Not losing weight

Options
Good Morning all. I have been following the paleo principals for a little over 3 weeks now and have not lost any weight! I feel really good, my moods and energy levels stable throughout the day. I feel awesome!But no great weight loss... Maybe I am eating to many cals, not enough...I am 5"5, weigh 170( at the moment not doing any hard core exercise). Can anyone help! should I be weighing my portions and counting again? As I have had some success doing this in the past. What would be a healthy calorie range? I was doing the 1200 cals a day thing in the past and was always tired and hungry, which would almost always lead to a binge-fest! Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It's more about the food, than the calories. I do not recommend going back to calorie obsession. What are your macros like? What do you do for activity?

Your diary is closed so it's hard to comment on your food choice or macros or calories. It's the FOOD, and then it's the activity.

It's completely normal for me (5'6, currently 171) not to lose weight for long periods of time. I've been Primal/Paleo for two years now. I made the mistake for a year and a half of restricting calories too much and losing lean body mass and slowing metabolism. Bad idea, I don't recommend going down that road.

I don't know what you consider "hard core exercise" but you do need something for building/maintaining strength and then frequent movement in general. Personally, I relate to a Primal attitude about fitness. I have my own shortcomings in the area of fitness.

PS. In your profile you mention "skinny jeans". I recommend changing your vocabulary to eliminate words like "skinny" etc. Change your goals to "healthy". (Size 12 jeans actually look pretty terrific.) Healthy is more important that "skinny" and for most women "skinny" isn't healthy.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Agreed with Akima and may I add that you shouldn't let the scale rule your life. I think you should let the tape measure or your clothes be your guide... are your clothes fitting better? If so, great! Your body composition can change even if the scale doesn't reflect that. Keep in mind that going Paleo/Primal is about the food and lifestyle, not just a short-term diet aimed at losing weight.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Agreed with Akima and may I add that you shouldn't let the scale rule your life. I think you should let the tape measure or your clothes be your guide... are your clothes fitting better? If so, great! Your body composition can change even if the scale doesn't reflect that. Keep in mind that going Paleo/Primal is about the food and lifestyle, not just a short-term diet aimed at losing weight.

Perfectly stated.
  • iamdanielstrong
    iamdanielstrong Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you, and you are totally right about my "skinny" vocabulary. Healthy is where i want to be at. I thought my diary was open? I will check why it is not displaying. I appreciate the feed back. And at the moment my daughter is home for the summer, so i have not had the time to exercise as i usually do., but I have been running 2 or 3 times a week and doing some strength training at home. I changed my diary settings, thanks again for taking the time to respond.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Play with your daughter, the same way she plays. I guarantee that after about 10 minutes of doing what she does, you'll be in a heap on the ground.
  • iamdanielstrong
    iamdanielstrong Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    lol! you are totally right!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I'm a single mom and I can not blame my child for my lack of exercise. I can exercise with her -play, jump, run, walk, hike, wrestle, tickle, chase, etc to infinity. I also have dogs that beg me to go for walks, hikes, atv rides, wrestle, tickle, chase, jump, etc. Even in the house I can do bodyweight exercises (let your children join in), jump, play, tickle, wrestle, or even ride the dreaded stationary bike. Activity is something that can and should happen with children. No need to exclude them. Or, even if you want to go it alone, they can still be present and learn to stay out of your way, or do their own routine, also out of your way. :flowerforyou:
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling better than focus on that for now. I know someone that just ate real food for a long time. She felt so much better so she just kept at it. After a YEAR of being paleo with no changes in the scale or body composition she finally started to lose inches and drop her clothing sizes. It took a full year for her body to heal enough to start to lose fat and build more muscle. She kept at it because she felt better, but was discouraged for a while. Once she started to lose weight/BF she mentioned that she didn't think she needed that much healing, but her body didn't agree I guess.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Some folks find that they're eating foods like nuts and cheese (if you're primal) a little too much. Because they can have hormonal effects, those can stall weight loss. I took a look at your diary--that might be something to consider. But if you feel strong, healthy and able to exercise, that's the most important thing. It can take your body some time to adjust!