FULL fat Ice-cream and Cheese PALEO

Options
I noticed that I don't do well with dairy products like yogurt in the past or milk.. so another reason i think PALEO works for me..
but BRIE cheese is working out well.. I eat it often...and then people talk about FULL fat ice-cream...

do you mean like your normal FULL FAT Vanilla Haagen-dazs? how can you eat that if it has 25 Carbs... or is it a special brand of Organic something that i dont know about from Trader Joes.

give it UP guys... that would be a fun treat every now and then..

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Maybe its the real deal?? maybe a homemade made with full fat cream and no added chemicals?? organic? thats a guess though
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You can eat it because paleo is not a "low carb" diet by definition. If you decided to eat some ice cream today you would still be much lower carb than most Americans. And you could still fall into the "low carb" category while eating ice cream. This isn't all or nothing. Some people can't/won't/don't eat ice cream and other can/do/will eat it. It is a personal choice and you have to see how your body reacts and if it can fit into your lifestyle and goals.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You can eat it because paleo is not a "low carb" diet by definition. If you decided to eat some ice cream today you would still be much lower carb than most Americans. And you could still fall into the "low carb" category while eating ice cream. This isn't all or nothing. Some people can't/won't/don't eat ice cream and other can/do/will eat it. It is a personal choice and you have to see how your body reacts and if it can fit into your lifestyle and goals.

I have been reading alot .. and although PALEO says... NO DAIRY... but i am assuming it means ( no dairy you cant tolerate or sometimes i hear ONLY FULL fat dairy ).. so i am trying to undersand.. ad figure out anyone who actually eats ice-cream and which one they eat... alot of PALEO people love specific organic brands of cream and things.. like from trader joes
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Ultimately "paleo" means avoid things that your body doesn't hnadle well. If dairy gives you gas or makes you sick then it isn't a part of your paleo template. If you can eat dairy and your body doesn't have anegative reaction then you can eat dairy. It is as simple as that. This is where something like a Whole 30 comes in handy. You do the "strict" form of paleo for 30 days and then after 30 days you add back foods that can cause an intolarence one at a time to see how your body reacts. Does it cause cravings? Then maybe it shouldn't be in your toolkit. Does it make your belly hurt? Then it definitely shouldn't be on your menu.

Raw dairy is best, but not everyone can afford that. Happy cows are next best, local dairy, etc. If not go for organic...from wherever you want to buy it Trader Joe's is an option. It is generally considered a good idea to avoid conventionally raised dairy.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Ultimately "paleo" means avoid things that your body doesn't hnadle well. If dairy gives you gas or makes you sick then it isn't a part of your paleo template. If you can eat dairy and your body doesn't have anegative reaction then you can eat dairy. It is as simple as that. This is where something like a Whole 30 comes in handy. You do the "strict" form of paleo for 30 days and then after 30 days you add back foods that can cause an intolarence one at a time to see how your body reacts. Does it cause cravings? Then maybe it shouldn't be in your toolkit. Does it make your belly hurt? Then it definitely shouldn't be on your menu.

Raw dairy is best, but not everyone can afford that. Happy cows are next best, local dairy, etc. If not go for organic...from wherever you want to buy it Trader Joe's is an option. It is generally considered a good idea to avoid conventionally raised dairy.

Ok perfect.. I get it.. ORGANIC good.. and 1 food at a time to see tolerance.. I would love to get back to yogurt and icecream one day.. but not yet... soon..
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to milk protein (casein), so for me, full-fat dairy is doable (we're talking sour cream, butter, full cream in my coffee or with berries). I also try to limit dairy to a couple days a week (those are my primal days). I can do full-fat cheese in moderation, too, but again, I need to limit dairy.

I learned my lesson when I had a glass of whole milk a few weeks ago and ended up with diarrhea for days. More than a week, actually. Guess my body was letting me know that the old days of eating anything at all are really in the past now.

I think before paleo/primal my body was used to working with damaging foods (like dairy) so I didn't get the runs when I drank milk, 'cause I drank it every day. But now that my body has been able to heal somewhat, it objects to the foods it finds troublesome, and I see a real, measurable difference in my health.

p.s. I will do premium ice cream once in awhile. It has to have no chemicals in the ingredients list, no artificial colors or flavors, and no carageenan. Yes, it's got a lot of sugar. But I have one or two days a week where I "high carb" (for me that's between 100-150g of carbs in a day) because low-carbing without a break can be hazardous for people with thyroid issues.