Where you and your horses live.

Options
luckypony71
luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
I was driving to see my friend the personal trainer yesterday and I got to thinking about what a unique City I live in.

I am in Pinellas Park, FL. We are on the west coast about half way down the state. I am about 15 minutes west of the beach. We have a decent mall, lots of restaurants, a big movie theater and not building is taller than 3 stories. Our population is about 45,000. What makes our city so unique is that we have all that and horses too.

There are several small farms in our area that board horses. The largest property is about 12 acres. It holds 4 barns and about 60 horses. We have a few barns in the area that are about 2.5 acres and hold 24 horses. A little crowed there. Not a lot of turn out or even a riding ring.

There are also several farms like mine. Just and acre with 2 or 3 stalls in the back yard. I have a 3 stall barn and an awning for the smallest pony.

Because the city is home to more than 1000 horses, we also have a horse park that has 2 large riding rings, 2 round pens, lighted trails and the equipment and bleachers for local schooling shows. Our trails are not endless. You can do the whole lap in about an hour more or less.

I still love it here. My sister lives in a more rural area and has to drive 30 minutes to get to a grocery store. If my car were to break down I could easily walk to work or to the store.

So what's it like where you live? Are your horses close by? Just curious. No lurkers either. I think everyone should answer :laugh: .

Replies

• highflyer88
    highflyer88 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an awesome town to live in. Though seems a bit crowded at the farms(land vs horses) I guess maybe because where our horses are boarded we have a far smaller number of horses on almost that much land. But I live in Delaware, OH but my horses are in Marion. Neither town has farms in town but there is still farmland surrounding both towns(although slowly losing it to houses in Delaware) I would love to be out of town on my own farm however that will have to wait a little longer. you don't see many people with horses around but I know they are here, several of my friends have horses.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    That sounds amazing!! I've only been to Wellington once and there were horse trails everywhere, AND it seemed like EVERY house had a barn. Most of the kids down there get home schooled so they can compete all winter - crazy!!

I live in MA but keep my horse in RI because even with the commute, the board is cheaper! I moved from a 3 acre farm with about 20 horses for $1200 a month to a 70 acre farm with about 40 horses for $690 a month. My barn now has some trails Im just learning about - and they are building a cross country course. Though there are lots of fields, the horses only get about an hour of turnout a day since they all go out alone and they have to rotate all day long - it's the one huge downfall. There are two out door rings, a quarter mile track, and an indoor, which is detached and makes for chilly walks in our winters that often sit at 20 degrees for weeks straight - but at least we can still ride! The fields have lots of glass and hills, so even though they are only out for a short time, it beats the 13" x 13" mud / dirt paddock she was in for 7 hours a day at the other place...
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I live in Peachtree City, Georgia, which is a planned community with 75 miles of golf cart paths. Great for biking and walking, not so much for horses! Most houses have a separate golf cart garage and nearly everyone has a golf cart--they even have special parking places at target. I ride at a barn in Senoia (about 15 minutes away), which is where they shoot The Walking Dead (and some other movies and tv shows). Senoia is a really cute small town, and has lots of farms/barns surrounding it. There are several barns in my general area, so I will have lots of choices if/when I take the plunge and buy a horse. I am joining a foxhunt this year that is based out of Newnan, which is maybe 20 min or so away.

I would love living in Pinellas Park--it sounds awesome. No offense MissMissle and Highflyer, but I can't do winters up north. Someday I would like to have some property to keep a horse or two (broodmares most likely), but not sure if my husband will ever go for it.
  • luckypony71
    Options
    MissMissle your place sounds awesome, I would love a covered riding ring only because of the rain. I could not imagine riding in the snow.

Our horse to acre ratio is really crowded. it is however the "norm" here. We have to load up and drive 45 minutes to a little over an hour to get to some really big trails or places for a hunter's pace.

I have never been to Wellington but that is a unique horse community all of it's own. Did you know in Wellington they have discovered a way to convert manure into energy?

Keep it up, I love reading about where you guys live.

hoyalawya I agree, no snow!
  • MissMissle
    Options
    The indoor is key for New England riding! Even with plowing and dragging an outdoor everyday - the ground eventually freezes too solid to ride on :-( - By the time I get to the barn (actually when I go to work, and when I leave work...) it's already dark - so I depend on the indoor. However the doors stay open and it's not insulated - so it's still freezing, just no wind / weather. This last winter we had record cold temperatures. I probably missed a full 10 days of riding because of single digit temps. It get's too dangerous to ride - my mare actually developed a pretty severe lung infection that they were scared would turn into pnemonia - luckiy, with medicine and rest, she was fine, but I have a feeling it was from riding her a few days in the cold!

Much like in Florida we all keep our horses body clipped all winter long too and people from other states think we are crazy!! it just takes too long to cool them out in the winter if they are hairy after a lesson or something - so we all march our shaved horses down to the indoor with about 3 wool coolers on, warm them up, rip the blankets off and ride, don't take a walk break for fear of freezing to death, then throw the coolers back on as soon as we are done! My poor mare looked like the michelan man all winter - getting turned out in a liner, with two heavyweight blankets and a hood on top of that. It's tough - I think they dislike all the blankets as much as we dislike wearing so many layers - being in restrictive, heavy blankets for so many hours a day leads to stiffness, rub spots on some horses, and my mare always looses some of hr mane from the hood.

We actually had multiple days this winter that we couldn't even turn the horses out because the snow was SO deep and crispy on top their legs were actually getting cut up - or the hills were simply too icy for them to walk up to get to the paddocks - even with winter shoes - it gets prety hairy and the BO would rather not risk it. There were multiple days this winter I was pretty peeved they didn't get turned out, but at the same time I understand, i traded flat turnout in a box size of swamp land for rolling hills - and sometimes the weather just prevents them from getting out there - plus, they have to think of the employees safety too.

