Types of exercises

Options
What are some good kettlebell exercises? By that, I mean, exercises that are better with kettlebells than with barbells and dumbells. I have a couple of kettlebells, a 25 and 40 but about all I do with them is snatches. I have a complete home gym with thousands of pounds of weights and stuff so I'm interested in just kettlebell exercises that are better than their corresponding barbell and dumbell exercises.

Thanks,
Ben

Replies

• spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    kettle bells tend toward more explosive power - as they are single arm exercises there is value in clean / jerks and snatch that compliment barbell training

turkish get up / maxwell get ups are a great change of pace

the weights you have tend more toward high volume sets for endurance training - I snatch a 45 for competition - so 100 + reps non stop
  • BenVoiles
    Options
    Are there really kettlebell competitions?
  • spicegeek
    Options
    Yup there really are - the US Nationals take place on Aug 23rd in NYC - the team that will represent the USA at the World Championships in Hamburg in Nov will be selected then.

Not sure where you live - competitions are HUGE in Russia and pretty popular in other eastern Europe countries. The US has pockets - it`s getting popular here on the east coast and Cali has several active events - mid west too. Not much in the south.

They are an endurance / strength competition - you have 10 mins to get max reps without stopping - guys work with 2 bells on all but snatch - women work with one bell - if you are working with a single bell you get one hand switch - you can not stop - put the bell down or let to hang - your only rest points are in the locked out position above your head and in the rack if you are doing long cycle ( clean and jerk ) - it is not an event for the weak willed !
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    They have them up in Canada too - a bunch of us travelled to Toronto to watch one a couple of years back. Tough stuff!!
  • spicegeek
    Options
    Ah yes of course KidP - they just had a big event in Niagara !

Here is the American Kettlebell Alliance page if you are interested Ben https://www.facebook.com/AKAsport