Let's Get Personal.....Running Shorts/Underwear

Options

Replies

• Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    The next question is for those of you who ride, Do you wear underwear with your bibs or padded shorts cause that has got to be seriously uncomfortable.

Never crossed my mind to wear underwear if there is a built in liner and if there is no liner, lyrca is your next best mate.

Undies are chafing waiting to happen.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Do you wear underwear with your bibs or padded shorts cause that has got to be seriously uncomfortable.

Not when I'm wearing cycle shorts, that'd be horrible.

Otherwise, as above, only when I'm wearing a suit; when I'm riding my Brompton.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...I am definitely not investing in 6+ pairs of running shorts!

Does not compute. Can't comprehend.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

I think I own 8 pairs of shorts with liners, 2 pairs without, at least 3 skirts (tennis ftw), 5 pairs of tights, plus sooooo many capris.

I hate doing laundry & I seem to have a shopping problem lol

I've banned myself from buying more workout clothes.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I think I own 8 pairs of shorts with liners, 2 pairs without, at least 3 skirts (tennis ftw), 5 pairs of tights, plus sooooo many capris.

I'm right there with you! I have more running clothes than ''regular'' clothes... And I'm using my library closet as my running closet... Because my bedroom closet was overflowing with running clothes LOL
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have 13 pairs of running shoes. Also a lot of pairs of shorts, but that's more as part of the quest for the perfect shorts (short, light, stay where you put them, POCKETS), rather than needing to change them for every run. Of course you don't put your used underwear back on after a shower - that's when you're all nice and clean and are just about to start your (clean) day. But if you're running you won't know the difference in 5 minutes anyway, and nor will anyone else.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Well this thread has been quite an eye opener for me.

Do you gentlemen really run with just the liner and nothing more supportive? I did that once when I forgot to pack briefs for a lunchtime run at work and things move around to an uncomfortable degree. Much like how the ladies need a sports bra, I always assumed we blokes need briefs.

I don't much like having to apply lubes to avoid the briefs chafing on the long run, but I can't imagine being comfortable going without. Am I using the wrong kinds of shorts (are all running shorts not in fact the same?) or do I need to re-evaluate my thinking on this one?
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Commando with the winter asterisk. Except in winter, my running shorts liner is my underwear. (We were taught this in high school X-country.) In winter, I do wear the UnderArmour compression layer under the running shorts or tights to prevent freezing and cold snow, ice, & icicle encroachment.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I've only got four pairs of running shorts.

I also have three (shortly to be four) running skirts.

Two pairs of capris.

Three running tights.

To tell the truth, I wear each of them twice and I wear panties on shorter runs if its the first time I'm wearing the garment.

Some of them are getting loose, so I might have to invest in some better fitting stuff for longer runs :bigsmile:
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

yeah, that jumped out at me too...Like Josee, I also have a separate closet to fit all my running stuff. Not enough room in the bedroom.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Do you gentlemen really run with just the liner and nothing more supportive?

The mesh brief provides enough support and it's cooler than wearing anything else under. There's no physiological need for support in a similar way to women benefiting from a sports bra, it's really just a question of putting up with the movement.

I'm fine with running tights, did a 10K session with Ron Hill tracksters on and that was getting a bit uncomfortable as they're loose enough to allow movement, so that was mainly about chafing. Not enough movement to avoid the chafing, but enough to cause some. Probably wouldn't do that again.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

If I could I would, but as a soon-to-be-quite-poor grad student... 2 pairs of compression shorts + butt loads of underwear will do just fine. Currently saving some dollars so I can afford some nice tights/leggings for winter running because those are gosh darn expensive! Maybe one day I can afford an extensive running wardrobe and join the commando band wagon!
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

I'm right there with you! I have more running clothes than ''regular'' clothes... And I'm using my library closet as my running closet... Because my bedroom closet was overflowing with running clothes LOL

One entire drawer (36" by 15" by 8-10" that's the running bottoms, all athletic socks, sports bras, a baseball hat, bathing suits, goggles, and running hats/gloves. Another drawer of similar size for all athletic tops (had to 'file' my tops vertically), and running jackets are in another closet. AND I went through everything before my recent move.

Doesn't help that on weekends, I tend to hang out in workout clothes instead of real pants
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

If I could I would, but as a soon-to-be-quite-poor grad student... 2 pairs of compression shorts + butt loads of underwear will do just fine. Currently saving some dollars so I can afford some nice tights/leggings for winter running because those are gosh darn expensive! Maybe one day I can afford an extensive running wardrobe and join the commando band wagon!

TIP!

Under armour cold gear running tights, size down at least one size. Maybe two sizes. I went down one size (to a small) and I can't run in them. They slide down and I'm yanking them up for at least a mile. I got mine on clearance and use them for skiing instead.

The Old Navy tights are pretty decent. I also have a pair of Gap ones I got on clearance.

(I really really like the clearance racks - I don't think I've paid full price for anything)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I got most of my gear at an extreme discount on sales.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I buy expensive gear cheap on ebay. Most of the women selling the really expensive brands are the sort of people who go to a fashionable sportswear shop, buy the gear, use it maybe once, and then never exercise again. It's usually practically brand new (and you can tell if it's not from the pictures, and avoid).
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options

yeah, that jumped out at me too...Like Josee, I also have a separate closet to fit all my running stuff. Not enough room in the bedroom.
    I only have 4 pairs of shorts. I don't want to take up a bunch of room and that lasts me for a week through my usual laundry cycle. I see I'm in the minority here though.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

The mesh brief provides enough support and it's cooler than wearing anything else under. There's no physiological need for support in a similar way to women benefiting from a sports bra, it's really just a question of putting up with the movement.

I just imagine people pointing and laughing as you go swing-a-ling by ;-)

To each their own eh!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I just imagine people pointing and laughing as you go swing-a-ling by ;-)

To each their own eh!

Why would anyone point and laugh at a swinging c0ck? That's what they do, swing. It's natural. Like breast feeding.
  • MSRunner23
    MSRunner23 Posts: 107
    Options
    Add me to the commando list. Can't say I've ever considered wearing anything under my running shorts.