Falling off the wagon

Options
I am new to this group (and the app) and could use some support. I had my VSG in Jan 2011. Short story is, I was very sick after having the surgery because I also ended up having part of my pancreas and spleen removed during the surgery, and developed an esophageal leak as well. I could not eat for 3 months (I was on TPN), and when I did start eating I was healed so I did not necessarily have to ease into eating again and developed bad habits again pretty quickly. I have lost about 70 pounds, but could really use to lose another 80; I'd settle for 50. I know what to do, I just could use some encouragement. Very down, I eat stuff I shouldn't, and I graze all the time. Any one have a similar experience?

Replies

• juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    I am new to this group (and the app) and could use some support. I had my VSG in Jan 2011. Short story is, I was very sick after having the surgery because I also ended up having part of my pancreas and spleen removed during the surgery, and developed an esophageal leak as well. I could not eat for 3 months (I was on TPN), and when I did start eating I was healed so I did not necessarily have to ease into eating again and developed bad habits again pretty quickly. I have lost about 70 pounds, but could really use to lose another 80; I'd settle for 50. I know what to do, I just could use some encouragement. Very down, I eat stuff I shouldn't, and I graze all the time. Any one have a similar experience?
    Hi. Sorry to hear about your tough journey. I know some with similar ' falling off the wagon' stories have told of their success after starting again. Basically they take themselves right back to phase one post op to restart everything. They might be able to tell you some more. Good luck. Your first step is already in place now that you've asked for support. :-D
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    First of all I am so sorry you had such a rough go of things-that must have been incredibly difficult. Do you have a support group through your surgeon's practice or in town at all? Or possibly a therapist you can work with. I can imagine you have been through quite a bit of trauma with all of this-being on TPN for three months is not something that happens in isolation, I can imagine the events that necessitated it. Some structured support would certainly be a step in the right direction.

It sounds like you are making a good go at it. Was all your weight loss while on tpn or did some take place after you were allowed to start eating again? Perhaps going back to basic postop diet guidelines would not be a bad idea. Regardless--one bite at a time, one meal at a time, one day at a time...make your decisions here and now good decisions for today and for your future.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am only 6 months out, so IDK if I can be much help..... here is what I know... I went through a lot to have this surgery. I spent hours and hours doing research, attending nutrition counseling, even went to therapy. Why did I do all of that if I was just going to sabotage myself? For me, I have to ask "What am I committed to?". If I am committed to this process and to losing weight, it will be reflected in my eats and exercise. If I am not committed, it will show. I am not meaning to sound harsh or judgmental-- I am aware of how easy it is to commit to eating the right things and by lunch to have already derailed-- trust me-- I have done that loads of times pre-surgery. It sounds simple and it is, but that does not mean it is easy. I wish you the very best. :flowerforyou:
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am just over two months out so am still new to this. I do occasionally have "head hunger." If I start wanting to graze between meals I will drink something. Doing this makes me fill full and I tell myself if I eat now I am going to get sick because my stomach will be too full. Also helps with my liquid intake.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are medicating with food. As obese people when we are bored,sad,tired,happy,angry,grieving,broke,hired,fired,excited we eat. It is our default activity. In order to cure this there are 2 rules. #1- you must love yourself 100% exactly as you are right now as a fat person. Or you will never have the strength to follow rule #2. Which is be bored,happy,sad,angry,tired,broke,fired,celebrating or grieving. Just be. Feel the emotions. Don't run to food pleasure to suppress or improve your feelings. If you do, an amazing thing happens....they pass. You felt it, you dealt with it, you did not eat and you moved on. And you feel AMAZING!! When you quit medicating with food after a few months you won't even think about food until it is time for your next healthy meal. You will choose normal portions of healthy food because you love you not food. That said I still had to let go of my trigger foods when I quit medicating with food about a yr before my sleeve. I had to let go of wheat,rice,potato and processed corn. They are Kryptonite for me and send me right back to food prison where I am locked into carb obsession for a day after I eat them. Like an alcoholic it is best to leave them be. Your local support group is a tremendous resource. I attend mine every month and will forever. There is no cure for my food addiction, just healthy remission.
  • wendyp1000
    Options
    One of the first things I had to give up pre-op was my obsessions with carbs ... I am not a dessert person, but boy - give me a fully loaded LARGE baked potato, whew ... I'm drooling as I write this. You may be 'falling off the wagon' with late night carbs. I'm pretty sure that would derail you every time.

If you do snack, choose veggies and fat-free dip or salad dressing, sesame seeds, pork rinds, chicken or turkey jerky. They fill you up quicker and don't send you into a carb spiral ... I think that would help you a great deal ... Good luck ..

Someone else mentioned therapy too. You might want to go to someone and talk about why you keep sabotaging yourself ... I may have to do that myself soon.
    (VSG - July 9, 2014)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My surgeon's office has a "restart" program for those who have regained or, like you, just never really finished losing. Touch base with your doctor's office and see if they have that kind of a program. If not, ask for the information they give to newly sleeved patients and then follow the full liquids, pureed, soft and regular food program, basicly start at the beginning again. Work your way back up and then count your calories, protein, carbs, etc. every day.

I am 3 years out and I still weigh and measure everything I eat or make at home. It's the only way to keep myself and track and keep losing, because I'm not to goal yet either.
  • dawnielou2u
    dawnielou2u Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A year and 4 months out..stalled 6 months ago...but also when sugar and carbs crept back in. Trying to get it under control It is tough......But I believe it is the answer.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had my VGS done in November 2011. I hit my lowest weight of 178 in January 2013. I stayed there a few months and then slowly started putting weight back on. Right now I am about 18 pounds heavier than I was at my lowest. I have been as high as 23 pounds up. I do really well for awhile watching everything I eat and exercising like I should and will get back to about 190 but then I "fall off the wagon" again. I need to get back on the wagon and stay on the wagon and finish my journey. I would like to weigh 160 pounds. So I still need to lose appx 36 pounds. Maybe more depending on how I look and feel when I get there. I got way too comfortable in the 180s and 190s and have stayed here for well over a year now.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Welcome dawnielou2u to the group. This is a great place to be. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Welcome Char408 to the group too. Great to have you here. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm only two weeks out so I really do t have any advice but there is some really good suggestions up a above. Definitely give your doctors office a call to see if they have any support groups. My doctor has a monthly meeting that is run by the dietician so there is always great advice and information for people going through the same thing.