August Challenge Sat Aug 9th - Fri 15th

Options
howie6267
howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
Well I guess I forgot to start the new thread last night. So we will go Saturday to Friday from here on out. So here it is for a fresh start in on Saturday morning. Please continue to post today on the old one. However if you make a mistake and post here I will still log it. :-)

Replies

• carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    NOT a good weigh in today. :( I was expecting a big loss because I got back to an ULC week after a full week of "eating normally." I only lost 1 lb.
    I should be happy for a loss but there was a lot of sacrifice this week. I guess I should look at it in perspective: I am eating about 400 calories or more each day than I used to. And I'm learning to listen to my body. But this is how my experiment has gone:
    week 1 (super strict week of ULC with one CarbNite): lost 5 lbs
    week 2 (less strict week, more protein with one CarbNite): lost 4 more lbs
    week 3 (same as week before but adding more calories): no loss or gain
    week 4 (diet de-load week, had carbs every day and a few crazy days): gained back 6 lbs
    week 5 (this week, back to what I was doing in week 3): lost 1 lb

So yeah, I have a net loss of 4 lbs. I should be happy. But Im like most people and want immediate results!! Jef keeps telling me that this is a way to figure out how to bump up my calories, figure out my thresholds for carbs & protein, and learn to listen to my body so I don't have to track. I must repeat this to myself daily!!

I KNOW that I need to start working out again. I did a show with Rachel Guy this week that I'm about to go edit and post. (SORRY for the foul language here and there btw, taking me a while to silence out some swear words) But it was a great show and I'm committed to getting back to strength training. Wish me luck!

You guys have a great week!! I am not in the running to win this challenge anymore but I log in as often as possible and scan through the posts. Love all the positive energy! And I am happy to have a place to share as well!!
  • markd_cronenwett
    markd_cronenwett Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Checking in early this morning before I get all ready with the boys to head off to the pistol match.

Carol, it is part of the experience :D It took me a while, and my rates overall are still slow, but I am losing. I hold my carb intake to 40 or less for weeks before I even think about a free meal. As soon as I go above 40 for a meal, or several days, it can take weeks for my body to start losing again. So yes, it is a learning experience, and a dang hard one too.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday Folks! Very interesting result on the Glucose so far from yesterdays treat day. Will post more about it in the future. But for now finding that MY glucose levels may not be falling in the range of what I can find as normal. That being said they don't seem to be consistently or so far out of whack as to indicate a metabolic break down either. Like I said very interesting.
    Being on old Army Master Fitness Trainer, and having helped a lot of troops keep themselves within Army Weight control Guidelines, I have long recognized that food is a tool, along with exercise, hydration, and sleep. The info we had in the 80's and the military mission necessitated training and diet methodologies I would not use today. But I have to say 17 years of doing that, really removed emotional attachment to most of the things other folks seem to get wound up about, *numbers on the scale, fitbit steps, etc) but this month marks the one year anniversary of a metabolic breakthrough for me, During my first whole 30 challenge, One year ago today I woke up and I wasn't hungry. BOOM, I had been hungry every minute of every day since I was a child. I was 58 years 7 months and 16 days old when I realized for the first time that I now had complete control of my metabolism and my intake. I COULD CONTROL MY HUNGER! FREEEEEDOM! I am not ashamed to say I cried. at the moment and still get a bit verclempt at the thought.
    Since then I have been able to realign my goals, and not focus on intake or output calorie counting, but still use MFP and FITBIT as analytical tools. I weigh in my mind every meal and or snack as metabolic necessity or psychological benefit (think treat) and make a decision based on my whole person and not on a habit or automated response. This has been the most significant milestone on my journey back to good health that started 1 Jan 2011, when I weighed 357 lbs, and was too broken to put socks on my own two feet.
    So the question of the day or week is What tools do you use? What has been a breakout moment for you?
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yeah this last week was bad.... way to many cheat meals partially just because of how hectic the week was, plus a couple of big meals because it was our anniversary. Already on track to do better this next week, here's hoping the scale reflects it by the end of the week.
  • howie6267
    Options
    I will read all the post later just wanted to check in before I forget. Busy day today! Have a great one everybody.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Just submitting my Saturday check-in.
  • howie6267
    Options
    I did not have a break through like you did hmrjmr1, however when I got to the point I could no longer reach all the spots I needed to to be clean and couldn't hardly walk to the bathroom at work without being totally winded, that kind of set things in motion to lose.
  • MarkMcElvy
    MarkMcElvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday afternoon. Got to sleep late for a change, 0830...:happy: Sent a bunch of rabbits to freezer camp, yum.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    For tools I use MFP and HRM . My breakthrough moments are when my body fat percentage dropped and I burn less calories doing the same amount of exercise. I know I'm on the right track even though my scale barely budge. My goal is to lower my body fat % , improve my endurance and strength. The weight loss will fall in place. I'm not even unhappy with the way I look now. I just want to be more fit.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Carol you should be happy with your net loss. You don't have a lot to lose so 4lb is awesome! And you are well on your way to not having to count calories.
    Maybe you are losing body fat. Have you ever thought of measuring your body fat? I don't know how much is it where you live but here in the San Francisco bay area hydrostatic measurements are $40 or get one of those BIA Scale they are not 100% accurate by at least it gives you something to track.
    I hope you are happy and proud of your weight loss and hopefully your new attitude towards eating by listening to your body... Because I am happy and proud for you:flowerforyou:
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Saturday. Great Taste of the Midwest. So not my typical day. Lots of beer. Lots of bacon on a stick.
  • GoodDaytoYou
    GoodDaytoYou Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Having a pretty lazy Saturday. Hopefully better tomorrow.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    howie6267 Understand about the hygiene part that is another whole story that really kicked the need to change in to gear.

