Need help: dairy issue.

Options
TwizzleBit
TwizzleBit Posts: 23 Member
Okay...starting week three of keto. I'm coming to the conclusion that I have an intolerance for cheese/dairy products. I won't go into details, but a pattern is starting to form (so to speak). I need some ideas on how to replace the fat I was getting from the cheese/dairy with something else. I seem to handle cream cheese, feta, Parmesan, and mild cheeses in very small amounts. Anything more and its not a good time. I won't be able to stay with keto much longer if it continues, so only option is to cut the dairy and see how I feel. Ugh! :D

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can not handle dairy either. I tried it when I started keto almost 3 weeks ago and it's a no go. I was so bummed! Anyway, I had the same problem. Then I found bulletproof coffee! I have it for breakfast every morning. It's 8-10oz of coffee, blended with 2 tbsp. grass fed butter, and 2 tbsp. coconut oil. It doesn't sound great but tastes amazing!!! If you are not a coffee drinker, I suggest working in avocado as much as possible, that is very high in fat, it does have some protein and carbs that go with it but much more fat.

Also, try making fat bombs! It's as easy as taking whatever chocolate you can eat, melting it with coconut oil, adding sweetener if you need to ( I used bakers chocolate so I needed to do this) and pouring it into silicone molds to freeze if you have them. I do not so I lined an 8x8 glass pan with greased parchment paper and poured the mixture in there and stuck it in freezer for about 30 min or so, depending on how cold your freezer is. There are tons of recipes, this was the first one I saw that I had all the ingredients. You can make them as big or small as you need and they are a great way of getting all the fat we need on keto!

Hope this helps! Feel free to add me if you like!
  • TwizzleBit
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. :D

I still feel pretty gross from yesterday, but alas today is a new day.
    I'll definitely investigate fat bombs. I found a recipe for brownies that uses unsweetened coconut and a hell of a lot butter.
    I've added you as a friend too.

I'm not a coffee drinker...but I'm wondering if a coconut milk/soy milk hot chocolate with truvia would be tasty.....drop in some butter/coconut oil....*gears start to turn*

Thanks so much!
  • MaitaAtienzaDiaz
    MaitaAtienzaDiaz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to get a lot of fat from dairy but it could get expensive where i am from since we import a lot of that stuff. Now i use a lot of avocados and coconut oil.
  • TwizzleBit
    Options
    I'm sure avocados will be slightly cheaper than cheese. :)
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend bulletproof coffee as well!

Tip if you want to try: Don't mix in a small, personal blender haha. I guess I was having a brainfart that day and didn't realize hot liquids in a small blender (one similar to a Magic Bullet) would end disasterously! Since I had added grainfed butter and mct oil, I had oily liquid everywhere. I did it at work so I was thankful I had an extra shirt to change into.

So, my suggestion, is to get something like an Aerolatte that is meant to aerate coffee drinks, but works perfectly for mixing the butter and coconut oil or MCT oil since they melt with the heat of the coffee anyways.
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Butter or Ghee
    Coconut oil
    Olive Oil
    Low carb salad dressing
    Nuts
    Mayonnaise
    Bacon grease
  • TwizzleBit
    Options
    I've been mixing almond/soy/coconut milk with cocoa powder and sweetener in the blender cold and then heating it with some coconut milk. Tastes sort of like a bounty.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Dairy does not agree with me either. As others have said, I love avocado and get lots of fat from coconut oil as well as some virgin olive oil. I have also recently discovered coconut butter (yummy).

It is all an interesting learning experience. I only realised this morning that the carb counter on food page does not mean net carbs. I have been trying to keep my carbs under 20g on the fitness pal counter. Then i came across a post somewhere explaining that the carbs to count are net carbs not total carbs. Net carbs are the carbs in the food minus the fiber in the food. This was a happy revelation to me as means I can eat lots more veg than i thought. Happy days :)
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,314 Member
    Options
    Okay...starting week three of keto. I'm coming to the conclusion that I have an intolerance for cheese/dairy products. I won't go into details, but a pattern is starting to form (so to speak). I need some ideas on how to replace the fat I was getting from the cheese/dairy with something else. I seem to handle cream cheese, feta, Parmesan, and mild cheeses in very small amounts. Anything more and its not a good time. I won't be able to stay with keto much longer if it continues, so only option is to cut the dairy and see how I feel. Ugh! :D

Thanks in advance.

I am dairy sensitive from both lactose and proteins which spike my blood glucose and cause GI problems. I can eat butter, clarified butter fat (also Ghee version), cream cheese, hard real cheeses (not processed junk), heavy whipping cream and homemade yogurt called Creme Bulgare which is a French version made with 100% heavy cream not milk. Raw milk is better than commercial for all of the above (see www.eatwild.com). The reason that I can handle those is because they greatly limit the lactose and casein proteins which are most people's primary culprits and milk is full of them whereas the high fat items as listed above are not.

Fat alternatives: Nuts in this order: Macadamia, English Walnut, Almond are your three best choices. Limit Brazil nuts due to their high selenium content and radioactive nature (seriously). To do nuts correctly, soak them, drain, place in single layer on cookie sheet, put in oven at no higher than 140 degrees Fahrenheit or you will destroy nutrients. Dehydrate until completely dry then store in a glass jar indefinitely.

Here is one reference for times, etc... but generally you soak hard nuts like almonds at least 8 hours then softer ones like walnuts 4-6 hours. http://www.yogitrition.com/soaking-grains-beans-nuts-and-seeds-101/
    Web sites will vary on recommendations so look at more than one.
    If your oven doesn't have a dehydrate mode (mine is set for 140) you can often go into your owner's manual or contact the manufacturer to find out the steps to lower your oven's base temperature set point or you can purchase a food dehydrator for counter top use.

Other alternatives: bullet proof coffee- whiz black coffee with either coconut oil, butter (just heavy whipping cream taken too far) or heavy whipping cream. Delicious and energy providing.

Fat bombs: lots of recipes on the web and many are like treats
    Fat shots- melting coconut oil or some even slug down good olive oil. Avocado oil is practically tasteless.
    Oil on salads with vinegar- far healthier than any commercial dressing.

Getting fat is pretty easy in your diet so you have lots of options.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,314 Member
    Options
    Dairy does not agree with me either. As others have said, I love avocado and get lots of fat from coconut oil as well as some virgin olive oil. I have also recently discovered coconut butter (yummy).

It is all an interesting learning experience. I only realized this morning that the carb counter on food page does not mean net carbs. I have been trying to keep my carbs under 20g on the fitness pal counter. Then i came across a post somewhere explaining that the carbs to count are net carbs not total carbs. Net carbs are the carbs in the food minus the fiber in the food. This was a happy revelation to me as means I can eat lots more veg than i thought. Happy days :)

There is a MFP add on in the apps for calculating your net carbs in your daily totals also one for a pie chart showing your daily intake of fat, carb and protein.