My Name is Hashimoto's

Options

Replies

• Katiedhuey
    Katiedhuey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to have found this forum. I've just recently been diagnosed as "probable" Hashi, even though my blood tests are within the normal range. I also have RA and Lupus, so I've hit the AI jackpot. ????. Soon after my diagnosis of RA in 2000, I saw a doctor who I ultimately dismissed as something of a quack; he told my my thyroid levels were like those of a 90 year old woman (I was 28 at the time) and he put me on Armor. I had so much going on at the time with my joints and inflammation and everything, I honestly can't tell if the Armor made me feel any better. After about two years, my gyno convinced me to go off the Armor because he said I didn't need it. I was sick and tired of being on so many meds, so I did. Fast forward to now, my RA & lupus are under control and I can walk and do everything I want now, but I'm having all the thyroid symptoms- extreme fatigue, feeling like there's a hand pressing on my throat, dry skin, weight gain, depression, muddled thoughts, etc., etc., ad nauseum. My blood work is still "normal" though on the low end of the range, my antibodies are higher, though still "normal" and the tests don't seem to reflect how dreadful I feel. The only positive test result I've had are a mess of nodules found on ultrasound. None are bigger than 2 cm, and they all look benign, so no cancer worry. I have an appointment with the endo next week to try to convince him to let me try out some meds, because nothing is getting better.
    Anyone have any thoughts on meds? Should I try the Armor again, since I was on it once before? Or a synthetic? Anyone else on here dealing with RA or lupus or both in addition to all this thyroid garbage?
  • flipleis
    flipleis Posts: 11
    Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on meds? Should I try the Armor again, since I was on it once before? Or a synthetic? Anyone else on here dealing with RA or lupus or both in addition to all this thyroid garbage?

Wow, that is tricky indeed. Maybe you are just more sensitive in re: to your blood level and AI antibodies than other folks - i.e, what is normal for some, may be high for you. I was wondering if you have considered going gluten-free? Since you are dealing with other AI problems - GF may really make a difference for you. In addition, (and again, this varies from person to person) perhaps adding supplemental iodine may help - (eating seaweed like kelp, dulse or bladderwrack is another way to get it into your system.) My doctor is a believer in adding iodine, while others say stay away. When I get my thyroids checked, I get my iodine checked as well. Just mentioning as it might be helpful for you. Also I would recommend going to an integrative physician. They look at the whole person: not just labs, diagnostics, medication etc., but also nutrition, additional modalities, etc.
  • goodgirlsue41
    goodgirlsue41 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I wanted to thank you for creating this group and for posting this list, as well as everyone else who commented. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's after several years of unexplained symptoms and medical tests that turned up nothing. More recently I had significant anxiety and a host of odd symptoms that I attributed to anxiety. Anyway, it's comforting to read about so many others who are experiencing similar things, as well as having a place to go to ask a question or get advice.

Cheers! Susan
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to have found this forum. I've just recently been diagnosed as "probable" Hashi, even though my blood tests are within the normal range. I also have RA and Lupus, so I've hit the AI jackpot. ????. Soon after my diagnosis of RA in 2000, I saw a doctor who I ultimately dismissed as something of a quack; he told my my thyroid levels were like those of a 90 year old woman (I was 28 at the time) and he put me on Armor. I had so much going on at the time with my joints and inflammation and everything, I honestly can't tell if the Armor made me feel any better. After about two years, my gyno convinced me to go off the Armor because he said I didn't need it. I was sick and tired of being on so many meds, so I did. Fast forward to now, my RA & lupus are under control and I can walk and do everything I want now, but I'm having all the thyroid symptoms- extreme fatigue, feeling like there's a hand pressing on my throat, dry skin, weight gain, depression, muddled thoughts, etc., etc., ad nauseum. My blood work is still "normal" though on the low end of the range, my antibodies are higher, though still "normal" and the tests don't seem to reflect how dreadful I feel. The only positive test result I've had are a mess of nodules found on ultrasound. None are bigger than 2 cm, and they all look benign, so no cancer worry. I have an appointment with the endo next week to try to convince him to let me try out some meds, because nothing is getting better.

I have had Joint pain for a few years now and tested positive for RA antibodies. I didn't go to a rheumatologist like my doc suggested since I know the first thing they would do is put me on prednisone or some other horrible steroid to mask the symptoms.

By experimenting with elimination diets, I found that milk and gluten are problematic for me. By going gluten free, it reduced my joint pain to almost nothing. I actually doubted myself and went back to eating gluten after 6 months of being gluten free and all the pain came back. So I don't need to repeat that experiment again.

