GPS with HRM watch

Options
goalie35
goalie35 Posts: 245 Member
Looking for recommendations for a GPS watch that also has a HRM. I currently use my smartphone along with a Polar FT4 but I worry that my phone would die with longer training. The battery can get pretty low when I use it for 1/2 marathons. I am currently using my phone for GPS and music player.

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    i have been using Garmin (various models) for years and have always been happy with them. They have models for every budget
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Garmin is the industry leader. Can't go wrong with them.

In depth product reviews can be found here:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure everyone here will tell you to get a Garmin.

They have models ranging from 100$ to 600$; you will have no trouble finding one doing what you need it to do :)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    There's a very recent conversation on this board about Garmins so you can find more detailed answers here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1335688-garmin-gps-input
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have the Forerunner 220 and love it. I had the Nike SportWatch before picking this one up. I'm really fond of knowing my run cadence for different paces, etc. without having to buy the shoe pod. I will warn that it is not very accurate on a treadmill, but that doesn't bother me. I despise the treadmill.

The battery life is decent (about 8/10 hours depending on your settings). When I am ready and able to run the longer Ultra events, I will replace this one with the Garmin Fenix 2 (or next version).

If you want HR data, I would highly recommend going with the Mio Link HR monitor. It syncs over both ANT/Bluetooth, it's accurate, and you don't have to wear a chest strap (so no extra chafing!).

HTH. Good luck!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    What phone and what apps are you using for music/tracking? I do the same thing you are currently doing, and over the course of a half marathon I would use 10-15% of my battery.
  • goalie35
    goalie35 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The running app that I use is Runkeeper. My phone is a Samsung Axiom. It might also do to the fact that some of the places I've ran does not have regular cell service.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's worth switching off the WiFi and phone modules if power is an issue for you.

I've found Runkeeper, Endomondo and Strava ok for power, Runtastic was lethal for the battery.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Garmin watches but less so their HRM's. I just can't to get them register accurately every time. I've invested in a Mio Link and found it fantastic teamed with my Garmin - no more spikes or drop outs, records heart rate changes when I'd expect to see them (hills etc).