Cinnamon capsules?

kikityme
kikityme Posts: 472 Member
Anyone had any success? I've been reading a bit, but there's some conflicting studies and the only ones I've found are pretty old.

A study published in the journal Diabetes Care in 2003 looked at 60 men and women with Type 2 diabetes who were taking diabetes medication (not insulin). The participants took either 1, 3, or 6 grams of cassia cinnamon or a placebo, in capsule form, for 40 days. After this time, blood glucose levels dropped between 18% and 29% in all three groups that received cinnamon. However, only the participants who had taken the smallest amount of cinnamon (1 gram) continued to have improved blood glucose levels 20 days after they stopped taking it, for reasons the researchers didn’t quite understand.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/12/3215.full

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Tried it for a month or so, didn't notice much difference in my daily readings at the time.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I've also tried it over the course of the last year (since my Dx last Apirl) and it's never done anything for me one way or another =/
    However, I do find that the more fat I lose, along with carb restriction, the easier it is to get good numbers.

I *have* heard of people having good luck with it though, why not try it & see if it does anything for you...can't hurt :drinker:
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,327 Member
    So far I have tried:
    cinnamon (modest effect at best, don't consume more than 3/4-1 tsp per day for safety and only Cassia was tested)
    R-Ala & Evening primrose- no noticeable effect
    Amla powder- no noticeable effect
    curcumin- no noticeable effect
    Eating low carb/high fat is what got me off the meds and my numbers normal though I am open to new things.
  • NutmegPudge
    NutmegPudge Posts: 5 Member
    My fasting glucose has gone from average of 116 to 106 since I've been using cinnamon supplements. I take about 2400 mg of ceylon cinnamon throughout the day.