Dizziness

Options
Anyone experience dizziness post-op? Lately if I get up too fast or if I'm standing for too long I get dizzy and start to black out. I'm borderline diabetic and have low blood pressure so thinking that might be playing a role I it since I'm barely eating.

Replies

• FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy when I don't eat enough. I was also told to increase sodium to raise my pressure
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I had to drink g2 Gatorade and broth for my water. Took 5 months for me to be able to squat or bend over for any length of time with out staring to black out. The good news was that I could actually squat. Your bp will stabilize eventually.
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. The doctor says I'm doing everything right but I definitely feel like I'm not eating enough. I'm only averaging about 600 calories a day. I am getting my protein and fluids in though. I'll have to try eating more and increasing my sodium to see if that helps.
  • sarahViolet1977
    Options
    Drank a 1/4 bottle of Gatorade yesterday and no dizziness at all! That definitely makes me feel like is the blood super related for me....
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    Thanks for the info. The doctor says I'm doing everything right but I definitely feel like I'm not eating enough. I'm only averaging about 600 calories a day. I am getting my protein and fluids in though. I'll have to try eating more and increasing my sodium to see if that helps.
    You are eating enough. You are covered in fat. You are forcing your body to eat it. Just focus on protein, water and vitamins. You can't think like a normal wt person. Thin people don't have 300,000 calories stored in their body like we do.
  • aavamavaa
    Options
    A very low carb diet (which we're all on post op) has a diuretic effect. (It's why people "lose 10 lbs!" when they start Atkins, etc.) It's important to add salt, because with all that water being flushed out of your system, a lot of salt is going with it. I drink at least 2 cups of broth a day, or add pinches of salt to my water bottle (not that bad, really). I noticed the other day that I had skipped my broth, and I almost wiped out on several occasions getting up from seated.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Anyone experience dizziness post-op? Lately if I get up too fast or if I'm standing for too long I get dizzy and start to black out. I'm borderline diabetic and have low blood pressure so thinking that might be playing a role I it since I'm barely eating.

Borderline diabetic?
    How?
    Shouldn't surgery have taken care of that problem?
    When I started my process for surgery is when I found out I am diabetic...even though in the 1st 3 months I was able to get it down to 101 and now 2 more months after that its in the 90's, he actually said that having the surgery would take care of my being diabetic.
    Isnt that because we're not consuming all the bad things as before pre-op?
    I guess Im wondering how its possible for someone to be in this situation post-op...should I be worried??
  • sarahViolet1977
    Options
    A very low carb diet (which we're all on post op) has a diuretic effect. (It's why people "lose 10 lbs!" when they start Atkins, etc.) It's important to add salt, because with all that water being flushed out of your system, a lot of salt is going with it. I drink at least 2 cups of broth a day, or add pinches of salt to my water bottle (not that bad, really). I noticed the other day that I had skipped my broth, and I almost wiped out on several occasions getting up from seated.

I wasn't told to do a low carb diet post op. One of the things my nutritionist told me to get was instant mashed potatoes for the puree phase. I was just told to puree everything I ate so it was smooth until I got to the soft phase.

I can't eat salt or I swell up like a balloon. It does not agree with me at all.
  • sarahViolet1977
    Options

Borderline diabetic?
    How?
    Shouldn't surgery have taken care of that problem?
    When I started my process for surgery is when I found out I am diabetic...even though in the 1st 3 months I was able to get it down to 101 and now 2 more months after that its in the 90's, he actually said that having the surgery would take care of my being diabetic.
    Isnt that because we're not consuming all the bad things as before pre-op?
    I guess Im wondering how its possible for someone to be in this situation post-op...should I be worried??

I'm only 2 weeks out from Surgery. I haven't had any followup blood work done. I'm not diabetic but my sugar levels swing alot depending on what I eat or if I don't eat enough. When they drop at a fast rate I tend to get dizzy.
  • Mangopickle
    Options

I wasn't told to do a low carb diet post op. One of the things my nutritionist told me to get was instant mashed potatoes for the puree phase. I was just told to puree everything I ate so it was smooth until I got to the soft phase.

I can't eat salt or I swell up like a balloon. It does not agree with me at all.
    Have you tried the baby food section? They have all these great purées in pods that you can dole out, organic stuff as well. Pumpkin,squash,sweet potato etc.
  • sarahViolet1977
    Options

Have you tried the baby food section? They have all these great purées in pods that you can dole out, organic stuff as well. Pumpkin,squash,sweet potato etc.

I tried a few and what I did try was so gross. I'll have to go back and try something else. I'm having a hard time with this stage. Everything I eat tastes so bad.
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    I have been experiencing this too but had not gotten around to finding out the reason. I have checked my bp and it is fine.
    I am not diabetic. So I guess it must be low salt. I suspect I do not get quite enough. Will try that.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I perused the baby food aisle and grabbed some to try before surgery. I found some Earth's Best purees in Capri Sun style pouches that were pretty yummy. Butternut Squash and Pear combination was pretty good. They were on Sale for $1 each so I grabbed a few different flavors and threw them in my desk at work for a 60 cal snack and some training for the puree phase.

Rob
  • Mangopickle
    Options

I tried a few and what I did try was so gross. I'll have to go back and try something else. I'm having a hard time with this stage. Everything I eat tastes so bad.

Oops! Forgot to mention that I seasoned mine with 1 tbsp of coconut milk and curry powder or garlic and a pat of butter when heating them up.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    One of my co-morbidities was high blood pressure. I was taking 3 different meds and it was still borderline high pre-op. When I returned home after surgery I was experiencing dizziness upon standing so I checked it. I was hanging out around 90\60, sometimes lower. My medical team prescribed more fluids and the addition of G2 to replace electrolytes. Once I got myself well hydrated it went back up for a while, to the point I went back on the water pill only for a month or so, then back down as my weight dropped and I began exercising. I take no more meds for BP or anything other than a PPI now. I stil have the minor dizziness upon standing sometimes but it's not awful and I no longer feel like I'll black out. BP runs normal to low now. I still use G2 when I need it and it helps. I eat carbs now, regularly in addition to my high protein diet. I exercise hard 5 days per week and need the carbs too. My medical team tells me it's a hypoglycemic thing that many of us experience post-op. As long as I'm eating and drinking well, it's managable, at least for me. Good luck!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You are eating enough. You are covered in fat. You are forcing your body to eat it. Just focus on protein, water and vitamins. You can't think like a normal wt person. Thin people don't have 300,000 calories stored in their body like we do.

mangopickle is right - you are eating enough. 500-700 calories is normal post-op. it takes solid food to get to 1000 calories. I am 2 months out, and i feel good at 750 calories per day (i aim for 1000 though). don't push it. eating so little feels horrible at first, but your body adjusts. I went through the adjustment pre-op, and felt that weak headiness.
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had borderline high blood pressure pre-op. By 2 weeks post-op, I was experiencing dizziness and had to go off the BP meds. Talk to your Dr.! When is your post-op visit?

I can't believe how varied programs are! I am nearly 3 months out and am only supposed to have carbs a couple times a week! I had a lot of cottage cheese in the mushy phase!!
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had the dizzyness when standing up called postural hypotension which is a drop in blood pressure. It usually happens with older people but this surgery changes our body in many ways. I was told by my bariatric team to up my complex carbs and this did work for me.
    Puree is tough. I found any roasted meat pureed in gravy was ok. Fish with some sort of sauce was ok. Just count down the days then you will have the joy of introducing 'normal' foods!!!