Protein or Fat... which is your priority?

Options
meridianova
meridianova Posts: 438 Member
I've currently got my macros set at 50% protein, 40% fat, and 10% carbs because I want to make sure my body's getting enough protein to sustain (and build) lean body mass, but also enough fat to keep me burning. My problem is that while I can easily overshoot my fat intake, the protein is much harder to hit each day.

Which one do you have set as your priority, and how do you make sure you're getting enough of either?

Replies

• leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    FAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 70% Protien 20% Carbs 10% More protein than your body needs turns to sugar.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I try to eat more grams/calories of fat than I do protein, BUT I try to get 1 g of protein per pound of lean body weight (about 100g for me). It doesn't always work out, especially lately, but after I reach that goal, I definitely try to put those extra calories into fat.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    well i'm an idiot... i forgot that the calculation for dietary protein wasn't 1g/1lb of body weight. no wonder i was having problems.

i just shifted my macros accordingly. let's see if that makes any difference.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that makes it a lot easier :) I'd be hard pressed to eat 1g / lb of body weight, lol. That's a lot of chicken.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Fat, 1gm of protein per kg of body mass for fat burn or weight loss and 1 g of protein per LB of body mass if I want to bulk up.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that makes it a lot easier :) I'd be hard pressed to eat 1g / lb of body weight, lol. That's a lot of chicken.

Guys like Arnold Schwarzenegger eat 1g of protein / 1 lb of lbm. for us mere mortals, 1gm/ kg is more than enough. unless of course some one wants to bulk up.
  • MaitaAtienzaDiaz
    MaitaAtienzaDiaz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    More fat for me. I'm on a 60g protein limit and eat fat to satiety. This usually means 1,500 - 1,800 cals daily but I don't sweat it when I eat more.