Recommended Reading

Options

Replies

• RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I can use all the resources I can get!

I have found that paleo seems to be the best diet for my stomach issues (UC).
    Not full paleo by any means, but it's my goal. The more paleo I eat, the better I feel.

I'm not sure of all of the restrictions though, only the major ones like no processed foods, skip the gluten, eat lots of veg, lean meat, and nutrient-dense foods.

Not everyone seems to agree on exact paleo "rules" though. When I google "are tomatoes paleo?" for example. Are we doing nightshades or not?
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. :drinker:

Thank you!!!:happy:
  • JTEFitness
    Options
    I've recently read, 'The Paleo Diet for Athletes' which is a supplement to The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain and I must say it is a great read. At first I was very skeptical about the Paleolithic diet as it did not include any foods with heavy carbohydrates which in my eyes as a certified Personal Trainer to be, is something that is required for optimal performance and recovery. My roommate was on the strict Paleo diet and as highlighted in the book he was very tired and lackadaisical. Workouts were difficult and recovery was long. Now these were short, lifting or running workouts he was doing. On the other hand I run distance and focus on HIIT in the gym. I am an obstacle Course Racer with events up to 13 miles and for me to even conceive doing those with low carb foods seemed impossible. So I remained skeptical until I finally decided to pick a book and research in order to pursue knowledge as a Personal Trainer.

When I picked up 'The Paleo Diet for Athletes' I began reading almost instantly found that I agreed with everything the introduction had to say. This Paleo Diet is MADE for endurance athletes who know they NEED carbohydrates to perform adequately during events. So as I continued reading I started taking notes and trying different tips and found that these worked like a dream. Granted I've only been at this for a couple weeks, I have noted a better mood, better performance and quicker recovery vs my typical carb heavy diet.

So to keep this post short, all in all I believe this is a great book for those who are endurance athletes or those who are heavily active. Carbs are required for optimal performance but only at certain times. So for more information I highly recommend checking out this book.
  • MzCat
    MzCat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love love love Practical Paleo!

Also been listening to podcasts with Dr. William Davis. He's amazing! I haven't read his books yet tho.

quote]
    Must add Practical Paleo to this as well! Great book without all of the science-y stuff. :wink:
    [/quote]
  • d1h2d3
    d1h2d3 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for posting the reference information. Much appreciated. This Paleo system for making nutritional choices seems to “fit” with what I naturally want to eat if I am given my choice.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Just released December 31, 2013: "Your Personal Paleo Code" by Chris Kresser. The best Paleo lifestyle book so far imo.

I want to pull my glowing review of Chris Kresser's book. The book is useful but his website contradicts it and promotes much of the old BS (minimize fat due to the higher calories than the other macros, eat higher volume of low calorie foods, avoid herbs etc because food that is flavourful will lead to over-eating, avoid ketosis, and other stupid stuff that have proven to be a FAIL for most of us here!). Also, much of the information he provides must now be purchased. I no longer recommend Chris Kresser as a resource, especially for metabolic disorder. He seems to be modifying his previously strong Paleo stance to appeal more to mainstream dieters. While he might be financially motivated or perhaps looking to influence greater numbers of people, misinformation is still misinformation. I'm very disappointed in Chris Kresser. :sad:
  • jenny373
    jenny373 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read The Paleo Manifesto by John Durant? It caught my eye at the bookstore today but I wasn't sure because I hadn't heard anyone mention him.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read The Paleo Manifesto by John Durant? It caught my eye at the bookstore today but I wasn't sure because I hadn't heard anyone mention him.

A few of my friends have and they said it was great. It's next on my list. Glowing reviews too... except for the usual "food doesn't matter" crowd. :laugh:
  • jenny373
    jenny373 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I started it last night. Only got a chapter in before I was too sleepy but so far, so good. :)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Steak by Mark Schatzker.

Great book about steak in Texas, Japan, Argentina, France, Scotland (and more). Fun and informative.

And a Canadian writer! +1.
  • cjdixon39
    cjdixon39 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So glad found this group! I have been digesting large quantities of marksdailyapple trying to learn what Paleo/Primal is all about. The list you provided, and the ones added in response, will help me out tremendously. Thanks!
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I did not see this posted yet and it is relatively new, The Calorie Myth, by Jonathan Bailor. a different take on things to be sure but it is about whole real food
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this link:

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-complete-illustrated-one-page-bulletproof-diet/

I find it interesting xylitol is on the eat end. I do not know much about it, any thoughts?

A quick search pulls up this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

According to it, it's a sugar alcohol that naturally occurs in many fruits, though the commercial variety is often extracted from hardwoods or corncobs. It has calories, though fewer than regular sugar, and doesn't have much effect on blood sugar levels. It seems it also has dental benefits and some anti-microbial properties.

Also, here's Mark's take - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sugar-alcohols/

CAUTION!

Our vet says even a tiny amount of xylitol is fatal to dogs. So be careful if you have a treat-stealing dog. Keep products with xylitol well out of reach.

p.s. Add macadamia nuts, dark chocolate, grapes and raisins to the list of paleo treats that are highly toxic to dogs.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Adding this link that has been posted on board as it is excellent at dispelling a few myths:

http://paleomagazine.com/4-signs-you-do-not-understand-paleo-diet
  • GrokGranny
    GrokGranny Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have several Paleo books/cookbooks, but recently received both The Paleo Approach and The Paleo Approach cookbook. I have been literally blown away by the encyclopedia-feel of The Paleo Approach. It has answered any and all lingering questions re: digestion for me. IMHO a "must have" on every Primal/Paleo followers bookshelf! Haven't tried the cookbook yet, but it looks awesome!
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Glad it's only September so I can read as much as possible before heading into Holiday season and all those gatherings where I have to explain why I put butter in my coffee instead of some failed chemistry experiment called "low-fat non-dairy creamer."
  • luv2laff45
    luv2laff45 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    marksdailyapple.com
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a beautiful cookbook -- Mediterranean Paleo by Caitlin Weeks and Nabil Boumar Super yummy recipes and great photos
  • welderftw
    Options
    Thanks for wonderul and concise list of books. I have a read a few on the list and agree with this simple advice from another poster: f you can grow it, raise it, and eat it raw or cooked over a campfire, you can probably eat it. If it comes in a box and you can't pronounce any of the ingredients and/or the list is more than about 5 items long (or contains one of the "DO NOT EAT" ingredients), you probably shouldn't eat it, if you can avoid it. Thought this was excellent advice and is very helpful and simple. Thanks again.
  • tgym
    tgym Posts: 7
    Options
    Love finding this info and everyone's input. My first and only paleo book so far.
    Paleo Living for Dummies. I wonder how it rates on a great list of books on this thread.
    Any input appreciated.