Full liquids/purees - how much per meal?

Options
ATXHeather
ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
I start my full liquid phase on Thursday, which means I can add yogurt, soups and pudding (according to Dr.'s nutritionist.) I stocked up yesterday on some Chobani 100 yogurt - no artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners - and lots of different kinds of soups for variety (but nothing too chunky.)

My main question is, how much do I eat? Right now, I am sipping all day long, between plain water, proteined up coffee, protein broth, protein shakes, etc. But I want to start transitioning to "meal times" with the soup and yogurt. I've read a half of a cup. Does that sound right to start with that amount for yogurt? How about for a pureeed soup? Will I get a full feeling or not because they are still considered liquids?

Also, how liquidy do these things need to be? Is greek yogurt on it's own okay or should I water that down?

Finally, since they are liquids, do I start the 30-30-30 water rule?

Thanks! Feeling nervous about starting the next stage and want to make sure I am doing everything I can to maximize my success.

Replies

• Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I remember that I found this stage a frustrating one. I was able to eat the Chobani yogurts, puddings and pureed soups without feeling any restriction. I kept thinking that surely my surgeon had not given me enough restriction and that I would be the one person that wouldn't lose weight after being sleeved. But when I got to the soft phase it was a whole different story. Then I really felt the restriction.

I think everyone is different as they go through the post-op phases. Some people have a difficult time even getting their fluids in due to the restriction they feel. I didn't. My surgeon told me that I could eat anywhere between 1/4-1/2 cup at a time at the full liquid phase. I could easily do 1/2 cup or more. I didn't start the 30-30 water rule until I moved to soft food.

It sounds like you're doing great!
  • Shannie312
    Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would usually do a half cup/4 oz at that stage. The Greek yogurt should be fine the way it is. I had to be on this stage for 8 weeks! I found that blenderizing things to the proper consistency using broths, low calorie juices was helpful. I did not have to follow the 30 minute rule until I moved onto soft foods but go according to your instructions from your doctor. You might experience some fullness but don't be too concerned if you don't, liquids behave a little different in your new stomach than more solid foods. I don't think it would hurt anything to transition to "meal times" if you would like. If I remember, it was encouraged at that stage. It looks like you are on the right track, 30 lb. down already, way to go!
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I'd be eating 1/4-1/2 cup in this phase. Like the others, I can eat a whole yogurt with no problem. Other foods it is a struggle to get down. Other than the yogurt, I start with 1/4 cup and eat that, take a little break to see how I feel. Sometimes I eat another 1/4 cup and other times I don't. Just go slowly so you do t over do it.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    1/4 - 1/2 cup is about right. I remember eating a whole yogurt was hard. Be careful with canned soups. I make my own because I can boost the protein and keep the sodium/fat to a minimum.

Good luck with your new stage. It's exciting!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I wasn't allowed yogurt or pudding or anything like that on full liquids. But when I was allowed them (for me, that was four weeks out at the puree stage) my surgeon's rules were to eat a maximum of 3 tablespoons of food per meal, 3 meals per day, no snacks other than protein shakes.
    I accidentally ate more than 3 tablespoons for one of my first meals (I was using the wrong size measuring spoon, for some reason I had a 1.5 T measuring spoon and used that without realizing) and I got so sick! Had a horrible case of the foamies and felt like I was going to die for about three hours. Didn't make that mistake again!
    Watch out for strange signals like a runny nose or sneezing. If you get that, it means you've eaten too much (the vagus nerve is irritated) and you should eat a little less the next time.
    Good luck!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    1/4 to 1/2 cup. Be careful to eat your meal in 30 min and quit. I caused myself a major stall as I grazed on yogurt all day long, of course going right over my calorie restriction. I was supposed to be at 650 a day and I was easily over 850. And let's be honest, those 3 wks after surgery we are not that active. It is good to calculate your base calorie burn at sedentary level because that is what you are at after surgery. Then, knowing that, you have to burn 3800 cals to lose a lb. so if your base calorie burn is 1450 and you eat 750 a day it will take you 5.4 days to lose 1 lb of fat. If I had realized this back then I wouldn't have been so cranky with every perceived stall.
  • ATXHeather
    Options
    I just had my first day of full liquids and I feel NO restriction at all. I easily ate a chobani yogurt this morning. I took my time between bites to monitor how I felt but it all went down just fine. Same thing with a pudding at lunch. I also just ate a cup of pureed cream of chicken soup made with mootopia milk (for protein.) 1 cup!! And it went down just fine. Although it was probably thinner than the protein shakes. I could have eaten more (I think because I exercised today and am wanting more calories.) I am also able to easily drink water - I don't feel like I have to sip anymore. It's only been a little over a week. I thought I would start feeling some restriction and start recognizing my "full cues" but everything went down really easily. I'm worried that I'm going to be the only person that this doesn't work for.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    I could get down huge amounts of liquids in the beginning which is why my surgeon gets us on solids so fast. He doesn't like liquid calories. He knows people figure out there is limited restriction with them and like to indulge in them.
  • ATXHeather
    Options
    The nutritionist said to call her next week and let her know how I'm doing on full liquids. If I'm doing well, she'll advance me to purees. Do you think I'll start feeling restriction then?
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    The guidance that I got was don't drink while eating pureed foods and 30 minutes before/after. You need to make it really soupy, thinning down even yogurt. Portion size is between 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I was only able to do about 1/4 cup of food. I am still between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup 2 months post-op, though I am eating solid foods now.

You will definitely fill up fast with purees, though you may be able to pound plain liquids now.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    Yes, no drinking with purées or regular food. You will wash food thru bypassing your restriction and full cues. This is difficult to do as emotionally we are usually not "done" eating after 10 bites. Be sure to measure out a half cup of purée and then slow down when it is half gone. Going 2 bites over is agony!
  • ATXHeather
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am still on full liquids but trying to follow the 30-30-30 rule and have mealtimes. I still don't feel restriction but it sounds like that will come with the pureee stage.
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am still on full liquids but trying to follow the 30-30-30 rule and have mealtimes. I still don't feel restriction but it sounds like that will come with the pureee stage.

I'm in the purée stage and still haven't felt the restriction. I've been trying not to get to that point and have really been watching what I'm eating and for how long.
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm having my surgery in about 1 month and I know that my first 8 weeks post op I will be on a pureed diet that is 1 oz of protein at each meal, 1 oz of fruit a day, 1 oz of veggies a day, and 1 oz of carbs a day totalling 2 oz at each meal.
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This isn't including the protein shakes, or fluids.