Introductions

Options
TammiBrewer
TammiBrewer Posts: 36 Member
Hi, my name is Tammi.

I have decided that I am going to have the VSG surgery in September 2014. My tentative surgery date is the 4th. I'm still waiting on final insurance approval.

The closer it gets, the more excited I feel. I've been looking at WLS for half a year now. After discussing with my doctor and my husband, I have decided it is the right choice for me.

I am looking for all the support I can get as I know how important it will be to my success. This is why I've created this group. Hopefully, others will be able to utilize it in the same way.

Replies

• CrainT1
    CrainT1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Trina,
    I was sleeved on December 10, 2013. I have been on the path to weight loss all my life and decided to make a drastic decision with this surgery. For those of you who are going to have it two things, it is NOT a magic wand, you have to work at it and still make better choices each day with food and exercise. Also for me it was very painful and tough recovery, as you are not able to eat to help you recover your strength afterwards, be prepared.

But it was a great decision for me. I have lost a total of 94lbs with only about 30lbs to reach my goal weight. But it has been a struggle and there are definitely some days I want to give up! But with the surgery you are not normal anymore and cannot eat or drink things others can anymore. Yes you can stretch your stomach back out, yes you can drink carbonated beverages and do the same, but after spending so much time and money on this surgery and effort WHY?????

I still make mistakes, like yesterday after the gym went to the grocery store (wrong time to go when I am hungry and thirsty) so I got things I should not have in my cart. And splurged on an Iced Vanilla Coffee Drink in the frig section, it was so cold, so yummy and I drank the whole thing on the way home. Well to leave out some fun details it was up and out the minute I got home and I was not able to eat solid foods the rest of the night. Managed a protein shake to finish up my day, and the next day still a little sore.

You will change after this surgery it will BREAK your relationship with food trust me, as what you want to have, that is bad, will general make you sick if you eat it too soon after recovery or too much of it. And I am sure you have heard of dumping, enough said about that it does happen. And there are no days off like birthdays, anniversaries or vacations you need to realize that going it and BE OKAY WITH IT. I tell my husband all the time I am just not a normal girl anymore, but he tells me nope you are not you are a smoking hot girl now..... LOL

I do love the new me, with more energy etc. I started at a TIGHT 22 and now I am in a 9/10 that is right I said 9/10, will probably end up in a size 7/8 at the end of my journey. But I work at it, doing my journaling, getting support, exercise and making better choices. I would be happy to friend anyone looking the surgery or recently post-surgery with questions as been there done that. I am sure that is more than an intro but what the heck!!!
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Hi, my name is Robyn.
    I had my VSG September 2011 - nearly 3 years out.

I was originally down 100 lbs (205 to 105.)
    I went into maintenance in April and ended up gaining - I am now 118 and working on pulling it back down.
    :)

Good luck!
  • diditonthefloor
    diditonthefloor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Gwen.

I started the required 6 month class series about 18 months ago, but had to stop to travel to my home state to care for my senior dad. I just restarted a new series last night. At first, I was frustrated because had I finished the original series, I'd be 6+ months post op and probably down 70-80 lbs by now. Grrr. Instead, I'm starting all over. But then I realized, I've read so much more , and I've learned a lot from a couple of smart cookies on youtube, too. In fact, I've already been working the chewchewchew thing and have changed to 5 small meals. As someone else said - BABY STEPS.

I've successfully lost hundreds of pounds. Unfortunately, I've also been pretty darned successful in regaining them, along with more than a few of their friends. :p So I'm looking at vsg as a TOOL to help me succeed and more importantly, to maintain. If things go according to plan, I'm looking at a March 2015 surgery date and no more perky weight watchers leaders EVER.
  • TammiBrewer
    TammiBrewer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My insurance company approved my VSG surgery today. I am really excited.
  • Gwen_GettingHealthy
    Options
    Hi! I'm Gwen. I had vsg in November 2013. I am 100 pounds down.
  • kittenincalgary
    kittenincalgary Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hello, Im Allison. Im up in Calgary, Canada and I'm pre-op for VSG. I finished the classes in the local program back in January, but am finally meeting my surgeon at the end of August and I'm hoping to have surgery before the end of the year (Things work a little slower up here)
  • SaveMe2013
    SaveMe2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Lauren!
    I had the sleeve done Jan 22, 2014. I am down 65 lbs. since. It has been quite a ride! Exciting, thrilling, uplifting, depressing, scary, enlightening. surprising. Quite a mixture of emotions. No one said it would be easy and no one is telling you it will be but worth it? Yes, most of the time I say yes. I toyed with doing this for 8 years and I kick myself all the time for not doing it sooner! I wasted sooo much time. I feel so much better. I am healthier, I am more flexible, and of course I look a hell of a lot better! But.... Wish I could say it ends there. It isn't all peaches and cream. Some recoveries aren't the easiest. My surgery was pretty much pain free. Lucky me! Follow ALL of your doctors directions to make sure you give yourself the best chance at success. Remember the sleeve is only a tool to help you lose weight! My problem now is that although my stomach may be smaller, I struggle everyday to keep it there. My eating disorder DID NOT GO AWAY! I was good for a couple of months but the same old bad habits are creeping back in. I have been struggling for the past couple of months with trying to lose more weight and lost the good eating habits. I stopped recording what I was eating. Stopped paying attention to the amount of protein which is really important for me. I need to use My Fitness Pal to be held accountable for my eating and help me be aware of what I am doing and help me win this never ending battle. That is why I joined this group. Hoping to find some support while supporting others with the same goals, struggles, and successes.
    Like I said before, It isn't easy, but it is exciting! You will great in a couple months.
    My new theme song is "A Whole New World"
    I sing it all the time! Enjoy the ride! Enjoy the new you that awakens from within!