I loved Wellington. However, there was so much money there I couldnt even handle it - and I felt like my non tanned fat stuck out like a neacon amoung tanned, pretty much anorexic riders!!! No offence Wellington peeps!! Im sure not everyones like that - but at the show grounds, Im gonna say 90% at least were!!!

I can't imagine living someplace like virginia, or the carolinas - where theres some cooler weather but not really snow - it just seems like perfect riding weather!! Winters here do suck! Haha summers can too! it's been in the 90s with >90% humidity the last three days!
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    All the big city horse owners! I live in a very rural area in upstate NY (and love it). I keep my horse about 10 miles away and thankfully he gets to be out 24/7 unless the snow is coming down hard. He has no issues with being out even in our horrible sub zero temps this winter, but he is blanketed and doesn't get body clipped. There isn't an indoor where I boarded but when our snow is fluffy (and we get 12-14 feet a winter) it's great to ride in. Winter riding isn't as consistent as one would hope as a result, but it's not awful either (well except those single digit and sub zero days). The farm I am at is small, so there are 6 horses on 10 acres. I have to say that I appreciate that after being in Las Vegas and working as a vet where there are horses in lots of back yards who live in their stalls and have to be trailered anywhere to be ridden. I saw an average of 3 colics a day out there so horses having room to move and be horses is a must for me.
  • luckypony71
    Options
    My coworker visits family in up state NY every year. I have seen pictures. Very beautiful there. Lots of horses too! :happy:

Now I know why they sell so many different types of blankets. I only blanket Chico. He only gets a blanket if it drops below 40. He has no hair and is thin skinned. No need to body clip him. He does not grow a winter coat. Scout, Zena and Minny Moo are all fuzzy and I allow them to keep their coats so I don't have to blanket. If it is cold I just feed extra hay.

I always wondered where I would move to if I could. I want to live somewhere that is horse friendly, 70 - 80s in the day time and 30 - 40s at night. Maybe a little snow flurry once in a while, but I also need sunshine and salt water. Hubby is a fisherman. I wouldn't ask him to give up his lifestyle any more than he would ask me to give up mine. So we stay in Pinellas Park, FL.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Hey, epiphany, my husband is from upstate (north of Albany). It is very beautiful there, but he moved here to escape the cold.

I am really hoping that I like the hunt (and they like me enough to ask me to join)--I hear their place is beautiful, board isn't too awful expensive, and it would be so fantastic to ride out on the trails anytime I wanted. Super excited about it, and hoping my husband doesn't stroke when he hears how much it costs to join. (Although I have promised him he can join a country club next year to play golf, so that'll be a pretty even trade!)
  • luckypony71
    Options
    Sounds like a fair trade to me. Plus he can play golf while you are out riding.
  • Aprilsdanes
    Aprilsdanes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My horses and I live in central CA about 45 minutes south of Yosemite. And wouldn't you know it? I still haven't ridden there yet. :grumble:

I am fortunate enough to not have to board my guys and can walk out the door and visit them whenever I like. I would go crazy if I couldn't!

In the summer time most of the young ones go to work with my fiance in the Stanislaus National Forest. He packs mules for the forest service to re-supply wilderness rangers and conservation crews. But the oldies, and my perch x, stay home. :bigsmile:
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow Aprilsdanes! I now have a new goal to ride Yosemite!

Sounds way cool. Although I like boarding my horse. Someone else has to wake up and feed him 7 days a week. I am lazy and I like to have at least 1 day I don't have to set an alarm clock.

Pip
  • MissMissle
    Options
    +1 for the riding in Yosemite! How cool does that sound?? You will get out there eventually!

@lucky had to laught at the comment about so many blanket types - its totally true and that made me laugh because Ive had people be like holy crap you put ALL that on your horse!!

its a fashion show...it really is... she has more coats than I do.... and she just gets them all covered in poop.
  • luckypony71
    Options
    So many cool places to ride. I never thought of Yosemite. I will add that to my bucket list. 2017 we are heading to Vegas and I want to ride in the grand canyon.

Good thing you don't cover your coats in poop MissMissle. What would people think :laugh:
  • MynameisKimba
    Options
    We just moved to Sechelt, BC. It's a coastal type town, where boats way outnumber horses. There aren't any hay fields, either. All the hay has to be brought over by ferry! Very different than where I lived before, in farm country. I'm currently boarding at a private home where she has a small barn and a laid back atmosphere. We have been here less than a week, but I like it so far. :)
  • luckypony71
    Options
    Mynameisxena - did you have to bring the horses over by ferry too?
  • MynameisKimba
    Options
    Yes, we have to bring everything over by ferry. I was really nervous, since before her big trip Luna had only been in a trailer once, for fifteen minutes tops. That was when she was 18 months old, and she was going from where she had been born to where I was boarding her. Fast forward to now, when she's four and wasn't even 'trailer broke'. I was so worried she wouldn't load! Turns out she loaded like a pro and the hauler said she was cool as a cucumber all the way there. They had an overnight stay, and the next morning Luna just hopped back ont he trailer and continued the trip (including the ferry ride). Then she unloaded calmly and impressed the heck out of everybody (including me! I couldn't believe it! lol). Now she's settled, and I"m just waiting on my car getting hauled down here so I can visit her daily again. I miss seeing her every day. Who would have thought that hauling a car would take longer than hauling a horse? lol :) Oh, and you can just call me Xena. :)
  • luckypony71
    Options
    Hopefully your car will get there soon. It's funny how horses don't always act the way we expect them too. I would of been a nervous wreck too.