So discouraged

Options
hoyalawya2003
hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
I have talked this over with my (non-horsey) husband and a good friend of mine, and I am still feeling down about it. So I am throwing this out to all of you, since y'all have more experience than I do. Here goes:

I stopped riding for 7 years, then started back up last October with the objective of learning to jump. I had taken a few hunt seat lessons on and off, but almost all of my past experience was saddle seat, with a little western thrown in. I would say that I was an advanced rider in those disciplines. The positions for those two are almost the same; hunt seat never felt "natural" to me.

I started with no real goals other than learning to jump, although I have entertained the thought of showing again and I want to join a foxhunting club. I have improved tremendously in the last 9 months on my flat work (at least I think I have), but I still suck at jumping. I am constantly getting ahead of the horse, standing up too tall in the stirrups, then falling forward on to his neck (and almost falling off sometimes) after landing. I upped my lessons from once a week to twice a week at the beginning of summer, and last month I did a part lease so I could also do a practice ride once a week. I feel myself getting stronger, but now I am a little fearful of jumping and I am terrified of trying to trot without stirrups. Part of me wants to just keep at it, thinking it will eventually "click" and I will get it. The other part of me is thinking that maybe I am too old to learn a new style of riding and I should just go back to walking horses.

Really seeking honest opinions here--I have absolutely no idea how long it takes to learn to jump, and if I am hopeless I don't want to keep frustrating myself and spending tons of money if I am not going to get better. Is this something that will improve with continued gains in strength and balance? Or is it just something some people don't have the talent for?

Sorry this is so long: TL;DR: how long should it take someone with past riding experience to learn to jump?

Replies

• MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I think I can give a good answer - my experience - I jumped a lot as a kid - never could afford a fancy horse to ride but I managed and would say I was confident doing full courses and tough turns, etc. Took a break for a while, bought my own horse super green almost 8 years ago and couldnt afford lessons, so just kind of self taught. I definetly developed a fear of jumping because I was scared I wasn't going to look perfect / I was going to hurt her, etc. She now carries my fear with her all the time - I can jump her a little, but if anyone else tried to, its total melt down. My point being, I used to be super confident, now I am not. Not having confidence it a total, and complete deal breaker jumping, especially with a sensitive horse.

I took a lesson a friends "point and shoot" horse that I knew would jump anything with great rythym no matter how bad I leaned on his neck and pulled and stuffed the distance - that was a huge confidence boost because we did it, and I felt like, OK, me and my horse have issues, but, its not 100% me sucking.

My suggestions
    1. If you can take a lesson on a "packer" do it - even if it costs a little more. This way you can get the feel of what a good jump is supposed to be, and you dont have to worry about getting in the horses way. Its a confidence boost, and a learning experience. Plus it's amazing to sit on a horse that knows its job, and no matter how bad you screw up, they are going to take care of you.

2. The #1 thing jumping requires is confidence that you can do it. If you don't have that, you won't be able to do it. FEAR is our biggest obstacle. And FEAR isn't even a real "thing". It's 100%, I mean 100% in our own heads.

Just let #2 soak in for a while, because it really is the most important.

3. Balance. You NEED balance because every horse jumps differently. Some will float over, some will have so much bascule they hurl you over the saddle. Practice your two point every time you ride. Every. Time. Practice it at the walk, trot, and canter. Practice turning, practice circling, practice latteral movements. George Morris makes a good point about how you should be able to make your horse move exactly the same way you do sitting, as you do in a light seat.

4. Poles. Being able to find a distance is hard - and if you cant do it - you have a huge obstacle in front of you because you are going to be constantly worried you are going to screw up. Unfortunetly, people like us arent born with this amazing natural talent (Im positive some people just are) - so - we need to practice. Set a course of poles and count in between them. Ride by jumps like you are going to jump them in your head - and count backwards to see your distance. Count everything, count everywhere when you are riding. Work on adjusting your horses canter stride - see if you can get 5 in that line of poles, now 6, now 4.

5. Drop your stirrups. Just saying. If you cant trot without them and stay on, do you really want to throw yourself over a solid object? You can do it - its just like an exersice at the gym. Start at the walk, stretch, just get a feel for the horses moevements, then try some half seat at the walk. Move your arms arund, scratch his ears, scratch his butt, just get used to the moevement. When you are ok with that move up to the trot - have someone put you on the lungeline and hold the saddle if you are more comfortable. I think you will find its not as scary as it seams.

6. Stop doing the horses job. Really, the #1 hardest thing for me to do as a rider is - NOTHING AT ALL. Seriously, try to ride a line and do nothing. Its hard, really hard. We are always moving, pulling, adjusting, fidgiting, thinking too much. Ride a line of poles and just do nothing. Let the horse put his feel where he knows his feet should go. Now, make them cross rails. Do the same thing and ride in a light forward seat. Dont move your seat - we all do this and it throws the horse off balance - unless you are jumping 4 foot fences here, you should allow the horse to come up to you over the jump - basically ride in a light seat for the entire line, and over the jump do a little release with your hands - since yu are already in a light seat, the horses neck will come UP to you - there is no reason for you to make any sort of a huge movement with your upper body - thus throwing both of you off balance. Get what Im saying? Stop trying to half seat. You dont need too. If you are in a light, forward seat, your body will simply fold over the way its supposed too.