I actually don't tell anyone that I am gluten free because it seems like the latest food fad. It is also vilified on mfp too. However I noticed the improvement in my joint pain, skin and digestion so I am happy to give up gluten with no worries.

Fwiw, I am baking a lot more to satisfy my bread and cookie cravings. Almond flour and flax meal is my friend

I'm on Armour for my Hashis and it has really helped in reducing the excess weight, fatigue and depression, although it took a while to adjust the dosage up to the right level so I suggest being patient with that. I have high antibodies, classic hashis symptoms and thyroid nodules, but tsh is normal.

I am now prediabetic, unfortunately, with elevated fasting blood sugar and impaired postprandial numbers too. So I am also on a low carb diet too. I am finding it more difficult to go low carb than being gluten free.

I have other AI issues. I am hoping that continuing the gluten free diet will help with those in the long run.
  • Mlosborne70
    Mlosborne70 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Loved that read , most people wont ever understand. I am a 44yr old female , I have been dealing with Hoshi for 16 yrs. I have been an Endo Dr's , Dream.. or Nightmare I am not sure which! lol

In my early 20's I was seen for infertility... late 20's after having Quads. I was seen for Thyroid/ Hoshi ... now in my 40's I am dealing with insulin resistance / pre diabetic..

Trying hard to revamp my life style .. with new Thyroid meds ( as they took my brand off the shelf last spring) Getting on the right low carb diet workout plans.. so I don't become diabetic!! I am still not 100% sold on my Tirosint .. I do know that I don't have heart palpitations... an that is one good thing!

I have been here a month an have no friends! :ohwell: I do find reading the messages have been helpful. I am working on going gluten free.... I eat mostly lean meats, raw veggies an fruits. I do feel better , an my numbers have greatly improved! I am lucky that we live on a farm. We have good meat an eggs!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

I'm sorry I didn't see this until now!!

I would say maybe try WP Thyroid or Nature Throid over Armour. They did something to change their formulation and it isn't as effective anymore. I personally LOVE Nature Throid.

I don't have lupus or RA, but I do have suspected Celiac (stupid gastro refused to biopsy me to confirm since I didn't have positive blood tests to antibodies, only the antibodies that are made in my intestines). But it is very common to get several AI diseases once the first one settles in.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Ack! Really? Egads! I mentioned food sensitivity test on another thread and got my head bit off...do you recommend that? If so, how does one go about it?

By the way, I want to compliment you and your poetic description of this disease - how multi-faceted it is, it's a real trickster. You managed to 'humanize' it in a way that really helps.

Food sensitivity and intolerance isn't unheard of in us Hashi folks. I'm actually going to get the MRT (Mediator Relsease Test) this month to see what I react to at the recommendation of my Crossfit coach. The test uses your blood to see how it reacts to 100+ different foods and chemicals, I think it's close to 190 different items. I could be wrong. It's pricey, but to me will be worth it to see what I shouldn't be eating. Look into it!

Humanizing this disease really does help since it's mostly invisible. I'm glad you're here :)
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Hello,

I wanted to thank you for creating this group and for posting this list, as well as everyone else who commented. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's after several years of unexplained symptoms and medical tests that turned up nothing. More recently I had significant anxiety and a host of odd symptoms that I attributed to anxiety. Anyway, it's comforting to read about so many others who are experiencing similar things, as well as having a place to go to ask a question or get advice.

Cheers! Susan

Hello Susan!

thank you so much for the kind words and for joining :) I'm so glad you're here.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Loved that read , most people wont ever understand. I am a 44yr old female , I have been dealing with Hoshi for 16 yrs. I have been an Endo Dr's , Dream.. or Nightmare I am not sure which! lol

In my early 20's I was seen for infertility... late 20's after having Quads. I was seen for Thyroid/ Hoshi ... now in my 40's I am dealing with insulin resistance / pre diabetic..

Trying hard to revamp my life style .. with new Thyroid meds ( as they took my brand off the shelf last spring) Getting on the right low carb diet workout plans.. so I don't become diabetic!! I am still not 100% sold on my Tirosint .. I do know that I don't have heart palpitations... an that is one good thing!

I have been here a month an have no friends! :ohwell: I do find reading the messages have been helpful. I am working on going gluten free.... I eat mostly lean meats, raw veggies an fruits. I do feel better , an my numbers have greatly improved! I am lucky that we live on a farm. We have good meat an eggs!

