Newly Diagnosed with Diabetes

Options
Sara45431
Sara45431 Posts: 25 Member
Hello everyone! I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I go to the doctor this week and will start Metformin. I have 150+ to lose and really need support and motivation. Please feel free to add me as I am looking for support here. Thanks!

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sara,

Being newly diagnosed can be overwhelming at first. The good news is that there are lots of people here that have found success in controlling their diabetes.

This is a good group, glad you're here.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club nobody wants to belong to!

When I was initial diagnosed I was frustrated, scared, confused, and overwhelmed. It is a lot to take in. But I have to tell you that since being diagnosed I have not been this healthy in 25 years! I have lost 50 lbs, gotten my eating habits in a healthy mode, started exercising and feel better than I have in years.

My suggestions:

- Ask your doctor for a good diabetic education class to attend. They will go over individualized diet and nutrition plan for YOU. Attending an education class (mine was five 2 hours sessions) was the single most important thing I did to manage this.
    - Read all that you can. There is a dark side to this in that you will find a lot of conflicting information; some of it actually misleading. So take it all in and find out what is good for you; with assistance from you DR and diet team.
    - In the beginning test your BG often. Before and after meals to learn what foods affect your BG. I did this for 3 months until I could predict exactly how all the foods I eat affect my BG.
    - Leverage MFP to log everything you eat. This site is a great tool.
    - Dont be intimidated by the food/diet/cooking. I was scared that I needed to learn to cook/shop all over again. Well; you do. But most people only rotate 4-5 meals. So learning to cook 4-5 nutrition ,meals is not as intimidating as you might think. There are tons of good recipes out there to choose from that are delicious.

You will have specific questions about specific foods and other things. Dont be shy about asking. We all went through this.
  • life_enthusiast
    life_enthusiast Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara,

It is a lot to take in and you're starting off on the right foot by using MFP to track your food. The best way to get your blood sugar under control is to know what you are eating. Tracking will help you understand. When I was diagnosed, I looked at testing as a way to discover what I can get away with (instead of what I have to give up). Knowledge is power and control with diabetes. Learn all you can about your intake vs. the numbers.

I definitely agree that a good Diabetes Management course is the best place to go for insight on what to eat and how to move forward.

The biggest thing I found to be helpful in the beginning was to focus on what you can do today...not what you've done in the past and what you have yet to accomplish. Make choices in the moment. Look at what you can choose to help yourself right now. The more you learn, the more options you'll have.

By all means, ask questions and use this group for support. I wish you all the best. You're already doing great!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    You've already received some great suggestions Sara. As you learn more about diabetes and start testing your blood sugar you'll discover where to make changes in your food choices and activity level. Working with a diabetes education team provides not only information, but also support and encouragement. Plus, you have everyone here to help you along the way! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Sara, I just got off of 12 years of metformin and it is wonderful! Grab yourself a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution; it is the first book that got me started. I list more on my profile that are good references.
  • quiltnutty
    quiltnutty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone's responses. There is great support and information on MFP. I especially found the book, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, helpful. You'll do great.
  • TelJanin
    TelJanin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara,
    I too have been recently diagnosed (about 4 weeks in now), and have buckets and buckets of weight to lose. You are not alone!
    - In the beginning test your BG often. Before and after meals to learn what foods affect your BG. I did this for 3 months until I could predict exactly how all the foods I eat affect my BG.

So, I have a question on this. I've seen advice like this on the forums and other places, but my Dr (whom I've seen twice on this issue now, and will see again next week) has said exactly nothing about self-testing of blood glucose. They wanted to see me again in 5-6 weeks (hence why I'm heading back in next week) with labs, to see how things are progressing, but exactly nothing on self-testing. I was also given a giant list of foods to completely avoid in the interim (basically, anything starchy, anything overly sugary including fruit).

So, I guess my question becomes... at what point does it become relevant to start testing blood glucose? Immediately after diagnosis? Once the Dr cares more about it?
  • cwrig
    Options
    So, I guess my question becomes... at what point does it become relevant to start testing blood glucose? Immediately after diagnosis? Once the Dr cares more about it?

I suggest starting right away. Some doctors seem to assume that all patience are non-compliant; meaning they just want a pill and list of things not to eat.

But; Diabetes is something that has to be managed by You every time you make a decision to excise or not; and every decision of what to eat is totally up to You.

As I see it; there are 2 ways to manage diabetes:
    1. Let the doctor tell you how you are doing based on a blood test every 3-6 months and have him increase or decrease your drugs accordingly.

2. Manage it yourself, with the Doctor's guidance. This way you test your blood every day (multiple times a day in the beginning as I described earlier) and learn what foods affect your BG. Any time your BG goes above 140, damage is being done to your organs.

Testing and having food discipline can be challenging. But I would rather keep my feet and my eyesight than be lax and be blind and walk on stubs. I know that image is harsh sounding, but it is a reality if we dont manage diabetes properly. The good news is it can be managed well; but it is ultimately up to you.

I would ask your doctor to recommend an diabetes education class as soon as possible. This will help a lot.
  • TelJanin
    TelJanin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As I see it; there are 2 ways to manage diabetes:
    1. Let the doctor tell you how you are doing based on a blood test every 3-6 months and have him increase or decrease your drugs accordingly.

2. Manage it yourself, with the Doctor's guidance. This way you test your blood every day (multiple times a day in the beginning as I described earlier) and learn what foods affect your BG. Any time your BG goes above 140, damage is being done to your organs.

Testing and having food discipline can be challenging. But I would rather keep my feet and my eyesight than be lax and be blind and walk on stubs. I know that image is harsh sounding, but it is a reality if we dont manage diabetes properly. The good news is it can be managed well; but it is ultimately up to you.

I would ask your doctor to recommend an diabetes education class as soon as possible. This will help a lot.

So the food discipline is actually pretty easy (or has been so far). I hate the rules that have been imposed upon me, but that's no reason not to follow them, so follow them I do. I've even become more active, at the 'prescription' of my dr: starting out, they wanted 'at least 30 minutes of walking in a day', which has become about a 2.2-2.5 mile walk, daily. I imagine that one goes up as well.

They did refer me to an education class, but they were full / backed up, so my classes don't start until the 20th (2 classes of 120-150 minutes).
  • cwrig
    Options
    Excellent. Sounds like you are doing great already.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara,
    I too have been recently diagnosed (about 4 weeks in now), and have buckets and buckets of weight to lose. You are not alone!

So, I have a question on this. I've seen advice like this on the forums and other places, but my Dr (whom I've seen twice on this issue now, and will see again next week) has said exactly nothing about self-testing of blood glucose. They wanted to see me again in 5-6 weeks (hence why I'm heading back in next week) with labs, to see how things are progressing, but exactly nothing on self-testing. I was also given a giant list of foods to completely avoid in the interim (basically, anything starchy, anything overly sugary including fruit).

Start testing right away!!!!!!