How often do you lose?

Options
kiknitwite
kiknitwite Posts: 36 Member
Hi! . I'm new to Keto and I started back on June 30th. It's been about 3 weeks, and I've only lost about 5 pounds. I had me TOM last week but I thought that I would drop significantly this week and nothing. Any Advice? How often should I be dropping? Does it take a while? I heard you drop quick and then stable then drop again and it continues like this. I'm worried and I feel like my time is ticking and I'm doing this but I need loss. I want to give it a good 30 days before I give up, but I REALLY like is but want to keep going. I drink ALOT of water so that's not the issue. I have ketostix and it says I'm in ketosis.

Replies

• BookishOwl
    BookishOwl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a preamble, i'm just a keto user, not a expert. Others may be able to give a better answer.

I see you drink a lot of water, that's great! It's usually what beginners forget to do. How much is "a lot"?

What do your Macro's look like? What is the % deficit you are running from your maintenance levels?
    If your not sure, use this tool: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Now, in general, after the first rush (following the usual Keto Flu - did you have it?) of the body switching fuel sources to fat people have whats called PISS. Post-Induction Stall Syndrome. Water and glycogen find a new balance and this causes a stall or even weight gain, which lasts for a week or two. Relax, PISS is both normal and temporary. It lasted a little over a week for me, I ended up not looking at the scales, and when I returned my body had kicked PISS by being down 10lbs. (but Im a big guy, so dont focus on the number)

I'm not sure if you read the r/Keto FAQ page, but in case you (or someone else who hasn't and is having this same issue) it usually looks like this:

Results vary, but you will typically go through three phases

- Honeymoon: Lots of weight comes off fast. This is water that was tied up with glycogen. Note: if you don’t experience rapid weight loss in this period, do not despair. Not everyone is so lucky, and men may be more likely to see rapid initial weight loss than women.

-Post-Induction Stall Syndrome (PISS): Water and glycogen find a new balance and this causes a stall or even weight gain, which lasts for a week or two. Relax, PISS is both normal and temporary.

-Fully keto-adapted: After 3-4 weeks the body is burning fat as its main fuel and the brain has switched to running on ketones. A bumpy downward trend in your weight will begin. The trend is "bumpy" because there will be days or weeks when your weight stalls, or even goes up slightly. This happens to everyone, on every kind of weight-loss diet. Please don’t post to /r/keto that you gained a pound or two, or plateaued for a week. The trend will be especially bumpy if you are female. In particular, shark week will play hell with your scale weight.
    source: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Now, I see a lot of people do different things to counteract a stall, some fast for a day or two (I know I wasn't hungry anyways during my last stall but i still increased fat intake % anyways - which worked) and others do a "Fat Bomb". Either of these usually help in trying and break plateaus. Just a general note: Fast =/= starvation, which is counteractive. here is a thread talking about fat bombs: http://www.reddit.com/r/xxketo/comments/183s9h/fat_fast_recipes_anyone/

Hope that helped somewhat. Looking forward to answers to the Macro questions, ect.
  • philipfoster76
    philipfoster76 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    BookishOwl made some excellent points, definitely respond with macros and read the r/Keto FAQ page.

I started with 44 pounds to lose just to get to a BMI that would qualify me as a normal weight.
    *I know BMI is a poor measure overall - but it should give some idea of how much I had to lose*

I ran through all 3 stages that BookishOwl posted:
    Honeymoon - lasted 2 to 3 weeks, I lost a little over 15 pounds.
    PISS - Stalled out for almost a full 4 weeks. Bouncing around within a 3 or 4 pound window that I just couldn't drop out of.
    Fully Adapted - I've been Keto for 6 months now. At first I was averaging roughly 2 pounds a week. Now I'm just under a pound a week.

A few extra things to keep in mind:
    I've found that rest is key for me as well. During the week I have work, and I work out regularly. With family obligations and everything else I only get 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night.
    On the weekends I take a full 2 days off if I can. No workouts and I sleep in, getting at least 8 hours.
    As a result (and this is directly to your question) I tend to stay at the same weight, or even gain a bit during the week. My body holding onto water and weight due to activity, muscle depletion/rebuilding, and general stress. Then on the weekend with the rest and decompression, I almost always drop whatever weight I added during the week as well as a bit extra.

When I do stall, and I've had a few of those during the 6 months. I first recheck all of my macros and get more strict with my carb counts and protein numbers. The one time that alone didn't work, I did IF for two days and sure enough...whoosh...I was dropping again.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • kiknitwite
    Options
    As a preamble, i'm just a keto user, not a expert. Others may be able to give a better answer.

I see you drink a lot of water, that's great! It's usually what beginners forget to do. How much is "a lot"?

