes my blood will rise a little bit too even if I didn't eat anything. The numbers also depend on what you were eating during the day and the combination. I would think that you would have to eat the exact same thing when you complete your investigation to really compare the results.

That actually won't be too hard. My breakfast, lunch, and snacks are fairly consistent. I switch up the meat I eat in my sandwich and what fruit I eat but there is definitely a sameness to them.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

This sounds *very* reasonable to me as I surmised the same thing when I've done BG curves.

Every now & then, I'll do that but note how I felt, whether I was hungry, hot (from being outside) etc.

I've read that FBG is the last to go, so often the pattern of gaining control, is to have numbers that trend 'normal' yet still have a higher FBG by comparison. Though it doesn't work that way for everyone for a variety of reasons that are outside the scope of this thread.

My gaining better control also followed this path & I've found that if I wait too long to eat, my BG can definitely go up. For that reason, I prefer to have small snacks (nuts, cheese etc) between meals. Also, this is why Intermittent Fasting did NOT work for me :blushing: I think it caused me too much stress. Also, I was concerned about the 'spread' btw numbers.

You sound like you're doing great by the way!!!!
    :drinker:
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Also remember things other than what you eat can affect your numbers. BG control is not a perfect science where you can point to food in -> BG response.

For example, I can walk to get my lunch and my BG will go up. It isn't really a workout or exercise, it is a five minute walk down and up a few flights of stairs. When I get a migraine headache, my BG is usually higher.

Your numbers look good. You might find trying to explain all the details impossible. Focus on the big picture. Before and after meals and A1C over time.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Also remember things other than what you eat can affect your numbers. BG control is not a perfect science where you can point to food in -> BG response.

For example, I can walk to get my lunch and my BG will go up. It isn't really a workout or exercise, it is a five minute walk down and up a few flights of stairs. When I get a migraine headache, my BG is usually higher.

Your numbers look good. You might find trying to explain all the details impossible. Focus on the big picture. Before and after meals and A1C over time.

yes, that's a good point =)
    I get wacky numbers when my cycle starts, headaches definitely make my BG's go up too. I like BG curves because it gives me an idea of what I can work on & what I can let go.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    What an interesting experiment! Because the Quest bar has a significant amount of fiber, the digestion and absorption of the carbohydrate should be slowed down. You're almost imitating a continuous glucose monitor on your own :) ~Lynn/Glucerna
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That is an interesting experiment

Day one eat a snickers bar and test every half hour until your levels come back down.

Day two eat a quest bar or other high fiber bar and test every half hour.

I may have to try this this week.

Every thing you read would lead you to believe that the fiber will regulate the carbs slowly. The question is, does it really have that much of an effect?
  • earlnabby
    Options

Day one eat a snickers bar and test every half hour until your levels come back down.

Every thing you read would lead you to believe that the fiber will regulate the carbs slowly. The question is, does it really have that much of an effect?

Cool idea. I guess I will have to "force" myself to eat a Snickers in the interest of science :ohwell:
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Cool idea. I guess I will have to "force" myself to eat a Snickers in the interest of science :ohwell:

Me too! I'm in!
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Me too! I'm in!

I could be in on that too!!