7. Ride the landing. If the jump is scaring you ride the landing. As you are coming towards it, ride away from it in your head. Skip whats going to happen going towards it, and over it - generally the horse knows his job better than us and we just get in the way anyway - so as you approch the jump - visualize your landing - this is where you can help your horse anyway. Forget the fence - picture the landing - you are sinking into your heels, kicking forward at the knee if you think your leg is going to slide back, He is landing and you are applying leg to urge him to canter away nice and forward. You are lifting your hands and steading your body - you are riding STRAIGHT - with leg on - so that by the time you get to your corner you have a nice, engaged, forward canter, still in your light seat, and you are carrying your hands.

Hope this helps. Now only if I could heed my own advice.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    MissMissel has it right. Fear will stop us from everything we enjoy. I have a fear of heights. Climbing up on a horse terrifies me. Once I am up I am fine. I don't look down. I have been doing better now that I have lost weight and can climb up from the ground. I also stick to short horses and avoid mounting blocks if I can.

Sometimes you need a change. Is there another instructor you can go to? Someone that can focus on your equitation and help fix what is wrong?

Example, I took lessons from a gal at our barn. She was great with horses but did not have a strong equitation background. At the canter my right leg would swing and I could not keep it steady no matter what. She had no suggestions except making that stirrup shorter.

Talked to a friend that is a riding instructor (my daughter's instructor) she had me practice my 2 point. It strengthened my lower leg and my core. Fixed my problem.
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Good advice from above. Also with the fear on your stirrups. Really you don't need them. Your core is where your balance comes from. Just check out all the you tube videos of the big name jumpers doing that stuff bareback....and the crazy guy doing it naked.

No need to give up. Just do it at your pace.

Pip
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    OMG the naked guy is so crazy!!!! And I love how he like gallops out of the rind after haha!
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    There is no "due date" on how long it should take you to learn to jump, it takes as long as it takes. If you are enjoying it, its not a waste of time.

Like MissMissle said, 2 point, 2 point, 2 point. Something that we did when I was training was tons of lunging with no stirrups and no reins at the walk, trot (posting, sitting and 2 point) and canter (sitting and 2 point) as well as over small jumps (6-12 inches). It really helps with building strength and stability. It can be scary at first, but start small, try for just a few steps at the sitting trot the first time and then gradually work your way up to more time sitting and then posting and 2 point at the trot until eventually you can canter with no stirrups. If you are afraid to drop both stirrups at the same time, just drop one and then switch them.

Something else you might try because you are having trouble with getting too far forward. Have your instructor tie a ribbon (or a braid) in your horse's mane where your hands should end up while jumping (your nose should be over your hands, unless you are jumping big jumps) and make sure that your hands(and nose!) never go beyond that point .

A lot of fear stems from a lack of trust. Ask yourself, do you trust the instructor you are working with? Are they giving you tips on how to correct your position or just telling you afterwards that you did it wrong? Are you afraid of getting hurt, afraid of hurting the horse? Do you not trust yourself? Are you afraid to be embarrassed?
  • nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    Options
    I wouldn't let you jump if you cannot trot without stirrups :) We habitually do "No Stirrups November" every year - an entire month of no stirrups (dressage and jumping). In fact, we don't just drop the irons, we take them off the saddles totally so no cheating! You don't have to wait for November - dedicate a next week to no stirrups work. Don't cheat, even if you only manage to walk without losing balance.

I think that once you have better balance (from lots of work without stirrups and then more work in two-point) you will find your fear lessened.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for responding. I have read (and re-read) all of your advice, and thought about it a lot, and decided to try out some other instructors/barns. I was very happy with my advancement until the last month. I think I need a fresh start and a new direction. Some of my fear on the no-stirrups is because I fell off a few months ago when I had kicked my feet out of the stirrups at the end of my lesson. Horse spooked and I stupidly leaned over in trying to get them back, when I should've just stayed with him. Now that I know more about that horse, I think he dumped me on purpose, but that is a different story.

Some of it is not trusting the horse that I am currently riding in lessons. I really like and respect the instructor and she is great, but I don't get a lot of feedback from her on how to improve jumping position. I think a change will be good, even if it is only in my head, that might be enough to get me past it. I am going to try some of the other suggestions as well--the lunge line was suggested to me by the barn owner too, and I think it might help a lot. I will continue with doing two point and one stirrup; I just was getting frustrated and thinking it wasn't helping. I get impatient sometimes. :blushing:

Or maybe I should just picture the naked guy next time I get scared--it works for public speaking, right??
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You got this!

:smokin:
  • MynameisKimba
    Options
    Wow! you should write a book, that was so spot on. I'm sure it must have helped the OP, because it sure helped me and I just came into this conversation! lol Excellent advice, thank you for sharing! :)