It's not unheard of for folks to suffer for yeeaaarrssssss before getting a proper diagnosis.simply because Dr's like to think they know everything and refuse to run the one simple test we need to know. I don't understand why they act that way, it's not like they pay for the test!!! >_<

Good to hear you are doing well so far. I can't wait to see your success story here some day once you get to your goal.

Welcome to our family :)
  • mcamping
    mcamping Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have just been diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Doctor says that I have probably had this for my years. I am 51 years old, been complaining of muscle cramps, fatigue, hair loss, cold all the time, ect. for many many years. I am glad that you have this post, lets me see how people deal with it and what I can do.
  • leatrisgwi
    Options
    Hashimoto's has been my constant companion for 25 years. So glad to have found this group. Love the poem, the first time I read it tears came to my eyes. So many years of being looked at as different - it helped me to balance myself on my "off" days knowing it wasn't about me so much as my "companion".

Looking forward to reading wisdom that you all have to offer. :flowerforyou:
  • leatrisgwi
    Options
    I have just been diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Doctor says that I have probably had this for my years. I am 51 years old, been complaining of muscle cramps, fatigue, hair loss, cold all the time, ect. for many many years. I am glad that you have this post, lets me see how people deal with it and what I can do.

Hello, it is a tough pill to swallow - especially since it is with you forever. But, having said that - knowing many of us have it in one form or another somehow makes it a little less stressful. So much knowledge is out there.

I have quit all gluten- flour, potatoes, sugar - and I have to tell you I feel so much better. Brain fog has cleared and energy has arrived. Good luck in your quest for better health.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Many people suffer for years silently because doctor's for some reason don't listen enough. Glad you found our group! :wink:
    Hashimoto's has been my constant companion for 25 years. So glad to have found this group. Love the poem, the first time I read it tears came to my eyes. So many years of being looked at as different - it helped me to balance myself on my "off" days knowing it wasn't about me so much as my "companion".

Looking forward to reading wisdom that you all have to offer.
    Welcome!!! :flowerforyou:
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last night. I had elevated TPOab for the last two blood tests. My endocrinologist wants to see me again in 3 months as my TSH and free T4 are supposedly within range, 4.08 and 1.0 respectively. I am fine with that for now because I have tried both Sythroid and Armour in the past when my TSH was 8.8. The numbers lowered (mid 2s) but my symptoms did not and I gained about 30 lbs on each. I have very painful edema that I have been told is not related to the thryoid (or any other function apparently). I was taking a diuretic to help alleviate the water retention but found out last week my kidneys are failing and had to stop. I ate a very high protein, mid-fat, low carb diet because it was what I tolerated and I thought helped with the edema.

I had PCOS and attributed my weight gain, hair loss, and other issues to that. I also had insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes until I lost 98 lbs 4 years ago (Atkins and exercise). 80 lbs are back, unfortunately. I also have a small pituitary tumor that I thought might have some impact.

I was tested 3 years ago and found to have food intorences to all grains (rice, corn, wheat, etc), nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, paprika, etc), all dairy, egg whites, caffeine. I also limit fruit because it raises my sugar and I do not want to be diabetic again. Subsequent testing lifted some restrictions, but I immediate became inflamed any time I added any of these foods. I was doing the GAPS diet until I found out about my kidneys. Now I am eating a ketogenic diet. I get my kidneys tested next week.

I do not have most of the symptoms of hypothyroid, but I do have several: inflammation is the worst, followed by edema, constipation, brain fog, and hair loss.

I am seeing a nutrionist/kinesiologist tonight for kidney and thyroid support.

I am so glad I found this group.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last night. I had elevated TPOab for the last two blood tests. My endocrinologist wants to see me again in 3 months as my TSH and free T4 are supposedly within range, 4.08 and 1.0 respectively. I am fine with that for now because I have tried both Sythroid and Armour in the past when my TSH was 8.8. The numbers lowered (mid 2s) but my symptoms did not and I gained about 30 lbs on each. I have very painful edema that I have been told is not related to the thryoid (or any other function apparently). I was taking a diuretic to help alleviate the water retention but found out last week my kidneys are failing and had to stop. I ate a very high protein, mid-fat, low carb diet because it was what I tolerated and I thought helped with the edema.

I had PCOS and attributed my weight gain, hair loss, and other issues to that. I also had insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes until I lost 98 lbs 4 years ago (Atkins and exercise). 80 lbs are back, unfortunately. I also have a small pituitary tumor that I thought might have some impact.

