Let's Get Personal.....Running Shorts/Underwear

Options

Replies

• SecretAgent27
    SecretAgent27 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I normally wear cotton boxers in my every day life . I think it would be weird to wear those under the liner briefs.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with anything, shorts have a liner, tights keep everything under control so no need.

That said, I only wear boxer briefs under my suits at work though.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Length of run is definitely in play here. For shorter runs I use the liner with my skirt/shorts. For anything over 20mi I generally wear compression shorts or capris. The seam in the crotch is no bueno. First I tried a thong- great for anything up to about a 50k but use the restroom and my panties literally get in a twist. So if you're going much further...can anyone say butt crack chafing? Ouch! Then there are my beloved "ultra undies" which I whip out (no pun intended) for anything 50+mi: the Lululemon light as air hipster. No seams except for a bonded seam (no stitching) that runs vertically just inside the hip bone. They are no show and prevent chafing even after multiple bathroom breaks with wet sweaty legs and nether areas.
  • Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    Liner is good enough in the summer.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    For long runs (10 miles and over), I use completely seamless running underwear (Champion brand) under everything because, as others have mentioned, the seams get uncomfortable.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    no underwear...just a lube that s@#t up and hit the road! :bigsmile:
  • KeithAngilly
    Options
    although, in winter, I wear a pair of wind proof underwear under my tights...so I don't get a junksicle. Personal enough for ya"?
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    junksicle. Personal enough for ya"?
    LOL!!!!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    although, in winter, I wear a pair of wind proof underwear under my tights...so I don't get a junksicle. Personal enough for ya"?

Junksicle!! :laugh: :laugh:

I do wear undies in winter.. Because, Canada here! I need to wear a merino wool base layer under my running tights, and at 100$ a pop I only have one pair of those... Ewwwww to wearing it 4-5 days in a row without underwear!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thongs or none. Depends on the seaming of the capris/shorts. If they have a gusset, I prefer none. It seems like the thongs just move the area of chafing around, but to a less sensitive area so I guess that's good. I just got some Moving Comfort undies, but haven't had a chance to try them out. They sound a little like the Lulu ones mentioned, which I will look at the next time I'm in that shop.

This gives me something new to ponder as I pass the male runners around here.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I gave up wearing underwear when running a long long long time ago.

My skirts have spankies under them and my compression carpis, I just don't bother. It's much better.
  • KeithAngilly
    Options
    junksicle. Personal enough for ya"?
    LOL!!!!

there is another one..it rhymes with "rocksicle" haha!
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I wear underwear, but I'm still kinda new so I guess I'm doing it wrong? LOL. To be fair, I don't wear running shorts due to being super self-conscious of my legs, I wear Nike running capris and they don't have a liner anyway. This is fascinating though, maybe I should give it a whirl??
  • ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I use the built-in liner with shorts, but wear underwear under tights in winter. I also wear spandex shorts from Running Funky (don't judge me lol), and wear underwear with those, since they have no liner.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    No, not at all. I use the liner in the shorts. Anything to keep cool in the summer. Rarely anything under the tights in the winter (though unless its less than 30°F, I'm usually running in shorts...with the liner).
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I don't wear underwear any other time, why would I put them on to run?
    I prefer to wear boxer briefs for my runs. Otherwise there is too much... movement... going on to be comfortable.

Must be nice.

Signed,
    Joe Average
    :laugh: It's a gift... and a curse.

I just have inexpensive Old Navy active shorts, and I wear boxer briefs under those. No compression shorts or anything like that. They have a liner, but one that is an inner layer to the shorts; nothing that fits like underwear or offers any level of control. There is also a seam on the inseam and there would be chaffing issues if I was going bareback underneath.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    After reading these responses, I'm going to be pondering this as well when I see others running :laugh: Something else to keep me entertained on those long runs.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    When I wore regular running shorts that had liners, I liked to wear underwear under mine, because I think it would be gross to wear the same shorts twice without washing them if you didn't have underwear on. I don't take a shower and then put my previously-worn underwear back on... it goes in the laundry! So I'm not doing it with running shorts either! And I am definitely not investing in 6+ pairs of running shorts!

However, I got tired of inner thigh ride-up with traditional shorts, so I wear compression shorts (with 5-7" inseams, yeeeeah buddy!) instead, so no liner. Panty lines don't bother me, I don't care if someone can tell that I'm wearing underwear, because hopefully they're looking at my kicka$s legs and staring at my butt anyway (oooor that I'm moving too fast for them to notice any panty lines).

(Edit for typos)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    After reading these responses, I'm going to be pondering this as well when I see others running :laugh: Something else to keep me entertained on those long runs.

It totally turned on my husband when he realized it.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am a new convert to going commando. Once I started running distances longer than 7 miles, I just couldn't do underwear anymore with chafing and rubbing in all sorts of wrong spots. I do own some seamless sports underwear as well, which are nice for my shorts or pants that do not have a liner, but if I can go without undies, I'm doing it. It's SO MUCH BETTER.