heronh I use an HRM as well, I like the Mapmyfitness app as well.

Carol Net of 4lbs is a good loss Say it with your chin up and loud and proud. I also concur that you are at the point where body comp may be the more useful tool for you. The old Fat2fit site has some BF calculators that are reasonably accurate, Covert-bailey seems to be the best of them.

Keep up the good work folks, we are going to the top of the good health hill. We will meet every challenge on the trail and we will succeed.

Hammer Jammer 1 out.
  • Staaz
    Staaz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Almost missed today. Did a push workout earlier. I feel like I might need a deload week soon. I will have to see how the next few workouts go.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Sunday Folks! Today is Dead lift Day. We B Jammin!
  • markd_cronenwett
    markd_cronenwett Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Early Sunday morning check before we head out for out 2.5 hour drive to a USPSA match in Missoula. Our ride broke down yesterday afternoon in Helena on our way home from the other match... so Pizza it was. That'll cost me another week. :(
  • carolssalva
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the feedback. Wow Markd, it takes you weeks to lose after a loss? Man, that puts it in perspective. I really need to look at the big picture and not day to day. And thanks everybody for the kind words and encouragement! :)

Hmrjmr: you are amazing! I love your reflection and the break through you had. I have had a two rare moments in my life when I was not hungry for any length of time. And I remember both of them. I have to say that eating lower carb does help. I'm not SUPER hungry all the time like I used to be. Now I am off and on throughout the day but I still miss that feeling of not being interested in food. It was SO much easier to use food as a tool when it isn't seducing you all the time. You and your 110lb loss… SO impressive!!

Heron: I might just need a new gadget to measure body fat. My iPhone camera is doing a pretty good job though. It is all about these thighs. I could really care less about how much muscle mass or body fat the gadgets show me. If I'm being completely honest, I just want less fat there. SO dang superficial, I know!! But maybe the gadget will give me motivation if I see numbers moving in the right direction. I need a superficial goal like this because as soon as I give up the pounds come back everywhere. Scary fast!

Keep up the greatness folks! I love reading about the uniqueness of everyone's journey!
  • carolssalva
    Options
    **** Please help me share the show we just posted with Rachel Guy *****

The link is easy: www.fat2fithq.com/101

Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, wherever. If it gets lots of shares and likes, we have a much better shot at landing more "big time" guests. And my internet boss, Jake Challand, will be happy with me. ;)

It is time for some real folks guests, though, too! I hope to do a show with JT soon and OF COURSE we will have the winners of this challenge on in mid September to recap if this made a difference for you.
    KEEP UP THE AWESOMENESS!!!
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sunday! I'm here.... tired but here.....
  • easmythcrna
    easmythcrna Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Fresh coffee and homemade banana bread is a great way to start a Sunday.