I was tested 3 years ago and found to have food intorences to all grains (rice, corn, wheat, etc), nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, paprika, etc), all dairy, egg whites, caffeine. I also limit fruit because it raises my sugar and I do not want to be diabetic again. Subsequent testing lifted some restrictions, but I immediate became inflamed any time I added any of these foods. I was doing the GAPS diet until I found out about my kidneys. Now I am eating a ketogenic diet. I get my kidneys tested next week.

I do not have most of the symptoms of hypothyroid, but I do have several: inflammation is the worst, followed by edema, constipation, brain fog, and hair loss.

I am seeing a nutrionist/kinesiologist tonight for kidney and thyroid support.

I am so glad I found this group.

Oh my.... well I am SO glad you found this group!!! I wonder if eating a moderate protein, high fat, low carb diet would be more suitable for you? Not as much prtein for your body to process. I'm not sure how your funds are, but if you could afford it - look into an MRT test (mediator release test). It will test your blood's reaction to a lot of different foods and be able to tell you which foods you react to which would cause inflammation.

Let us know how things work out with the nitruitionist and kinesiologist.
  • toadqueen
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions RoseTears143. I started a ketogenic diet as soon as I found out about my kidneys. I am eating 85/10/5 (Fats/Proteins/Carbs) and loving it. My nutritionist is on board but wanted me to eat a little more protein so I increased my calories. I am still very inflamed but less than if I eat otherwise.

My food sensitivities were initially identified by an allergist in 2011 with skin and blood tests. I am not sure what the tests were called. I saw a kinesiologist last year who confirmed them who I worked with for just under a year with little relief. A nutritionist earlier this year suggested a keto diet but he wanted me to eat a lot of coconut oil. I did not like it, was still inflamed and gave up. I am trying again with the new nutritionist.

I will look into the MRT you recommend. It certainly cannot cost more than the money I spend going from doctor to practitioner to quacks trying to figure out what is causing my pain and swelling only to be told that I am not swollen and I should take medication to relieve the pain.

Thanks again for your support and suggestions.
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Love this. It accurately describes what we go through. I actually had Hashi's and Graves disease first and now am hypo with Hashi's. Everyday I'm learning more and trying different things to see what works and what doesn't, but I can tell that when I get stressed, the other symptoms come back with a vengeance.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions RoseTears143. I started a ketogenic diet as soon as I found out about my kidneys. I am eating 85/10/5 (Fats/Proteins/Carbs) and loving it. My nutritionist is on board but wanted me to eat a little more protein so I increased my calories. I am still very inflamed but less than if I eat otherwise.

My food sensitivities were initially identified by an allergist in 2011 with skin and blood tests. I am not sure what the tests were called. I saw a kinesiologist last year who confirmed them who I worked with for just under a year with little relief. A nutritionist earlier this year suggested a keto diet but he wanted me to eat a lot of coconut oil. I did not like it, was still inflamed and gave up. I am trying again with the new nutritionist.

I will look into the MRT you recommend. It certainly cannot cost more than the money I spend going from doctor to practitioner to quacks trying to figure out what is causing my pain and swelling only to be told that I am not swollen and I should take medication to relieve the pain.

Thanks again for your support and suggestions.

Well when you word it like that (regarding cost), I completely agree with you!! This quote is usually written on a white board at my chiropractor's office and I love it: "The best doctor gives the least medicines." ~Benjamin Franklin :)
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Love this. It accurately describes what we go through. I actually had Hashi's and Graves disease first and now am hypo with Hashi's. Everyday I'm learning more and trying different things to see what works and what doesn't, but I can tell that when I get stressed, the other symptoms come back with a vengeance.

It's a steep elarning curve to see what works for your individual body, and can be very frustrating. But every day is another chance to see if what you are doing is either hurting or helping. Every day is another chance to fight it off. You may lose battles here and there, but if you never give up you will win the war. :drinker:
  • toadqueen
    Options
    I found a nutritionist who is in network for my insurance so I only have to pay for the MRT itself, the blood draw and a small co-pay for counseling. I am so looking forward to finding out what I can eat. Kidney results tomorrow. My next step is finding a holistic doctor with experience treating Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I really want a complete work up of my thyroid and pituitary hormones. I had low T3 in the past and have a pituitary tumor. No one has tested my T3 levels in years. When it was low, I was told that it was nothing to worry about so I didn't.

Chasing butterflies. I was bitten once by a butterfly a long time ago and told that was not possible because they do not have teeth. Now, we hardly see any...