Adding fat to a salad...

Options
mjrose514
mjrose514 Posts: 60 Member
So I made this beautiful salad for lunch including chicken, colorful veggies and a vinaigrette. I'm still hungry so when I got to the ipad I checked the macros. Only fat was from the chicken.... Besides animal/protein ways, how else could I have added more fat to it? I know it wasn't even because I'm still hungry lol.

Replies

• 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1. Add oil or a high fat dressing ( creamy ones like ranch, blue cheese, etc.)
    2. Add seeds or nuts to it.
    3. Add avocado.
  • mjrose514
    Options
    I was afraid of that, the only thing I like out of those is nuts lol.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Olives?
    How about Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar dressing?
    High fat cheese?

What fats do you like and which ones are you eating on this LCHF way of eating?
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Vinaigrette is a mix of oil and vinegar, so I'm not sure how that could be fat-free. Oil = fat. What am I missing?
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    A couple other options:

1) Higher fat meats like Chicken Thighs, Beef, or Bacon
    2) Cheese
  • Andromache85
    Andromache85 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Change your dressing so you are eating a higher fat, low carb one...nuts, seeds, cheese, and avocadoes are all things I use in rotation on my salads.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Cheese, bacon, high fat dressing (ranch).
  • mjrose514
    Options
    Vinaigrette is a mix of oil and vinegar, so I'm not sure how that could be fat-free. Oil = fat. What am I missing?

That's what I thought! My hubby picked it up and it's good, but the label says no fats...
  • mjrose514
    Options
    Lol definitely cheese, but it still ended up with more carbs (cucumber, bell peppers, tomatoes, baby spring greens). Might have to do bacon, but it's soooo expensive right now.
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options

That's what I thought! My hubby picked it up and it's good, but the label says no fats...

Low-fat (no fat?) vinaigrette's do exist. But they are a sin against nature in my opinion. What in the world did they substitute for the oil to make a vinaigrette - I shudder at the thought. And many Vinaigrette's sneak in lots of carbs. Personally I like Marie's Balsamic Vinaigrette. It's among the lower carb of the vinaigrette's that I've found. Nutrition information is here: http://www.maries.com/product-detail.aspx?productID=19. There are many other's like that available.

Other thoughts: recently I got some chicken thighs on sale. I grilled them, then sliced up the meat and put them aside for salads. Yummy! Always go for the highest fat version of things where you have a choice.
  • mjrose514
    Options
    Lol it's a no sugar(though how idk), but it fruit juices in it, no msg or anything I couldn't read. Ideally I want to make my own, but we are a little low on funds
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Buy a bottle of olive oil and red wine or apple cider vinegar to make your own. Very inexpensive. And better for you than bottled dressings. You can add whatever herbs and spices you like.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Lol it's a no sugar(though how idk), but it fruit juices in it, no msg or anything I couldn't read. Ideally I want to make my own, but we are a little low on funds

Probably a trick of the labeling laws -- the serving's so small and the fruit juices so low on the list that there is half a gram or less of sugar/carbs, which can be labelled as "zero."
  • LeahMaria26
    LeahMaria26 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love putting sour cream through my salad with MCT oil
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Do you like taco salad type things? You can do that with some beef, sour cream, guacamole, and cheese. Plenty of fat!

There's also making your own dressing. If you have olive oil and some acidic liquid like lemon juice or apple cider/red wine vinegar, you can mix the two and add your own seasonings. Because you're in control of the olive oil, you can add a little extra of that.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, lots of protein and fat.
  • eatingfatbeingfat
    eatingfatbeingfat Posts: 41 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    -Soft goat cheese
    -Avacado
    -Bacon
    -Pumpkin seeds
    -Walnuts

Also, replacing a balsamic vinaigrette (usually has sugar....sigh) with a creamy or more oily dressing will do it. Slather it on! Also replacing chicken breast meat with chicken thigh or leg meat would help.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Olive oil, mayo, cheese, coconut oil, sour cream, avocado, melted butter, bacon

Watch out carbs on: nuts, avocado

Pinterest has lots of recipes for lchf, keto, etc.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Easy trick: leave the skin ON the chicken! And if you don't like olive oil, you could always add sliced or whole olives instead.
  • Collobrieres
    Collobrieres Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Make your own dressings using Extra Virgin olive oil with lemon or lime juice, preferably freshly squeeze or vinegar of choice. Start with more oil than vinegar so you find the ratio you like. What tastes great as one teaspoon might be too tart for you on a salad.

You can add in things like mustard, black pepper, sea salt, fresh chopped herbs, seeds (check packaging bc some seeds should be cooked), curry spices, milled flaxseed, nutritional yeast flakes and to add fat, 100% natural peanut butter, 100% natural Tahini, 100% natural cashew nut butter. A mini blender or a small whisk will incorporate the stiff outfitters and gloomy Tahini to normal consistency.

There are so many dressings you can invent !