Ho Ho NO or Ho Ho GO

Options
keng66
keng66 Posts: 10 Member
Just because I now have Christmas on the brain and with Christmas comes lots of food, yummy food, I figure we need to share our fav recipes. So is your recipe a HO HO GO a smart, healthy option for everyone or a HO HO NO?

This is my must make list and yes, it is a HO HO NO. I always make this recipe for Pot Lucks or package up is tins, or jars as a great gift. I received this recipe from a friend of a friend a few years back since then I have seen it with different names, but think that Crack fits, since you can’t stop at one piece.

Christmas Crack Recipe

1 cup butter (do not use margarine - this is not a healthy recipe)
1 cup packed brown sugar(can be dark or light)
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips(Dark & milk chips work)
1 1/2 sleeves Saltine crackers(try graham crackers for a different flavor)
1 cup of chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, or peanuts… or no nutless)
Preheat oven 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet (the pan/sheet should have a rim so that it can hold the goodness in) with aluminum foil. I also spray the foil with cooking spray, just to prevent any sticking. Next, line foil with rows of Saltine crackers.
Next, melt the butter and combine it with brown sugar in a small sauce pan. Bring to boil and boil for two minutes. This now caramel syrup will be very hot so be careful. Pour the caramel evenly over Saltines and bake for 10 minutes.
Immediately after removing from the oven, pour the chocolate chips over the crackers. Let stand for two minutes or until chips are soft. Spread the chocolate as evenly as possible over the crackers and then top with the nuts. Refrigerate until hard. Break into pieces.

Only 6391 calories in the whole recipe. Better break it up into small pieces

Replies

• terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Since there are 365 days in the year, Christmas is definitely, a Ho, Ho, No! I might take a little bigger salad or veggie serving, but I want all the No, No foods. I'm not posting any recipes, but ken66, I love Christmas Crack!!!
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    This year I am going to look into making some healthier recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Between Halloween candy, Thanksgiving, and 3 or 4 Christmas gatherings If I dont plan ahead I could be right back where I am today. Its not worth it. I will be posting some healthy recipe alternatives when I find (and tested) some out. I may have to make some of the Christmas Crack for Christmas at my in laws. They always give me a hard time about what I eat (or dont eat).
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have made this recipe with graham crackers and sliced almonds, but no chocolate chips. Parchment paper works well too.
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'll be checking in here over the next 20 weeks.... Great idea. I have a few HO HO NO recipes I may make, but I'm definitely always looking for any HO HO GO creations that will keep me interested. I'm not here because I don't like yummy food!!
  • Frayde
    Frayde Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Margarine is worse for you than butter. Use the butter!
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I can't cook for love or money, but have a rare recipe that I can make (and do for Christmas!) Probably faster just to link the recipe I use - comes out absolutely delicious, rich and salty and sweet

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1404/red-onion-marmalade
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! :bigsmile:

I will be checking back and hopefully adding to the recipes!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I don't think of food as good or bad. It is just food with macro nutrients.