What do your Macro's look like? What is the % deficit you are running from your maintenance levels?

Now, in general, after the first rush (following the usual Keto Flu - did you have it?) of the body switching fuel sources to fat people have whats called PISS. Post-Induction Stall Syndrome. Water and glycogen find a new balance and this causes a stall or even weight gain, which lasts for a week or two. Relax, PISS is both normal and temporary. It lasted a little over a week for me, I ended up not looking at the scales, and when I returned my body had kicked PISS by being down 10lbs. (but Im a big guy, so dont focus on the number)

I'm not sure if you read the r/Keto FAQ page, but in case you (or someone else who hasn't and is having this same issue) it usually looks like this:

- Honeymoon: Lots of weight comes off fast. This is water that was tied up with glycogen. Note: if you don’t experience rapid weight loss in this period, do not despair. Not everyone is so lucky, and men may be more likely to see rapid initial weight loss than women.

-Post-Induction Stall Syndrome (PISS): Water and glycogen find a new balance and this causes a stall or even weight gain, which lasts for a week or two. Relax, PISS is both normal and temporary.

-Fully keto-adapted: After 3-4 weeks the body is burning fat as its main fuel and the brain has switched to running on ketones. A bumpy downward trend in your weight will begin. The trend is "bumpy" because there will be days or weeks when your weight stalls, or even goes up slightly. This happens to everyone, on every kind of weight-loss diet. Please don’t post to /r/keto that you gained a pound or two, or plateaued for a week. The trend will be especially bumpy if you are female. In particular, shark week will play hell with your scale weight.

Now, I see a lot of people do different things to counteract a stall, some fast for a day or two (I know I wasn't hungry anyways during my last stall but i still increased fat intake % anyways - which worked) and others do a "Fat Bomb". Either of these usually help in trying and break plateaus. Just a general note: Fast =/= starvation, which is counteractive. here is a thread talking about fat bombs: http://www.reddit.com/r/xxketo/comments/183s9h/fat_fast_recipes_anyone/

Hope that helped somewhat. Looking forward to answers to the Macro questions, ect.

Hi There! And thanks for the response! OK so my Macros look like this: 70% fat (86g), 25% protein 69g), and 5% carbs (14g). I shoot for 1,000 to 1,100 calories per day and that gives me about a 1,152 calorie deficit. So shouldn't I be losing by DEFAULT?!
  • leilaaliel
    leilaaliel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That is a major calorie deficit... I'd suggest upping your calorie intake. What do you get for suggested calories when you enter your info into http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ ? I'm not an expert but it may be what is causing you to lose slowly. It may sound crazy, but try upping your calorie intake to the suggested amount while also keeping your same macros and see what happens. I eat around 1800-2000 cal and I am losing 1.5 to 2 lbs/week, and lost about 10 lbs the first week.
  • kiknitwite
    Options
    That is a major calorie deficit... I'd suggest upping your calorie intake. What do you get for suggested calories when you enter your info into http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ ? I'm not an expert but it may be what is causing you to lose slowly. It may sound crazy, but try upping your calorie intake to the suggested amount while also keeping your same macros and see what happens. I eat around 1800-2000 cal and I am losing 1.5 to 2 lbs/week, and lost about 10 lbs the first week.

Thanks! That's basically what everyone is telling me! UP MY CALORIES. So I redid my Macros and a 20% deficit is about 1500 calories so I;m shooting for 1550 and see how things go in 2 weeks or so. I just have to wrap my head around the whole EAT MORE WIGHT LESS concept. Thanks, I'm befriending you!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Just so you know I was majorly stalled for months about 2 months in. I lost a lot initially, almost 18lbs in 2 months and then nothing. at all for the next 2 months. It was so frustrating. I did start to lose again but its been very slow.
  • Splooiemello
    Splooiemello Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 40lbs in 3months and stalled for next 3, then it just started coming off again, I never changed my caloric intake or macros, and just decided to trust the system.

Measure, measure, measure! Just because the scale doesn't move doesn't mean your body isn't transforming. During that three month plateau, I ended up losing 4inches off my waist without the scale dropping a pound.
  • LoraKay131
    LoraKay131 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ^^^i need this reminder in a few weeks, when im discouraged and feeling like giving up and stuffing cake into my cake hole. :)
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    kiknitwite wrote: »

Hi There! And thanks for the response! OK so my Macros look like this: 70% fat (86g), 25% protein 69g), and 5% carbs (14g). I shoot for 1,000 to 1,100 calories per day and that gives me about a 1,152 calorie deficit. So shouldn't I be losing by DEFAULT?!

That is a huge deficit, esp. if you don't have that much to lose. I'm glad to see you upped it.