Any 50+yrs ladies out there?

Options
jenamilligan
jenamilligan Posts: 2 Member
Hi, I'm not meaning to be agist or sexist but I'm really struggling with pre/post menopausal weight gain and it would be great to chat to others in the same position. Is there hope??

Replies

• tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile: i'm 53, i'm not sure if i'm going through menopause because i've had a Mirena Coil for 5 years. I've put on weight but I had a stroke 10 years ago so I wasn't mobile for a long time.

I've lost about 2 stone so far, got another stone or so to go, I don't really diet I just use MFP to track calories :smile:
  • Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 54 and started the menopause at 45 so have been on HRT ever since. I have noticed a weight gain along with the fact I gave up smoking in 2000. I have been a yo yo dieter but have recently discovered the 5:2 which is brilliant. It is a completely different eating regime and for the first time ever I am being successful at weight loss. Hope you manage to find a programme that suits you.
  • SamNicoll
    SamNicoll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm 53 and post-menopausal by at least a couple of years. Always had a tendency towards being overweight but gained a lot in my late 40's - partly menopause but also a lot of comfort eating to get through some stressful circumstances (not my brightest move). Have lost 47 lb since joining MFP 2 and a half years ago and have 10lb to go to get to my original goal weight.

Weight loss has not been linear and I've had a couple of lengthy periods where I've had to settle for maintaining whilst other health issues were dealt with (I've had major surgery twice in 18 months), I am really pleased that I did maintain my weight during these periods.

Have recently got back on the weightloss wagon (May 1st) and it's slow going with a loss of a couple of pounds/month, but I'm exercising quite a lot (for me) - a combination of strength training and cardio - and the inches are shifting. I'm also very short (5ft nothing) and taking medication that can lead to weight gain so I am delighted that I am slowly but steadily getting there!

Feel free to add me. I log daily.

Best of luck!

Sam
  • Voww
    Voww Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'll be 53 soon, no signs of menopause yet but guess will be 'in for it' sooner or later! Heaviest weight was in my early 20s when I did a lot of comfort eating and wine-guzzling, was about 10st 7lb which looked awful on my 4'11 frame, but somehow shifted the weight calorie counting.

Pounds crept back on over the years but a few years back I lost 28lb and currently weigh 7st 3lb. I don't eat meat or dairy, try to exercise a bit but don't do enough and still over-eat now and then, not bothered too much as long as I do something about gaining a couple of pounds sooner rather than leave it. So here to lose a little then maintain hopefully.

It helps me a lot to see everything on the food diary as well as other people's choices, exercise and advice. I log daily and leave my diary open, anyone feel free to add.
  • sabjam63
    sabjam63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and have put on 2 stone in a year, despite of being active and not eating badly. I'm still at the start of my weightloss program and must say it's a very slow journey compared to years before. We had a tragic bereavement and currently moving house, which in itself would have lost me weight in the past. Hormones must be playing a part, but I shall persevere and eat within my restrictions, keep cylying and working out. Hopefully i shall pick up some encouragement here as you are..xS
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The last time I managed to achieve any significant weight loss was 25 years ago, when i got married. I'm 53 now and peri-menopausal, yet more physically active than I've every been since a teenager.

I've been logging cals via MFP for nearly a year now. Yes, my weight loss may be considered slow by some (less than a pound a week, averaged out), but I am in a much better place now than I was a year ago, being over 3 stone lighter. I am only 5'3" so feel like a different person :smile:
  • karenc118
    karenc118 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    hi im 53, going through the night sweats, aches and pains at the moment, feel free to add me :)
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and although I have always seemed to want to lose half a stone I settled around 9st 10lb after having children. About 5 years ago my mum became seriously ill and died, during a period of 9 months I gained two stone through comfort eating, grabbing food when I could and eating high calorie food to encourage my mum to eat. At the same time I had my last period.

I have managed to shift a stone but have struggled to lose any more. I have calorie counted, joined WW and Slimming World. I struggle to exercise because of work and caring for my dad plus it doesn't help he only wants to go out if it involves eating.

If anyone wants to add me, please do.