What do YOU do to seek comfort ...

Options
I am trying to re-program my emotional response; such as instead of mindlessly going to the kitchen when I'm stressed or "to help me think" I am trying to read or listen to soothing (to me) music. I was wondering if anyone else would like to share what they are doing that works for them or have done. Perhaps it will help us all come up with more ideas:wink:

Replies

• GettingMooreInShape
    GettingMooreInShape Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like to take a warm shower, read a book or experiment with hair/makeup/outfits! These really help clear my mind and get me back on track.

Also, I've found putting a sign up on the door of my pantry has made a huge difference. It can just be something stupid like "Do you need this?" or "How you eat affects your happiness". Just something short and sweet that makes me stop to think, and reminds me that emotional eating will not make me happier in the future.
  • Veggie_mama
    Veggie_mama Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go for a walk on the treadmill, while listening to music or do some yoga. It's not for everyone and I will be the first to admit that I do still seek comfort from food on occasion. I don't feel good about it, but old habits die hard.
  • conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am trying to re-program my emotional response; such as instead of mindlessly going to the kitchen when I'm stressed or "to help me think" I am trying to read or listen to soothing (to me) music. I was wondering if anyone else would like to share what they are doing that works for them or have done. Perhaps it will help us all come up with more ideas:wink:

One of the things i do....
    Whenever I find myself habitually going into the kitchen to look in the fridge, I fill up a glass of water... I end up drinking a LOT of water that way... helps with getting all the water in. Then I pet my kitties on the way back - to reward myself for not eating.

Also I don't keep any ready made foods at home, so I can't just grab something and snack on it ... or pretend that the fridge is 'unlocked' only during certain meal time intervals of the day. The rest of the time 'the food inside is poisonous'... those are just some little mental games I play with myself to keep away from falling into pacing to the fridge habit.
  • TheTaz4
    TheTaz4 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks, these ideas do help, really appreciate everyone's willingness to share:drinker:
  • classykaren
    classykaren Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is new for me, it is a work in progress. So far it has been working to some degree. I stop, think why do I want to eat. Then analyse this, rather it be hurt feelings or what have you and try to live in the moment and try to cope with the problem at hand as opposed to eating my emotions. I also have a smooth rock that I rub between my fingers. It is kind of weird but it does soothe my soul. :huh:
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good question.
    I do the same exact thing. Any time something upsets me or if I need to think, I go to the kitchen and search for food.
    I have two little kids at home, so I am unable to leave them to go shower or meditate, yoga, read, ect. In fact, most of the things I go running to the kitchen for are related to them arguing, hurting each other, or destroying my home.
    I like the idea of going for water or maybe tea. Also, login to MFP or other social media and see if anything is new.
    Also, I just started a notebook that I am carrying around to write in to-dos, and other important info that pops up. I think maybe writing stuff down write away might help with some of my stress. (I tend to be a bit disorganized.)
    Perhaps I might also start a notebook where I can vent a bit.
    Good luck, I'm going through the same thing.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I started by NOT eating outside of my food plan.
    That is I weigh and measure all of my food and log it on MFP fairly soon after I eat it.
    I have found that through that process I have become aware of when I want to eat for reasons other than hunger.

I wasn't able to do it the other way round - I wouldn't stop because I was unaware.
    I gradually became aware of my thoughts - ie I went to the fridge one evening and before I could get anything out of the fridge my thoughts told me it wouldn't be enough.
    I hadn't even eaten anything and it wasn't going to be enough?
    I realised that this was an irrational thought and rather ridiculous.

Since I log everything I eat and have been successful at weightloss so far I now allow myself to eat if I have enough calories left in the day for example.
    This has allowed my to have the odd thing in the evenings as a snack.
    I stay away from junk food as it seems to create more cravings rather than solving anything.
  • macandjeeze
    Options
    I curl up in my bed with a good set of headphones and look through my music collection on my iPad. I try to find a song that is comforting and I listen to it a few times.

Or, I will make a cup of tea.

Or both!
  • HisStrengthCounselor
    HisStrengthCounselor Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I pray to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to help me, take a walk, listen to good music
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I pray to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to help me, take a walk, listen to good music

Best reply yet!
  • Tigg_
    Tigg_ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think music is a big thing for me so I'll either put my headphones in and go for walk with the dog which I love or put headphones in and do loads of writing.

I've found it helpful of MFP because I'm becoming more mindful of what I eat and I'm going to try and keep up to date with this by adding in any potential triggers in the notes section.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Here are things that I find comfort in that are not food:
    -Music
    -My dogs
    -a cup of tea
    -a book
    -curl up in bed
    -go for a long drive
    -do something or buy something for my loved ones
    -puzzles (jigsaw, sudoku, apps)
  • in_the_end
    in_the_end Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If I have already started to make a trip to the fridge/starting the pattern of eating to de-stress I start chewing gum. It helps break the cycle because I don't want to eat when I'm chewing gum.

In terms of comfort: drinking warm tea or taking a bath is helpful. Reading can help sometimes. Calling or texting a friend. Feeling connected to others can be helpful and listening to other people talk about their day can be a distraction from my own stress.
  • CourtneyCL
    CourtneyCL Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post the same question as TheTaz. :ohwell:
    Reading through everyone's responses has been helpful. I have four small kids, so curling up in bed, or yoga, isn't always practical, but maybe heading out the door for a walk with the herd in tow would work. That would get my exercise in, let them burn off some energy, and destress all at the same time.